Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Compared to the 4/4S? Since about a month after launch I've started seeing more 5's pop-up, it was rare to see one in my area but it's becoming more common now.

And before anyone posts that this thread contributes nothing, so the hell what lol.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
Compared to the 4/4S? Since about a month after launch I've started seeing more 5's pop-up, it was rare to see one in my area but it's becoming more common now.

And before anyone posts that this thread contributes nothing, so the hell what lol.

I live in New York City.
Here's what I see the most in order

iPhone 4/4S
Galaxy
iPhone 5.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I see more iPhone 4/4S by far than anything else.
Rarely saw an iPhone 5 up until about late November. I guess that's when supply finally caught up to demand and most stores now have them in stock.
I'm starting to see galaxy S3s on a consistent basis now too. First time that's happened with an Android device.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
I live in NYC too

I probably see as many GSIII as iPhone 4/4S

iPhone 5 third most popular

To be honest though it's hard to tell since most people use cases and without a ruler it's hard to tell the difference between the 4/4S and 5

A course you can try to spot a lightning port, new grill, or placement jack

I work at 59 and Park so maybe I see more iPhone 5 compared to others since the 5 Avenue store is right by me

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
I live in NYC too

To be honest though it's hard to tell since most people use cases and without a ruler it's hard to tell the difference between the 4/4S and 5

I work at 59 and Park so maybe I see more iPhone 5 compared to others since the 5 Avenue store is right by me

I live in LI and I dont go to much to Manhattan, but when I go all I see is iPhones everywhere.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I never saw one up until the day I decided to buy one. I asked a guy in work who has a black one and his girlfriend has a white one. I looked at them both and thought the black was slightly nicer in its own way and went ahead and bought one after seeing there was no obvious wear after a few weeks of ownership. Now I've seen quite a few out and about and a friend just got his with his bonus pay over Christmas. I'm very happy with it!

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Couple kids in school. Saw a white one yesterday.

99% is iPhone 4/4S.

Most people don't upgrade ever year.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Couple kids in school. Saw a white one yesterday.

99% is iPhone 4/4S.

Most people don't upgrade ever year.

I saw some in school too. They're probably early verizon iPhone 4 adopters or had an iPhone 4 since june/july/august/september/october/november 2010 if they have an iPhone 5. I just can't see the average teen figuring out the upgrade a line and swap them trick.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2012
New York
I live in NYC too

Haha, I live at 59th street as I'm here right now. You can easily tell if the front camera is on top. over the month I've seen more iPhone 5's and after christmas there was the whole bunch while walking.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I've seen less than 5, college student so that's probably why lots of my friends got the 4s a few months before the 5 so they are stuck with those for now

----------

I saw some in school too. They're probably early verizon iPhone 4 adopters or had an iPhone 4 since june/july/august/september/october/november 2010 if they have an iPhone 5. I just can't see the average teen figuring out the upgrade a line and swap them trick.

Thanks! guess im above average!

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
From a distance (and also due to cases) it's difficult to tell who has an iPhone 4/4S or a 5. But I would probably say that the 4/4S is way more common. Then I would also say GS3 is second most common. iPhone 5 comes third in terms of popularity. But maybe that'll change now that Christmas has passed and also stores have it in stock.

Axious

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Somewhere in the world
In my place, I'm shocked to see a lot of S3 and Note 2. Almost everybody is using them and most girls I saw is using a Note 2. The Iphone 5 is rarely seen and 4/4S is holding on but just barely

Willdr1991

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
I see a couple of iPhone 5 in public, i would say its a little harder to see. way more iphone 4/4s though. A LOT of Galaxy s3,s2, and Note 2. It seems the galaxy s3 is everywhere its become the most popular. Even at work most of my coworkers including me own Galaxy s3's and I hear more coworkers are planning on buying an s3 soon.

oTypically

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2012
I see a couple of iPhone 5 in public, i would say its a little harder to see. way more iphone 4/4s though. A LOT of Galaxy s3,s2, and Note 2. It seems the galaxy s3 is everywhere its become the most popular. Even at work most of my coworkers including me own Galaxy s3's and I hear more coworkers are planning on buying an s3 soon.

They're cheaper? Aren't they?

On topic.
I was going off to upgrade and I already had in mind, I was getting an iphone because I was paying for it. I got a 4s because they didnt have any 4. I'm glad I got the 4s for multiple reasons, but for 100 dollars more i could of got a 5 and I didn't. :/

I'd buy the iphone retail for 600 I think, but that's an obsured price.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
My friend got one the beginning of December. That has been the only one I've actually seen/used with my own eyes since it came out. I usually see 4/4s, and tons of Droid Razr's.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I got my i5 the first day it was available (via preorder).

Most of the iPhones i see are 4 or 4S. I see may be one or two (at most) a day.

I was in Korea last month and everyone was drooling over my iPhone 5 as it is not yet available there.

After having had i5 for over three months now, I can tell the difference very quickly. 4/4S look more square than i5.

I have only Zagg shield on both front and back, so it is basically "naked". Looks great. But I have to be a bit careful with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.