Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
So, I just bought an ip5 as a christmas gift, and they could charge it using their imac, but not using the standard wall charger. faulty charging cube.

i'm finally going to give in and admit that APPLE's QC has gone done the crapper.

Saddens me to say it to because I've been loyal with APPLE from 2001 - now

Luckily their customer service is superb, so I'll stick around a little longer.

Or maybe it's because I've joined this forum that I notice the faults more easily. It just seems every 5th thread is a complaint lately.

What are you thoughts?

:(

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
So because the little power adaptor was bad the whole company has gone downhill? Wow. I have never had a problem with an Apple product. I have owned macbooks, imacs, ipads, ipods, iPhones, ATV's and so on, and never, ever had a problem.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
My thoughts are Apple has more money than God at this point, so quality customer service is no longer imperative for them. At least in my experience. Maybe you're having better luck. It's quite disturbing to me that anyone that works for Apple should be seemingly shocked that an iPhone 5 was sent out with nicks and scratches. They can't fathom it. Meanwhile every tech institute has run countless stories on it by now. It's a joke.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
So because the little power adaptor was bad the whole company has gone downhill? Wow. I have never had a problem with an Apple product. I have owned macbooks, imacs, ipads, ipods, iPhones, ATV's and so on, and never, ever had a problem.

I got myself an ip5 in November. I had to swap it due to a bad battery. The phone they wanted to give me (white box model), had a blob of "anodized" melted steel all over the APPLE logo on the back of the phone.

So I guess after this....3 strikes kinda.....

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012

Did you receive an iPhone 5 with either cosmetic or mechanical damage out of the box, sir?

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
My thoughts are Apple has more money than God at this point, so quality customer service is no longer imperative for them. At least in my experience. Maybe you're having better luck. It's quite disturbing to me that anyone that works for Apple should be seemingly shocked that an iPhone 5 was sent out with nicks and scratches. They can't fathom it. Meanwhile every tech institute has run countless stories on it by now. It's a joke.

I love APPLE don't get me wrong, but I agree with you 100% here.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I got myself one back in November. I had to swap it due to a bad battery. The phone they wanted to give me (white box model), had a blob of "anodized" melted steel all over the APPLE logo on the back of the phone.

So I guess after this....3 strikes kinda.....

And let me guess, the Genius looked at you like you were nuts when you said you didn't want a phone with melted metal all over the back of it?

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
And let me guess, the Genius looked at you like you were nuts when you said you didn't want a phone with melted metal all over the back of it?

lol...kinda! they kept tilting it from side to side saying.."yeah we see it...it's anodized something or other"...i felt like i was being really picky asking for another one...but I expect it to be pristine out of the box. it honestly looked like melted anodized snot all over the apple logo! lol

i have bought MANY apple products since 2001 with no problems. but this last year i have had a few issues. it wont stop me from buying their products. i've got plenty of love for APPLE.

just started this thread to get some feedback.;)

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
lol...kinda! they kept tilting it from side to side saying.."yeah we see it...it's anodized something or other"...i felt like i was being really picky asking for another one...but I expect it to be pristine out of the box. it honestly looked like melted anodized snot all over the apple logo! lol

i have bought MANY apple products since 2001 with no problems. but this last year i have had a few issues. it wont stop me from buying their products. i've got plenty of love for APPLE.

just started this thread to get some feedback.;)

I love Apple too, but this iPhone 5 experience has been insane to say the least. I'm just over it. Get me a phone without any excessive rattling in the earpiece and/or glaring cosmetic issues and I'd be happy. Maybe I'm asking for too much?

----------

The majority of people did not. You are in the minority.

It doesn't matter to me what the numbers are, as numbers don't fix my problem. But I'm sure you're right. Apple acts shocked when you bring things up they'd rather avoid talking about or addressing. Or so it's been my experience.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
I love Apple too, but this iPhone 5 experience has been insane to say the least. I'm just over it. Get me a phone without any excessive rattling in the earpiece and/or glaring cosmetic issues and I'd be happy. Maybe I'm asking for too much?

I agree, getting a perfect phone with the ip5 seems near impossible. There's scuffs, dents, rattles, blue glue,...the list goes on. I think they rushed the ip5 release. I cant even buy a proper Alarm clock/Dock for my new phone.

My current ip5 has slight rattle. my 3gs never had it, my 4s never had it either. However at this point I'll keep what I got cause I am not exchanging my phone for a third time. I do however have APPLECARE+ and I will be taking advantage of that in about a year. ;)

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
My current ip5 has slight rattle. my 3gs never had it, my 4s never had it either. However at this point I'll keep what I got cause I am not exchanging my phone for a third time. I do however have APPLECARE+ and I will be taking advantage of that in about a year. ;)

I have Asurion through VZW. I wanted to cancel it this week and get AppleCare set up, but at this point I'm not giving Apple anymore of my money until they fix my current issues. I can't bring myself to do it.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011

----------

It doesn't matter to me what the numbers are, as numbers don't fix my problem. But I'm sure you're right. Apple acts shocked when you bring things up they'd rather avoid talking about or addressing. Or so it's been my experience.

Really? They have the best exchange policy out there. Does any other manufactuer give you a full replacement multiple times for a year for a cosmetic flaw? They go above and beyond to keep their customers happy.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
Really? They have the best exchange policy out there. Does any other manufactuer give you a full replacement multiple times for a year for a cosmetic flaw? They go above and beyond to keep their customers happy.

That's what this entire thread is about. APPLE QC is crap. Luckily their customer service is stellar.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I agree, getting a perfect phone with the ip5 seems near impossible. There's scuffs, dents, rattles, blue glue,...the list goes on. I think they rushed the ip5 release. I cant even buy a proper Alarm clock/Dock for my new phone.

You have the right idea. Apple accidentally sent my two iPhone 5's with my second to last replacement via FedEx. They only put a hold on my credit card for one device. I manned up and did the right thing and called them and told them they sent me too many phones. They admitted they had no record of me being sent a second device, and that they appreciated my honesty. I should have kept that second phone as a backup. I regret sending it back and doing the right thing, when Apple clearly won't return the favor.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
That's what this entire thread is about. APPLE QC is crap. Luckily their customer service is stellar.

Go to any phone forum. Go to android forum and read all the complaints about the quality. Apple QC is by far better than all the rest combined. I most be one of the privilege few that has purchased mutiple perfect Apple products. I think not. I would bet over 90% have bought perfect apple products over the years.,

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012

You sure? That hasn't been my experience. They just told me that discoloration on the antenna seams and scratches on the back of the anodized part of the device aren't enough to replace the phone for me.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
Go to any phone forum. Go to android forum and read all the complaints about the quality. Apple QC is by far better than all the rest combined.

It may be better than the rest, but I am not comparing different companies. I am comparing APPLE in 2001 to APPLE now in 2012.

I have spoke with retail staff in various stores and even they admit on launch day to opening numerous boxes until the customer found a phone without a flaw. From a huge company offering high end devices it is just absurd.
I never in my life had to go through 3 or more tv's until i found one i deemed acceptable.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Go to any phone forum. Go to android forum and read all the complaints about the quality. Apple QC is by far better than all the rest combined. I most be one of the privilege few that has purchased mutiple perfect Apple products. I think not. I would bet over 90% have bought perfect apple products over the years.,

darster, we know. The thing is NONE of that helps us out right now. That's my only point. We're here because we like Apple. But that doesn't mean they're always in the right, either.

----------

It may be better than the rest, but I am not comparing different companies. I am comparing APPLE in 2001 to APPLE now in 2012.

I have spoke with retail staff in various stores and even they admit on launch day to opening numerous boxes until the customer found a phone without a flaw. From a huge company offering high end devices it is just absurd.
I never in my life had to go through 3 or more tv's until i found one i deemed acceptable.

This is my point exactly. But you do realize that Apple thinks you're a jerk because you made them open up three boxes until you found one that wasn't glaringly flawed, right?

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
darster, we know. The thing is NONE of that helps us out right now. That's my only point. We're here because we like Apple. But that doesn't mean they're always in the right, either.

I agree. Apple can improve. Every company can do better. But I don't think their QC has gone down. Apple now has over 50% of the smartphone market in the US. Which means there are more iPhones being used than ever before. Which means number wise, not percentage wise, there will be more people saying they have a defective product.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

You do know that the same Chinese people in the same Chinese factory make both the Apple and Android phones, right? You are kidding yourself if you think Apple has better QC.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Every companies QC could and should be better.However as volume becomes excessive things just go wrong. QC problems are imminent even in cars which cost much more than an iPhone.
In any case, Apple has learned a good lesson from this iPhone 5.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I agree. Apple can improve. Every company can do better. But I don't think their QC has gone down. Apple now has over 50% of the smartphone market in the US. Which means there are more iPhones being used than ever before. Which means number wise, not percentage wise, there will be more people saying they have a defective product.

I agree there. Or what about this? Apple bit off more than they could chew with the iPhone 5? A lighter phone made of anodized aluminum that scratches super easily (or in many cases during the manufacturing process) and getting too fancy and switching from glass to sapphire for the camera lens which is now being blamed as the cause for the "purple flare" effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.