Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Apple products obviously cause crime.

Sort of the same logic used when counting "views" and "replies" in an Apple discussions forum thread to "prove" the prevalence of a supposed issue or bug. If a few dozen people have the same issue out of 20 million then, by this logic, the issue is widespread and purposely being ignored by Apple. Happens all the time in the discussions forums.

So yes, according to these types, Apple products cause crime.:eek:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
So THIS is Apple's new strategy to sell more products. ;)

No, they are making it thinner and thinner until the thieves can't see it anymore!

No way to protect oneself.

If you make it fingerprint recognizable or iris reading, they'll cut off your fingers or gauge out your eye.

Criminals will do anything if the $$$$ value /incentive is there.

So, APPLE sell the iPhone for $ 1 and make it up in volume.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
A Brick Function would be nice....

You could set it through Find My Iphone and the minute the iphone was turned back on, it would check to see if this was set. if it was, the only thing it would display on screen is:

THIS PHONE HAS BEEN LISTED AS STOLEN. IF THIS IS YOUR PHONE, PLEASE BRING IT TO AN APPLE STORE WITH PROOF OF OWNERSHIP TO BE RESET.

Only an Apple or Carrier machine could reset it.

----------

Apple is making the iPhone thinner so thieves can pickpocket your iPhone without you noticing anything, nice move apple! :mad:

Well, they could make it gynormous so EVERYONE would know exactly what you have. :)

----------

Sort of the same logic used when counting "views" and "replies" in an Apple discussions forum thread to "prove" the prevalence of a supposed issue or bug. If a few dozen people have the same issue out of 20 million then, by this logic, the issue is widespread and purposely being ignored by Apple. Happens all the time in the discussions forums.

So yes, according to these types, Apple products cause crime.:eek:

I think he was being sarcastic.

----------

I would pay $$$ for an optional Apple service where I could show up in one of their stores, show ID and proof of purchase of my iPhone using that ID (they have ways of checking), and have them permanently brick my iPhone should it ever show up on any network again. (Turning red hot in the thief's hands while the battery melts would be even better, but various liability laws probably prevent that.)

The problem is: would anyone ever buy my used iPhone knowing I could brick it at any time? The price of used iPhones would plumet like crazy.

Treat it like a used car where you go with the purchaser to the apple store to transfer the title.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Thefts of Apple devices have naturally grown as their popularity has increased

What is "natural" about theft? :confused:

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
When I worked in Saudi Arabia, I noticed how store vendors didn't mind placing small items right by the door. You won't see that here in the US, as it would be easy to walk in, grab, and run. Of course, if you were to do that in Saudi Arabia, you lose your hand. As a result, theft is not something one is generally concerned with. Perhaps if we instituted meaningful penalties for theft, we would also not need to worry about pulling out our iPads and iPhones in the public?

Oh, so you're holding up Saudi Arabia as a paradise of law and order compared to the USA?

Sheesh.

----------

Part of me blame apple for not putting a password lock on the power off function. really believed if the ***** was not able to turn my phone off, he would have been brought to justice

You might have really believed it, but if you think the perp couldn't have found a paper clip to accomplish the same function, you're fooling yourself.

----------

Which might also mean more guns for the thieves to steal, no? Followed by more lives to steal with said guns.

Flawless logic.

Flawless sense of humor :rolleyes:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
When some scumbag lays their hands on you, deal with it.

I'm a native NY'er, born and raised, lived their till I joined the Army at 29.

No way in hell I would hide my iPhone in my pocket, and if you looked at me sideways you knew I wasn't scared of you or your crew.

Be a man. That means being less like that ******* chump Bloomberg and be more like Bernie Goetz

image.jpg

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Criminals will do anything if the $$$$ value /incentive is there.

It's not just that. It's a small easily concealed item that can be sold quickly.

I can just imagine a thief attempting to rob an S3 user thinking its an iPhone and go "what is this crap" and throw it down and run off.

jk.

In the near future Apple products will come with thumb and finger readers built right into the display. After Apple bought AuthenTec. I reckon it will come soon. I assume this will make most stolen iPhones useless if all the safe guards are used.

The S3s probably sell well too. What you mention about security features is really the only way forward. Making something useless to the thief really diffuses the issue almost entirely. I doubt the market for spare phone parts is profitable enough drive theft. Out of warranty repair costs are something like $200. I don't see it.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Why do that when Apple can make a commercial of someone robbing someone with a Samsung Galaxy S3 and then giving the S3 back to them since it's not an Apple device.

You not only get Samsung on the copying of an Apple look (because the robber thought it was an iPhone) but also mock them by showing the thieves don't want that phone...lol.

The galaxy s3 looks nothing like the iphone at all.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
So along with 32oz sodas, he's now going to ban Apple products in the city. :) :p

If you saw what is considered a 'small' soda at an AMC theater in NYC, you could see why it's not a bad idea. And before you start with some personal freedom nonsense, freedom, like everything else has a cost.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
If you saw what is considered a 'small' soda at an AMC theater in NYC, you could see why it's not a bad idea. And before you start with some personal freedom nonsense, freedom, like everything else has a cost.

It's a chain reaction - as long as I'm paying for part of a smoker's health care, whether it be through socialized medicine or simple insurance, I want to have some say in the matter. Now, a fair society would allow the insurance company to charge the smoker, the obese, (gasp) the genetically predisposed, more money to insure them. But when society determines that that's unfair, and that everyone should pay the same no matter what their behavior or nature disposes them to, that's when you start to get government forcing behavior.

This is why markets are better.

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
This must be the most inane explanation of crime trends I have ever encountered.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I had an HTC EVO 4G snatched from me on the 1 train on New Year's Day @ 4am in the morning. A couple of rowdy Dominican and black guys (3 of them) boarded the train making lots of ruckus but I dismissed it as I was focused on the game I was playing on my phone. Two stops later --as the train was entering 72nd St. Station-- I got punched in the face and my phone snatched from my hands at the same time. It happened so quick. The perp darted; ran down the platform. I instinctively and stupidly went after him but was held back by the perps' 2 other friends.

The conductor re-opened the doors and let me back on the 1 train after witnessing what had just happened. She kind of just stared blankly at me. Anyway, I took the 1 train to 59th and Columbus Circle Station where there's a police station there and filed a report. The NYPD were VERY helpful. I even got to ride in a cop car and searched around for the perps for a half an hour. No luck though.

I got home at about 7am that morning, jumped on my comp. and traced the phone's location in Long Island, NY. Then I remotely bricked it which renderd it useless. Those asshats ultimately ended up with a bricked phone.

rijowysock

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
you would think apple could somehow track serials..... all owners have serial in their itunes.. if you filed a police report and included serial would be nice if they could somehow "check" the serial and find out how it got sold/etc....

many luxury watch companies offer this where if your watch is stolen, you register the serial with them and if the watch is ever sent in for service it gets returned to owner instead.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
you would think apple could somehow track serials..... all owners have serial in their itunes.. if you filed a police report and included serial would be nice if they could somehow "check" the serial and find out how it got sold/etc....

many luxury watch companies offer this where if your watch is stolen, you register the serial with them and if the watch is ever sent in for service it gets returned to owner instead.

Yeah I don't see that causing any sort of privacy news debacle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.