Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I am thinking about picking up the Dell u2412 monitor and was wondering if anyone uses one with their Mac Pro and what do you think of it? I currently have the 24" LED Cinema Display, which has flickering and blackout issues, even after a firmware update. Those of you who use the U2412, does it experience any of these problems or does it perform flawlessly? What about image quality? Would you say it is comparable to a 24" Cinema display being they are the same resolution 1920x1200? I also like the fact that it has a matte screen which is much better than the glossy mirror on my cinema display. Also do you hook it up straight to DVI or use a mini display-DVI adapter?

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
I've used my U2412 with my Mac Pro (which I don't own anymore) and apart from 1 dead pixel this display was flawless. Dell's customer service is very good however, they swapped the display without asking questions and the one I have now is excellent.

But keep in mind, the U2412 is not a high-end IPS display, it's a mid-range IPS display.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
But keep in mind, the U2412 is not a high-end IPS display, it's a mid-range IPS display.

The 24" cinema display wasn't that great compared to most newer ones. I'd call the Apple displays and everything from Dell basically mid range. In this case it's sort of there to supplement a lower pricing tier, although some of Dell's displays are quite good. At higher price points, I'd say go for NEC. They're $779 here. I think I've seen them down into the 6s at B+H. I'm not a fan of Apple's displays. I'd usually say Dell at lower price points and NEC at Apple's price points assuming display quality is the primary motivator. Both of those also offer adjustable height so the display can be positioned precisely at eye level. I really prefer that.

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
The 24" cinema display wasn't that great compared to most newer ones. I'd call the Apple displays and everything from Dell basically mid range. In this case it's sort of there to supplement a lower pricing tier, although some of Dell's displays are quite good. At higher price points, I'd say go for NEC. They're $779 here. I think I've seen them down into the 6s at B+H. I'm not a fan of Apple's displays. I'd usually say Dell at lower price points and NEC at Apple's price points assuming display quality is the primary motivator. Both of those also offer adjustable height so the display can be positioned precisely at eye level. I really prefer that.
True, but the 24" LED Cinema Display is at least an 8-bit (H?-)IPS panel as far as I know. The U2412 is 6-bit+frc eIPS. Quite a noticable difference in my opinion.

The Dell U2410 is also a good buy in my eyes. :)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
True, but the 24" LED Cinema Display is at least an 8-bit (H?-)IPS panel as far as I know. The U2412 is 6-bit+frc eIPS. Quite a noticable difference in my opinion.

I was thinking of the older 24" cinema displays. I didn't even remember a specifically LED one. What has your experience been like with eIPS? I know I have to be careful how I profile my macbook pro. That is a 6 bit panel, but it's also a TN. Anandtech has a review of the U2412. The only thing I dislike is how they use a single Delta E bar graph as a point of comparison. It doesn't convey as much meaningful information, especially if you don't understand all of the factors in choosing a display. Other than that it's a decent review. NEC has a P232W out now at around $500 for a 23", which uses an H-IPS panel. I guess I wouldn't trust a used 24" Cinema, although I'm glad you pointed out that detail. I got their naming convention messed up there.

Also I agree the 2410 is a good buy. It has been out for a couple years, but none of the major brands have released major "flagship" level display changes since roughly 2010. They've been additions or replacements with minor tweaks. Apple added the thunderbolt docking functionality to an existing design. Eizo added in self calibrating versions of their 24" displays and a 27" in their CG line. NEC brought out sRGB designs at lower price points than the Adobe RGB PA displays. There isn't anything distinctively next generation at that level that I can find.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
What is it that you don't trust about the 24" Cinema Display? Fine if you don't like glossy but they are quality diaplays.

I think you are referring to the old 23", because with the 24" they were all LED backlit H-IPS.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
The 24" and 27" Apple displays are kind of old, but they are still excellent. They are IPS displays with top of the cream LCD panels of that generation. Very bright and the colors are fine.

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
I have two of them connected to 5870. Simply the best buy.

Me too, two. To a 5770. I like 'em.

I also have a third, VGA display connected to the card via DVI>VGA adaptor.

As long as I power up the displays before booting, all is well. If I boot, then turn on the displays, I get occasional flickers on one of the Dells.

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Did you try to connect other two DVI displys with active display adapter ?
I would connect DVI displays with active mini dp to DVI adapter and third one just to native DVI, and than convert it to VGA ?

Me too, two. To a 5770. I like 'em.

I also have a third, VGA display connected to the card via DVI>VGA adaptor.

As long as I power up the displays before booting, all is well. If I boot, then turn on the displays, I get occasional flickers on one of the Dells.

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
Did you try to connect other two DVI displys with active display adapter ?
I would connect DVI displays with active mini dp to DVI adapter and third one just to native DVI, and than convert it to VGA ?

The Dells are connected native Display Port. The third connector on the card is DVI. That drives the VGA monitor. All is well as long as the power-on sequence is adhered to.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
What is it that you don't trust about the 24" Cinema Display? Fine if you don't like glossy but they are quality diaplays.

I think you are referring to the old 23", because with the 24" they were all LED backlit H-IPS.

That is actually possible. I didn't have great luck with the imacs in that size range, but that might be different internally. Since you mentioned it, I'm not a fan of glossy displays.

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
What has your experience been like with eIPS?
Basically, an eIPS display has roughly the same color reproduction as cheaper TN panels, but without TN panels disadvantages like narrow viewing angles and bad contrast etc.

Not really usable for professional work, but for a hobbyist like me it gets the job done nicely. :)

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I am about to get the U2412 but I am still having second thoughts. Does anyone think it's crazy to "downgrade" from the glossy 24" Cinema Display which cost nearly $900 new in 2008 to the U2412 Dell display at around $300?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I am about to get the U2412 but I am still having second thoughts. Does anyone think it's crazy to "downgrade" from the glossy 24" Cinema Display which cost nearly $900 new in 2008 to the U2412 Dell display at around $300?

Yes, especially when their higher quality 27" models can be had for a couple hundred more.

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011

Do NOT do that.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010

Yes. Crazy. Cost isn't the issue. Issue is quality. U2412 variants as pointed out are 6-bit and have a AG filter from hell. Also they are slower responding and have lower color coverage than their earlier versions the U2410 and U2311 etc... I'd only spend money these days in the mid range on H-IPS, AH-IPS, PLS, select VA. The new IPS and PLS are using semi-gloss AG coatings and are true 8-bit. Best of both worlds IMO. Pure whites, low glare. As mentioned earlier the NEC P232W is a great buy right now with great reviews. Like most color specific display's it has some input lag if you are a super gamer it may detract and I would have bought one if it wasn't for that. If you want LED though the best would be Eizo's implementation followed by NEC. The Eizo FlexScan EV2436WFS looks like a winner. If you just need a decently cheap display try Asus. They have been getting great reviews and have been using PLS and IPS panels as of late. I'd pick them over Dell any day.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_p232w.htm
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-dell-u2412m.html
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-eizo-ev2436wfs-bk.html#Einleitung

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
The AG coating on the 2412 my current 30" replaced was strange enough that text was hard to read. The display itself was fine it calibrated quickly and evenly. There are better panel out there but I don't think there are better for $300

JimT1701

macrumors member
May 4, 2012
Massachusetts
I had two of them connected to my 2006 Pro with 5770 and I love them best displays for the money if you ask me. Had them for over a year and just recently connected them to my 2012 Mac Mini which is sadly replacing my Pro. (I hate being left behind by Apple in regards to OS updates which is my main reason for the switch, also it was time for a hardware upgrade after 6 years.) They still look great on the Mini great displays.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
Before I picked up my used 24 Cinema Display, I had used a 22" Asus IPS and it was awful. The text was so horrible looking and had a jagged look to it. Does the U2412 have this problem too? How does text look on it? Is it comparable to a Cinema Display?

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I use a 2412M, not with a Mac Pro, but sometimes as second screen for iMac, sometimes with Air.
On the plus side ... Price, adjustable stand, colour is good, and matte screen.
Not great for text, quite fuzzy, not as sharp as the Air or my 2007 iMac. Maybe people with professional calibrating gear get better results? And maybe I am just so used to glossy Mac screens, the iMac and Air may only seem sharper and more vibrant than the extremely flat (non-reflective) Dell.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
The AG coating plays a major role in text sharpness IMO. This is why I am not a Dell or 2007-2011 LG IPS fan. They slathered it on. Look at this users Asus VG23AH reviews. They seem to know what they are talking about and that this panel is a rare find.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1701734
Cheapest semi-gloss IPS out right now. Modern H-IPS and PLS do not use the AG text destroying coating but a type of AG that makes it hard to distinguish any "screen door effect". I have a glossy NEC 20WMGX2 and am not bothered with the new coatings in the least. If budget is not a concern get an Eizo. Their 23" - 24" IPS/ PLS panels are all of the new semi-gloss variety.

honopu

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
I have a dell u2412 on a mac pro with hd5770 in portrait mode. The text looks fine. It might be a case of not knowing what I'm missing but I am pretty happy with the monitor. Then again the korean 27" panels weren't as well known or didn't exist at the time i purchased this.

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I have both a 27" U2711 and the 23" U2312. the text is better on the U2711 but not by that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.