Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fiete5401

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Germany
Hey, I just bought a Western Digital My Book Essential 4TB.
How can I find out on OS X what kind of HD is built in?
"About this Mac" is not really helpful for this purpose.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Because
A. Seems like a heck of a lot of work
B. Doesn't seems to be much of a point behind all of the work.
:p

And C: Voids the warranty to open it up to peek.

That said, WD is a better source:

The drive inside your external hard drive enclosure may vary depending on application. There are several things you should know about WD external hard drives:
Depending on model, the internal hard drive in an external enclosure could be either SATA or native USB.

We can only guarantee drive capacity. We cannot guarantee a particular internal hard drive model, data interface, rotational speed, or cache size in the external hard drive enclosure.

Dismantling any single-drive external enclosure to obtain this information will void the warranty of the hard drive.

Interface and cache of the hard drives inside the external enclosure does not affect the performance or the data transfer rate of the external hard drive unit.

Note: With the exception of eSATA and USB 3.0 external hard drives, USB 2.0 and Firewire 400/800 have yet to approach the transfer rates of the internal hard drives we use in our external enclosures.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
But... WD... manufacture hard drives... There's no point for them to use any other manufacturers' drives in their enclosures. Now if you were to ask that about LaCie or some other such manufacturer, that I can understand.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Since WD installs their own hard drives inside their externals and they only produce one 4TB hard drive which is a black series then I am going to go with, you have a 4TB WD Black HDD inside.

nikolajlr

macrumors member
May 11, 2011
Denmark
Hey, I just bought a Western Digital My Book Essential 4TB.
How can I find out on OS X what kind of HD is built in?
"About this Mac" is not really helpful for this purpose.

FWIW, I've got a WD My Passport for Mac USB 3.0 2 TB (WDBKKF0020BSL-EESN) and it shows up in Disk Utility as "2 TB WD WDC WD20NMVM-"+(something).

I can even see the models of my two 1 GB 3,5" WDs in the test RAID-0 in my USB 3.0 dual HD dock.

I think they showed up with model names after I installed the OS X SAT Smart Driver to enable SMART for my USB-drives:

https://github.com/kasbert/OS-X-SAT-SMART-Driver - just download the .dmg file

I'm using that both on Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion with no issues so far.

In my case, the WD20NMVM inside my WD My Passport for MAC USB 3.0 2 TB apparently is custom made and can't be used in other SATA-casings/docks:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1951/1/ (towards the bottom)
(Boo hiss!)

Other than that, I'm happy with it. Bus-powered and silent and Mac software from WD.

Best regards,
Nikolaj

Fiete5401

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Germany
I think they showed up with model names after I installed the OS X SAT Smart Driver to enable SMART for my USB-drives:

https://github.com/kasbert/OS-X-SAT-SMART-Driver - just download the .dmg file

I'm using that both on Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion with no issues so far.

Other than that, I'm happy with it. Bus-powered and silent and Mac software from WD.

Thanks Nikolaj, the SAT SMART Driver did the job!

I found out that Western Digital built in a Hitachi drive:
Hitachi Deskstar 5K4000 4000GB, SATA 6Gb/s (HDS5C4040ALE630)

This is a really awesome hd! It's quiet and fast.

nikolajlr

macrumors member
May 11, 2011
Denmark
I'm happy to hear that :)

For anyone wondering why there is a Hitachi drive in a Western Digital product it is because WD bought the Hitachi hard drive business some time ago. And additionally I think I've read somewhere WD is being forced to sell off the Hitachi part of their 3.5" business to Toshiba as to secure competition for 3.5" products.

Those Deskstars certainly get to see the world!

Cheers,
Nikolaj

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.