Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i84CTBound

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
CT
LTE Newington, CT recently added to AT&T LTE coverage 46 down 15 up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 57

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
AT&T, I saw 66.01 download and 14.73 upload today. This was near route 195 in Westport, MA.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Got this today outside the Apple store in the mall. So, INSIDE the Mall, which is a pretty 'choked' area for cellular data. The St.Louis market is dominated by AT&T because pretty much everywhere west of St.Louis, only AT&T (ironically) serves very well. Verizon, Sprint, etc. fall off the map. So on 3G, usually, I'm lucky even with a FULL signal to be able to use iMessage or get 0.5mbps download, it's always so choked. On LTE though, I managed to get this, which really impressed me considering how saturated this particular area typically is:

img0262.png

Unfortunately, with more and more devices on LTE, I'm afraid soon it will be choked out as well! But for now it's pretty speedy!

I live in a rural area, and we actually got 3G really quick because a lot of people use AT&T 3G as their home ISP (it's faster / better than satellite, the only other option for many folks). I'm HOPING the same is true for LTE, because I STILL get 3G speeds that knock most peoples socks off. On HSPA+ I'm getting a consistent 12+ mbps easy. So LTE would be blazing fast in this same market I think! (Of course for the same reason it's fast, is the same reason it's not likely... not a very saturated market!)

I've read that a 'candidate' standard that is purportedly in the pipeline is a new version of the LTE technology that is theoretically up to 1.2gbps. WOW! Obviously, we'll never see 1.2gbps just like we won't see the top end of LTE speeds, but if the potential throughput is 1.2gbps, even in a saturated market we should consistently see speeds that will absolutely dethrone most terrestrial broadband. Wireless broadband is finally faster than copper based broadband, and fiber optic broadband is in limited markets and expensive to deplot. (But, again, this new LTE standard is, potentially, even faster than that!).

Last edited:

Arcsylver

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Chicago, IL
Just did a speed test here at work.
Sprint LTE
Ping 60 ms
Down 9.12
Up 4.95

2 bars LTE signal

Max I have gotten was
59 ping
31.33 down
5.53 up standing on the Addison train platform next to wrigley field

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Got this today outside the Apple store in the mall. So, INSIDE the Mall, which is a pretty 'choked' area for cellular data. The St.Louis market is dominated by AT&T because pretty much everywhere west of St.Louis, only AT&T (ironically) serves very well. Verizon, Sprint, etc. fall off the map. So on 3G, usually, I'm lucky even with a FULL signal to be able to use iMessage or get 0.5mbps download, it's always so choked. On LTE though, I managed to get this, which really impressed me considering how saturated this particular area typically is:

Unfortunately, with more and more devices on LTE, I'm afraid soon it will be choked out as well! But for now it's pretty speedy!

I live in a rural area, and we actually got 3G really quick because a lot of people use AT&T 3G as their home ISP (it's faster / better than satellite, the only other option for many folks). I'm HOPING the same is true for LTE, because I STILL get 3G speeds that knock most peoples socks off. On HSPA+ I'm getting a consistent 12+ mbps easy. So LTE would be blazing fast in this same market I think! (Of course for the same reason it's fast, is the same reason it's not likely... not a very saturated market!)

I've read that a 'candidate' standard that is purportedly in the pipeline is a new version of the LTE technology that is theoretically up to 1.2gbps. WOW! Obviously, we'll never see 1.2gbps just like we won't see the top end of LTE speeds, but if the potential throughput is 1.2gbps, even in a saturated market we should consistently see speeds that will absolutely dethrone most terrestrial broadband. Wireless broadband is finally faster than copper based broadband, and fiber optic broadband is in limited markets and expensive to deplot. (But, again, this new LTE standard is, potentially, even faster than that!).

I don't think those speeds will be chocked anytime soon. I live by Fenway in Boston and even during game times, I can hit 40+ mbps down because AT&T is so strong around here and maintains DAS.

I'm going to be at the Lakers Celtics game on Thursday. TD Bank only has an At&t DAS in place. Curious to see how LTE holds up. Ill report back.

----------

Nice to see that its not just Boston where AT&T has stupid fast speeds

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
LTE just kicked on in Norfolk, VA for AT&T finally. I am getting close to 20 down and 15 up. Much better than it was on 4g obviously but not as fast as some people are getting. Hopefully it will speed up as they grow the LTE coverage. I would love to get in the 40s. Either way it is as fast as my home internet now but unfortunately my wife says we still only have 4g there.

clockworkorange

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
AT&T LTE Speeds in South San Jose (oakgrove area)

Down: 49.95 Mbps
Up: 18.02 Mbps

My Comcast (Blast! connection) speed for comparison:

Down: 35.64 Mbps
Up: 6.40 Mbps

Quite pleased with AT&T LTE, very fast :)

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
LTE just kicked on in Norfolk, VA for AT&T finally. I am getting close to 20 down and 15 up. Much better than it was on 4g obviously but not as fast as some people are getting. Hopefully it will speed up as they grow the LTE coverage. I would love to get in the 40s. Either way it is as fast as my home internet now but unfortunately my wife says we still only have 4g there.

They usually start adding more cell sites within the next couple weeks and fine-tune everything. If your market has enough spectrum, you should see speeds increasing in the near future. My speeds have went up over the last year or so here.

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
Does data speed drop when on phone calling from lte to 4g and data speeds seem slower when talking on the phone? Is that normal?

Last edited:

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I wonder how long it will be until the LTE carriers start branching out beyond major cities? Right now they are all deploying in all of the major cities, but not yet branching out into other regions. Looking forward to that.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
Verizon
Alabama
LTE Speed:
30-50mbps down
15-25 up
It varies. Can't go too much by this because different location servers test very different
I can this, it's blazing fast here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 54

Tribitaka

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Recent LTE speeds here in Australia on Telstra.

For those wondering about the massive speeds in Perth, the network is the same as here except they have double the amount of spectrum that we have here in Melbourne, and therefore much faster speeds.
Getting speeds between 35-90mbps is actually very common here in Australia.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 78

mpgolfpro

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
LTE on Verizon here in Houston absolutely sucks, compared to the speeds everyone else is posting on here. I rarely get over 10mbps down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.