Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
It would be a great feature if Apple added functionality to somehow make an iPhone useless to a thief.

I would pay $$$ for an optional Apple service where I could show up in one of their stores, show ID and proof of purchase of my iPhone using that ID (they have ways of checking), and have them permanently brick my iPhone should it ever show up on any network again. (Turning red hot in the thief's hands while the battery melts would be even better, but various liability laws probably prevent that.)

The problem is: would anyone ever buy my used iPhone knowing I could brick it at any time? The price of used iPhones would plumet like crazy.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
So it looks like "Find my iPhone" doesn't really help...

I had my first iPad stolen on Amtrak. (I think it was somewhere in Texas.) I could not find the [deleted] thing, pulled out my iPhone, hit the button to make it beep, then heard it somewhere in one of the seats in front of me. Next I heard a crunch followed by silence. I never got the iPad back, however, I know, the thief got no use from it either.

I do like the idea of going to your cell company or the Apple Store to change owners.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Do they consider iPhone and ipad thefts major crimes lol?

In NYC, anything over $500 is Larceny, anything under $500 is petit larceny.

Since the iPhone costs $800+ without contract, it is considered larceny, a major crime - up to 1 year in jail.

So, I guess stealing a 16gb iPad 4 is petit larceny, but stealing a 32gb iPad 4 is larceny. I love stupid laws. *sigh*

Last edited:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Which might also mean more guns for the thieves to steal, no?

But less thieves or thievery in some locales (those where the statistical crime rate fell when gun ownership rose), by the fact of excluding those thieves not brave or skilled enough to not get shot by said gun while doing said stealing. Yes.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Not surprising. I'm very careful with using my iPhone in the city but its always a little risky. It would be a great feature if Apple added functionality to somehow make an iPhone useless to a thief.

I think NZ carriers are going to band together and build a system where if a smartphone is reported stolen it won't work on any of the three nz carriers. So unless the theif sells the phone overseas, it'd be useless to them :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Apple should know better :mad: In a bad economy, you need to make terrible, undesirable products, because people are going to be out to make money by crime. Don’t tempt them.

You might think all those people who stole iPhones would have stolen something ELSE if the iPhone wasn’t out there in the world. Not so: without the iPhone, those criminals would have stayed home and played with ball with their kids.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I hear you, but I worry about what this will do to the secondary market. A legitimate 2nd hand buyer is at the mercy of the original owner not filing it stolen. This would be enough to steer me away from buying 2nd hand. I wouldn't want to bank on some handwritten receipt or something. I suppose apple could facilitate these transactions with some kind of record keeping, but I doubt they would do this out of goodwill.

----------

unfortunately, all the thief has to do is turn the device off directly after the theft / remove sim and DFU restore whenever. You won't ever get a location.

I don't think this would hurt the legitimate market. If Apple just turned off or denied service to phones that have a stolen item report associated with them that would be enough. Except for a person who has actually been robbed, who is going to fill out a stolen item report and then file it with the police to "mess" with the person they just sold their iPhone to? To what end? You would have the paypal or cashed check that goes to their name showing you bought it. Even the handwritten receipt would help in a situation with your word against theirs. But upside for the scamer is they keep your money and get the phone back. Downside is they go to jail for years for fraud and falsifying a report with the police. And their scheme necessitates them involving the police so the downside seems pretty darn likely and very much right in their face. So basically I think no one is going to be doing this.

Also we could have as part of our sales process a situation where you email apple with your device number and confirm that you are selling. Buyers could insist on that as part of the sales process.

There is enough of these devices and this situation to make it worth it to build up the infrastructure to deal with these issues.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Reason #56789290787 why I'd never live in that overcrowded rats nest.

I know someone who was sprayed in the face with mace while sitting at a table in an outdoor restaurant in SF. The (female) perp grabbed her phone and jumped into a waiting car. So, unless you want to live in Liberal, KS, be aware that thieves and scumbags can be found just about anywhere.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Apple do have a pretty good opportunity to make crime harder for these kind of gadgets. I'd love to see them do more with it.

Hopefully more headlines like this will prompt them in to it.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Wait, so what we're saying here is that if you take a major area of theft, and you eliminating the most stolen item, that theft in the area goes down?! Shocking.

If you eliminate socks from the statistics, I misplace fewer things in my house than last year. Some one call the press.

lyrical1

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Well i guess that an iPhone or iPad is more precious to thieves than a diamond necklace. It's more beautiful than a diamond after all and can do anything a piece of diamond can't.

Last edited:

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I can just imagine a thief attempting to rob an S3 user thinking its an iPhone and go "what is this crap" and throw it down and run off.

jk.

In the near future Apple products will come with thumb and finger readers built right into the display. After Apple bought AuthenTec. I reckon it will come soon. I assume this will make most stolen iPhones useless if all the safe guards are used.

Last edited:

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Obviously iPhones cause crimes. Time to have an iPhone registry that we can publish in the NY newspapers showing a map of where all the iPhones are so the criminals can more easily find them. Also all iPhones that can handle 30 or more messages or Apps as well as semi-automatic applications should be banned. Remember, iPhones commit crimes!

Not.

msimpson

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Breds

So what will Mayor Bloomberg blame the crime on next year? Nike Air Jordan's?

Because we all know thieves would not be stealing things if it wasn't for Apple.

I wonder if Apple is to blame for the rise in people getting pushed in front of subway trains in NYC?

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Poor excuse for a rise in figures. Why would anyone steal a phone in anyway? they can be locked and have content deleted straight away by remote control. It's pointless stealing an i device, plus you can put on top the serial number which can be traced back when synced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.