Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleButterfly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Hi all. Hope there is an easy solution to this. Bought a mac in march 2010 and copied over 3 months worth of new baby photos from my Nokia 6500 mobile phone. The exif data shows the photo creation and modified date as 17th march 2010 which is the date I copied over the photos. Problem is I know photos were taken before this. I don't have the Nokia phone anymore but photos I took on that phone and copied to an older windows computer are showing correct dates.

I only just noticed this as I was making albums of daughters 1st year but I can't figure when some of the photos are taken.

Is there a way around this? Thanks

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
photo dates are either stored in the EXIF data fields....or sometimes you can look at the date of the file. But the file date can changed by the OS if you are moving the files around....so it may no be accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format

Import all photos from cameras and phones into at least iPhoto...if not Aperture or Lightroom. They should be able to retrieve and display any EXIF data stored in the photo files.

AppleButterfly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
photo dates are either stored in the EXIF data fields....or sometimes you can look at the date of the file. But the file date can changed by the OS if you are moving the files around....so it may no be accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format

Import all photos from cameras and phones into at least iPhoto...if not Aperture or Lightroom. They should be able to retrieve and display any EXIF data stored in the photo files.

Thanks for your response. Yes now I always import into iPhoto's but when we first bought the mac, I was bluetoothing photos over. So I think this over rides the date creation of photo to the date when it's copied to the mac. I always used a windows computer so never expected this to happen . On a plus side at least I still have the photos. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.