Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I'm in need of a new Mac Pro replacement case. How hard is it to swap out and where to buy from?

I bought a second hand system on Ebay from a so called trust seller. The exterior of the system was practically beat to death with scratches etc.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I'm in need of a new Mac Pro replacement case. How hard is it to swap out and where to buy from?

I bought a second hand system on Ebay from a so called trust seller. The exterior of the system was practically beat to death with scratches etc.

Ouch.

Maybe you can fight to get a refund?

It'll be much better to buy another one than to get the case.

In any case (no pun intended) try craigslist and ebay again just for a case.

Out of curiosity, which Mac Pro did you get? The year...

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
It's not worth the hassle dealing with the seller to get a refund since the sell did not go smooth after the initial purchase i.e. promised delivery times etc.

I bought another 6 core 3.3MHZ 2010 model Mac Pro.

Ouch.

Maybe you can fight to get a refund?

It'll be much better to buy another one than to get the case.

In any case (no pun intended) try craigslist and ebay again just for a case.

Out of curiosity, which Mac Pro did you get? The year...

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
It's not worth the hassle dealing with the seller to get a refund since the sell did not go smooth after the initial purchase i.e. promised delivery times etc.

I bought another 6 core 3.3MHZ 2010 model Mac Pro.

There is nothing complex about it. eBay favour the buyer. You can spend around £400 on a new case or you can take 2 minutes to file a dispute 'Not as described'. You then send the item back with a trackable delivery option. Update the case with tracking and that is that. If you can show you sent it back with a tracking number eBay/Paypal will force the refund. It's a buyers market.

Is there a REAL reason you're not sending it back?

Here is a cheap one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-922-8...082?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a269757ea

Another one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Empty...7771?pt=US_Computer_Cases&hash=item5d36d9bc8b

And another: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW...347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1f50d36b

Last edited:

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Yes. I don't want to deal with the POS that sold me the system nor do I have the time.

You're welcome for the links. Boggles the mind to think that you have the time to replace the entire contents of a Mac Pro into a new case but couldn't organise collection and delivery of a miss sold Mac Pro. Each to their own i'm sure but the cases aren't cheap.

I was simply saying that you don't have to say a word to the seller, just file a dispute and send it back, honestly it's as easy as paying for it.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Unfortunately eBay don't force the seller to reimburse return shipping when an item is returned "Not As Described". You will need to send it tracked & insured which will amount to quite a lot for something the size & weight of a Mac Pro.

I always thought that the Mac Pro was pretty indestructible until I dropped mine while moving house. It was only a few inches maybe a foot or so but the weight combined with it dropping on the front right hand corner irreparably bent the foot & case so it is now propped up with a stack of beer mats under that corner.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
I have just taken apart an old PowerMac G5. I did it with a little bit help of iFixit, but mostly on my own. Took me 1/2 hours to get everything out, so you can say that you will probably spend 3-4h transplanting a Mac Pro.
It isn't too hard, you need to look close where the screws are and you need about 3 different screwdrivers.

GHouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
Yes. I don't want to deal with the POS that sold me the system nor do I have the time.

Thanks for the links.

But you have the time to spend on installing a new case? That's ass-backwards.

If the damage is just scratches and it doesn't affect the performance, why bother? Changing the case on a Mac Pro is a ROYAL pain in the ass. I wouldn't recommend doing it.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
No matter if you think it's ass-backwards or not, it's my money that was spent on the system and don't want to bother with the hassle of dealing with the previous owner, shipping etc as explained. A local shop had a case in stock and was swapped out today. Took an hour. For the so called Royal pain in the ass it was well worth it and looks 10 times better than the old case.

But you have the time to spend on installing a new case? That's ass-backwards.

If the damage is just scratches and it doesn't affect the performance, why bother? Changing the case on a Mac Pro is a ROYAL pain in the ass. I wouldn't recommend doing it.

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
I bought a used Mac Pro with a partially deformed rear leg, saving myself $300. I named it "Stephen", not for the late Mr. Jobs, but for Mr. Hawking... great internals, messed up case.

Stephen resides in a machine room, so all clients ever see is his wonderful performance.

Reactions: karsten

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
i bought a used mac pro with a partially deformed rear leg, saving myself $300. I named it "stephen", not for the late mr. Jobs, but for mr. Hawking... Great internals, messed up case.

Stephen resides in a machine room, so all clients ever see is his wonderful performance.

That made me laugh. Thanks

ClassObject

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2010
i bought a used mac pro with a partially deformed rear leg, saving myself $300. I named it "stephen", not for the late mr. Jobs, but for mr. Hawking... Great internals, messed up case.

ha!

GHouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
No matter if you think it's ass-backwards or not, it's my money that was spent on the system and don't want to bother with the hassle of dealing with the previous owner, shipping etc as explained. A local shop had a case in stock and was swapped out today. Took an hour. For the so called Royal pain in the ass it was well worth it and looks 10 times better than the old case.

Some people have more money than sense I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.