Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
For sure, I was raised to be honest. But you can see how now, when I need some assistance, Apple is telling me to go F myself. It's kinda ironic. That was basically my point. And would I technically have been a "thief" when they sent me the device accidentally? It's a tough call. Some people might call that flat out lucky.

Check out this story...http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...rise-company-sends-extra-ipads_n_2253576.html

APPLE has so much money they should have let you keep the phone. It was their screw up.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Wow you really are intellectually disabled. That is whole market share in the US of smartphones NOT of a 12 week period. You are only digging yourself into a hole.

When it says in the latest 12 weeks it means thats when it hit that figure! Not thats the period of measurement. It means sometime in the last 12 weeks it reached that percentage!

OMG, are you blind? Do you not see the "smartphone sales data" and "* 12 w/e 25th November 2012" in the Kantar report? Why do you think they even put the disclaimer for "* 12 w/e 25th November 2012" if you think this is for all time? And, no need to call sissy names, bud.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
For sure, I was raised to be honest. But you can see how now, when I need some assistance, Apple is telling me to go F myself. It's kinda ironic. That was basically my point. And would I technically have been a "thief" when they sent me the device accidentally? It's a tough call. Some people might call that flat out lucky.
For me yes... if you have an item you did not pay for, even if it was NOT your fault I believe it should be returned. I know the majority would say "It's not my fault they sent me a phone" or "Apple is a billion dollar company what's the big deal". I say sure it's not your fault and sure they are a billion dollar company but right is right and wrong is wrong. Keeping something given to you in error is stealing in my opinion. Many will differ in that opinion but again, that's what makes people that do the right thing "better".

I've been fortunate with apple returns and really have only had minor issues.
Vastoholic... do you ride? (avatar). Been calming it down as of late but but used to hit the track a lot down here in the springs. http://www.cosportbikeclub.org

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

And I honestly don't know why you're getting that treatment. I've only had a few issues in the past year or so since around midway through 2011, but I've had no problems with customer service. That's really crappy for you because I think those discolorations should be grounds for return (it is only cosmetic, but it's actually brown, that's not right). But for the OP to claim that all of Apple QC has gone down the toilet over what we've seen with the iPhone 5 is an untrue blanket statement.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Check out this story...http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...rise-company-sends-extra-ipads_n_2253576.html

APPLE has so much money they should have let you keep the phone. It was their screw up.

I had dropped it in the FedEx box beforehand and then I called them to tell them it was on it's way back to them. The guy sounded genuinely impressed that I was so honest, and that made me feel good. So I have no regrets about sending it back. I just wish Apple would come through for me now. I feel like a sucker even though I shouldn't. It wasn't mine to begin with.

S

syd430

Again, when you post something like this:

Apple does not have "over 50% of the smartphone market in the US". You may want to look at the whole picture instead of disinformation.

and then this:

these aren't actual sales numbers but statistically measured values with a margin of error

It just tells me that you have no idea what you are talking about. You can't just make claims to the contrary just because you don't believe the actual number doesn't fall within a specified confidence interval.

You might wan't to read up of how hypothesis testing works in general:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_test

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Again, when you post something like this:

and then this:

It just tells me that you have no idea what you are talking about. You can't just make claims to the contrary just because you don't believe the actual number doesn't fall within a specified confidence interval.

You might wan't to read up of how hypothesis testing works in general:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_test

How about we use a statistic that is more concrete? Like http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AAPL. Apple stock is down over 25% since the iPhone 5 launch. Great trainwreck.

S

syd430

What were the issues your phones had?

Screen issues on the first 2, home button not working properly on the 3rd, and the last one had a front plate that was popped out slightly in the top right hand corner that would constantly click.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
I had dropped it in the FedEx box beforehand and then I called them to tell them it was on it's way back to them. The guy sounded genuinely impressed that I was so honest, and that made me feel good. So I have no regrets about sending it back. I just wish Apple would come through for me now. I feel like a sucker even though I shouldn't. It wasn't mine to begin with.

You did the right thing, and that's what matters.

i hope, eventually you get your phone issues resolved. I'd try setting up another Genius appointment. Best of luck.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
And that has what to do with sales statistics? Stock prices do not equate to sales figures for a single device.

You don't think a 25% drop in stock price after the launch of the iPhone 5 reflects something is shrinking at Apple? Like say marketshare. A 25% drop is huge for any company.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
How about we use a statistic that is more concrete? Like http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AAPL. Apple stock is down over 25% since the iPhone 5 launch. Great trainwreck.

HAHA you used the stock price to measure the companies performance. LOL! Firstly what matters is market capitalisation and furthermore going by your naive theory amazon is selling its products like hotcakes. Amazon is trading at ~3000 times what it should and Apple nearly ~1/2 of what it should. When Apple sold 37 million iPhones in one quarter no one had any idea they would sell that many a week before the numbers were announced and the same thing will happen here. You are resorting to any figure in your head despite how irrelevent it is to try and say that Apple is not dominating the US market when me and many others have sent you links and concrete data in relation to iphone sales and you are going on about stock prices xD

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You don't think a 25% drop in stock price after the launch of the iPhone 5 reflects something is shrinking at Apple? Like say marketshare. A 25% drop is huge for any company.

No, stock prices can change because people freak out over stupid stuff. People make a living by manipulating the stock prices for competing companies.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012

It is sentiment which is short term only. Long term profits and sales win out, not even market share. Going off that 50% market share solid conclusions can be drawn that sales are going well. Nothing is shrinking apple has grown year over year by massive amounts and wont stop for a long time.

----------

No, stock prices can change because people freak out over stupid stuff. People make a living by manipulating the stock prices for competing companies.

This.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Majority is iOS side but OSX at least for us is a problem.

I owned several iPhones & iPods and they all had to visit the Genius Bar.

Like I said I'm Mac user for life but it's now getting to the point that I feel like I have to spend money on Apple Care. It's ********** up.

3 of 4 iMac's HDD crashed. I'm getting the new 27" in January, it's my second iMac and will be buying Apple Care. I sold my old 24" Mid-2007, HDD crashed.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012

Like I said I'm Mac user for life but it's now getting to the point that I feel like I have to spend money on Apple Care. It's ********** up.

3 of 4 iMac's HDD crashed. I'm getting the new 27" in January, it's my second iMac and will be buying Apple Care. I sold my old 24" Mid-2007, HDD crashed.

Keep feeding them money. Good idea.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009

I feel your pain. My one-year-old iMac is already having fan issues...it's ridiculous that we have to spend another $200 on warranty when we've already paid a premium on apple's computers.

S

syd430

No. A stock reflects expectations of future cash flows, among a plethora of other factors.

You do realise that Apple's P/E is still far less than many comparable companies within the industry?

Virtually all of Apple's key revenue drivers are growing. This growth has been priced in for years now.

What do you think happens to a stock when investors no longer believe that a certain rate of growth (which has already been priced in) will be attained?

Even after adjusting for exogenous market factors, a stock with a +ve outlook on earnings growth can very well drop if the rate of growth is not in-line with what has been priced in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.