Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Knowing what you do now, if you could go back in time to college again would you have studied something else and taken a different route in life? Were your efforts worth what you've earned? If not, what do you think you'd be doing?

Last edited:

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Heh. On one hand, I was studying completely the wrong thing, and went astray for ~7 years for nothing. However, I wouldn't have met my SO if I went down the "right" path.

So... no. :)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I don't know. I'm quite happy the way things worked out for me, but I'm so hopelessly curious I'd probably go study something else just to mix things up!

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I would. I would have gone to Harvard instead and asked to be roommates with Bill Gates and Paul Allen.:p Like the old saying goes: "It's not what you know, it's who you know." I could have been the Marcus Crassus of the First Triumvirate. I could have been the Joe Besser of the 3 Stooges. I could have been the Ronald Wayne of :apple: Computers, Inc.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Knowing what you do now, if you could go back in time to college again would you have studied something else and taken a different route in life? Were your efforts worth what you've earned? If not, what do you think you'd be doing?

If I knew what I know now, I'd go back solely for the social aspect. I was a quiet, withdrawn, yet driven and egotistical in college. I am now much more outgoing, but much more laid back, while still being driven. I tend to get along with people a lot more now, and wish I could have experienced that in college (graduated 15 years ago).

As far as changing my field of study, no way (I changed it at the end of my freshman year). I love what I do and it's what I wanted to do since I was a kid.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Yep, would have gone into some sort of engineering/science/IT major instead of my B.A. in Communications/Journalism. Would have been much easier to find a suitable job after graduation.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If I could I would have liked to have gone for psychology and/or behavioral sciences rather than computers and networks.

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I did. BS in computer science, BA in graphic design, AA in boatbuilding. Currently studying environmental science with a focus on sustainable urban agriculture. Life is a learning experience. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I was a scholarshiped athlete which demanded a large time commitment so I picked an easy but pretty worthless major. I had a great experience and suppose I wouldn't do it differently but today a couple decades later it's tempting. After college I went into the service, then college again. I've retired from one career and now on a second path.

Any physicians Participating here? I wonder if they feel medical school was worth it.

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I'd go back to the year 1999 and buy a boatload of :apple:/google stock. And of course change some of the decisions i made...or didn't make as it turns out.

Probably warned some people i know/knew who ended up making mistakes as well...some of which proved fatal.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

Pretty much the question asked in Ken Grimwood's novel Replay, which hopefully will get made into a movie someday.

HectorBrower85

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Life's been good for me so far but if I knew how some things would change beforehand, I'd definitely be more rich! :)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I'm pretty much fine with what I did, but if I could preserve my current life, spouse and living situation I'd have studied pure math.

Through studying Physics, computer science and ElecEng I've come to appreciate just how beautiful mathematics can be, I think focusing on that would have set me up better in life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.