Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2004
Hey guys,

I treated myself to a mac mini for Christmas. I really wanted one to hookup to my big tv to use to play all my 1080p mkv files.

I loaded up its internal 1tb hd and and I also filled up my 2.5 inch external fw800 drive.

I'm now looking of getting another external hd but a 3.5 inch one, but i'm not sure if I should go with fw800, usb 3.0, or TB. I will be using the drive just to store 1080p mkv files that are roughly 10gb.

Is the usb 3.0 fast enough to play these files or should I go for a TB drive? The one drive that is really $ efficient is: http://tinyurl.com/clodnpd

When I bought my current external drive last year I had to decide between usb2.0 and fw800. But this year this is also usb3.0 with the majority of the drives i'm looking at being either usb3.0 or tb.

Any comments or suggestions would be great.

Thanks and happy new year!

kjs862

Last edited:

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
I'd get USB 3.0 because it is a technology that is much more future proof than FireWire and currently cheaper than thunderbolt. For streaming 1080p, even a USB 2.0 will provide enough speed, so besides the file transfers, the speed improvement will not be apparent. In fact, a USB 3 drive will not be 10x faster than a USB 2.0 drive because the drive read/write speed is the limiting factor, not the transfer speed.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
usb 3.0 will be perfect for what you need, i have that same drive in 2tb and 3tb capacities, no problems whatsoever playing HD files from it, and i have it hooked up to my mini and played over wifi to apple tv's in other rooms

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.