Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

britneyfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
Okay, let me play devil's advocate and say Apple starts releasing new iOS devices twice every year.
Wonderful, most of us have decided that we can't keep up and give up for a year and a half to two years. The reason why we're okay with this is because of our yearly software updates. Let's say they're cut in half from the usual 2 to 3 years?

What are the chances of this happening?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I don't care. I just need consistency. Without it, I cannot reliably sell off old stuff to pay for new stuff. Now that I've fallen out of the iPad update schedule, and I have no idea if I will jump back into it, I am thinking about sticking with the 3 until the Android apps I need become available (no telling at the moment if that will happen), and just moving over there.

The Nexus 7 has been nice (A little small for reading PDFs. but a nice size for ebooks and some content creation), the 10 outperforms the iPad in some respecta, and I could see myself getting more out of Android IF developers step up and deepen the amount of good offerings in each app category.

The Macs are nicer because you know upgrades are dependant on the Intel cycle. I tend to time my selling / purchasing much better with those.

britneyfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
I don't care. I just need consistency. Without it, I cannot reliably sell off old stuff to pay for new stuff. Now that I've fallen out of the iPad update schedule, and I have no idea if I will jump back into it, I am thinking about sticking with the 3 until the Android apps I need become available (no telling at the moment if that will happen).

The Macs are nicer because you know upgrades are dependant on the Intel cycle. I tend to time my selling / purchasing much better with those.
Yeah. That's true.

I bought an iPad 3 and I didn't like it. It just wasn't practical for me.
I honestly didn't think a new iPad was coming out, but sure enough it did and now I'm stuck with an iPad that lost $300 in value.

I LOVE my iPhone more than anything and I think I use it like crazy. I had a 4, 4S and now a 5. I upgraded it and said "this is it. NO more for two years or more." I figured the 3GS still works fine, so why do I need a new one every year. So by then, 3 or more iPhones come out? What does that mean for a) resale value and b) software updates? Very sticky situation.

I just bought a mini and was hesitant. I did it because the form factor is attractive. I think I'm only going to keep it for a year. (I'll get a new one next Christmas)

----------

So Apple only supports your iPad 4 for 1 year?

Not happening.
I don't know. A lot of people may buy a new one if that happens.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
i dont mind apple making new devices and next gen devices, nobody needs to buy the next best thing and you can always skip the next generation or two as long as apple validates my warranty, i still have an ipad 3 still under warranty, so if ever i have to claim my warranty, apple would upgrade me to an ipad 4 :D

ive had this happen before when i was on my iphone 3g and i returned it only to get a 3gs :)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I think it's fine. The iPad bump made plenty of sense because it ditched the 30-pin adapter on all latest-gen devices. Apple doesn't really have a specific time of year for computer updates, so doing the same for tablets and phones makes sense. I mean if all of a sudden you can bump all storage up on iPads and offer an A7 in May, why wait until fall when every competitive device may have beaten you?

I think most of these updates would be like the iPad 4, mostly internal stuff. Big physical changes will come, but you don't want people needing new accessories on every six-month refresh.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Yeah. That's true.

I bought an iPad 3 and I didn't like it. It just wasn't practical for me.
I honestly didn't think a new iPad was coming out, but sure enough it did and now I'm stuck with an iPad that lost $300 in value.

I LOVE my iPhone more than anything and I think I use it like crazy. I had a 4, 4S and now a 5. I upgraded it and said "this is it. NO more for two years or more." I figured the 3GS still works fine, so why do I need a new one every year. So by then, 3 or more iPhones come out? What does that mean for a) resale value and b) software updates? Very sticky situation.

I just bought a mini and was hesitant. I did it because the form factor is attractive. I think I'm only going to keep it for a year. (I'll get a new one next Christmas)

----------

I don't know. A lot of people may buy a new one if that happens.

I am thrilled with the iPad 3, so getting kicked in the teeth like this by Apple sucks, but at least it happened with a great product. I'd hate to be outside the upgrade cycle without a Retina display.

The iPhone is losing its attraction, especially when compared to my Samsung III. But, I think by this time next year I'll just have a tablet (iPad or Android) and retire both. I don't see much point in having a phone anymore. I make only a handful of calls every year anyhow.

Hamburger

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
i don't really give a toss when apple update. i buy when i need a product.
i have the ipad mini and will keep it for at least two years, even if it has retina in march. before that i had ipad1.
there are still many people here with ipad1 or 2 who don't see a need to upgrade. or those with 2007 imacs or 2009 mbps.
of course it is nice to have the latest product, but it is definitely not a necessity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.