Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Last year it was reported that in some New York City precincts more than half of the robberies in some months involved iPhones.

Reported robberies. Some folks just don't bother reporting either because they don't believe the police will do crap, don't have insurance on said item for which they need a report to file a claim, or the replacement cost is so cheap they can't be bothered with the fuss

Who knows how many could be in that group that weren't about a cell phone or at least not an Apple one

----------

Part of me blame apple for not putting a password lock on the power off function. really believed if the ***** was not able to turn my phone off, he would have been brought to justice

Then he would just put it in airplane mode, delete your iCloud or at least turn off find my iPhone etc.

Even if there was such a power off lock, Apple would need a way to get around it if someone forgot it and that would leak out and make it useless. If a simple restore wasn't enough. Or it would take perhaps two minutes to open the phone and unscrew the battery connector making your password moot

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Reported robberies. Some folks just don't bother reporting either because they don't believe the police will do crap, don't have insurance on said item for which they need a report to file a claim, or the replacement cost is so cheap they can't be bothered with the fuss

Who knows how many could be in that group that weren't about a cell phone or at least not an Apple one

If you assume that the percentage of people who don't report is about the same, then the statistics remain valid.

Can you support an argument that the percentage of people reporting a theft has changed?

I think that such an argument would be difficult, since the price of Itoys has been rather constant.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think this would hurt the legitimate market. If Apple just turned off or denied service to phones that have a stolen item report associated with them that would be enough. Except for a person who has actually been robbed, who is going to fill out a stolen item report and then file it with the police to "mess" with the person they just sold their iPhone to? P

You'd be surprised the aholes that will do that kind of thing. Perhaps not to someone that bought it but to ex boyfriends/girlfriends. People can be sick

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Can't imagine taking the subway at around midnight, and playing with an iPad. Not a good scenario. :eek:

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
You could set it through Find My Iphone and the minute the iphone was turned back on, it would check to see if this was set. if it was, the only thing it would display on screen is:

THIS PHONE HAS BEEN LISTED AS STOLEN. IF THIS IS YOUR PHONE, PLEASE BRING IT TO AN APPLE STORE WITH PROOF OF OWNERSHIP TO BE RESET.

Only an Apple or Carrier machine could reset it.

Oh that will be fun. I bought my boyfriend an iPhone 5 for Christmas. Receipt is my name, apple care is under my name, Verizon account is under my name. He never bothered getting an apple id so iCloud is under one of mine and all his iTunes music and apps are under my Id.

So when I catch him with his pants around is ankles with another girl I can report his phone as stolen, lock it remotely, change the Verizon account password and my apple id password and screw him over.

----------

You might have really believed it, but if you think the perp couldn't have found a paper clip to accomplish the same function, you're fooling yourself.

$20 and five minutes on iFixIt.com will get you the screwdrivers you need to open that puppy up and disconnect the battery.

----------

Why on earth would you want to steal an iPhone 5!

If its an AT&T there's big money selling them to the Asian resellers to send to China etc. the ones that don't have a connection at AT&T to white list the iPhone to be unlocked 'legally' will jailbreak and unlock. If they find one under warranty that is a little dinged up about three seconds in a microwave will short the power connectors and they will go in claiming they bought it from a friend and it doesn't turn on and then unlock that one

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Playing with statistics to make a lame excuse!

The increase in Apple products is due to growth in smartphone numbers and probably offset by decreased number of regular phone thefts.

If Apple hadn't increased, those others wouldn't have gone down as much and the crime number would still be bigger.

This is just some politician trying to give a reasonable sounding explanation why something else caused a problem and he shouldn't be blamed.

Are you actually saying that people have stopped murdering other people in favor of steeling iPhones? And that's just a political spin?

Slayings drop by nearly 20 percent from this time last year. Shootings fall to their lowest point in 18 years

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/murders-fall-record-city-article-1.1229273#ixzz2GPb73c1D

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
There were also fewer murders this year in NYC than ever before (a figure that has been dropping every year). I'd take a few more stolen iPhones but fewer murders any day.

You just have to be smart. I use my phone all around the city, on mass transit, on the street, etc. Be alert, pay attention to your surroundings. When you're using your phone, keep a good grip on it and always pay attention to what the people around you are doing.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
i live in NYC but i've never had my iPhone stolen or had a gun held against my head but when i was in HS many people would lose or have their iPhones or iPods stolen

Tip so you don't lose your phone

Is always have your iPhone in your pocket!

Many people were so stupid and left their phones in the locker rooms. Soon they realizes someone broke into their locker and goodbye iPhone (back when i was in HS)

When you're in the subway if you're leaning against the door (which you shouldn't) then you shouldn't have you iPhone in your hand since someone from behind can snatch your iPhone from your hand right when the train doors are closing. (seen this happen quite some times)

If its like 2am and you're taking the subway prepare for the worst and dont even listen to music because if they see you have especially the apple headphones on they'll know you have a apple product and increase your chance of getting beat up for the iPhone. It's not safe traveling in the subway at night. you should take a cab at night if it's possible.

Welcome to New york City life
I never use my headphones after 10 pm wether in NYC or my little town, for my own safety. Like you, phone always in pocket.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Or if people could just buy MULTIPLE iPads and iPhones, it's a win-win. Apple sells more, and if your iPad or iPhone gets stolen, you have another one at home.

This would be the best solution. Most folks in NY should be able to afford buying 2 or 3 as backup. The smugness alone would help justify it.

If that fails however, I was thinking that a feature which would make it impossible for anyone to erase and re-use the phone. I imagine thefts would go down if the iPhone became a brick.

Parts alone would be worth it for some. Besides, theft deterrents are just that, deterrents, nothing is outside of someone's desire to steal.

Really? Ever try to call someone at Google when you lose access to your Gmail account?

He did say feedback, which I would have to agree with. Google is far better than Apple at collecting data. Now, what you are talking about is customer support, which I would totally agree with. None of the services that Google offers are too difficult for the average person to use though.

And Google, like Facebook, will give you a number to call if you spend enough money.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
There is a simple solution to this problem. We need more guns in our inner cities to prevent crime. We need an assault rifle store on every block in Manhattan. That will teach these theives a lesson.

Regardless of the fact that I agree with the point you're making...you are on the wrong website, in the wrong forum, and the wrong post to suddenly bring stuff up like this.

This is "Macrumors"...not "political soapbox rumors".

(Seriously, where are the admins these days?!)

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
...same thing for wearing tacky white plastic earbuds at any hour.

Really? I can picture you with an Ed Hardy shirt, black cargo pants with white socks and black shoes, and white earbuds to match your socks. No? ;)

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
Oh, so you're holding up Saudi Arabia as a paradise of law and order compared to the USA?

Sheesh.

I think they were juxtaposing the situation in Saudi Arabia to the one in the States. The Saudis have rules so drastic that the mere thought of stealing is deemed outlandish whereas the US laws are relatively lax to the point where one can make a decent living as a career criminal flipping stolen goods and the potential risk of punishment is worth the reward.

Regardless of the fact that I agree with the point you're making...you are on the wrong website, in the wrong forum, and the wrong post to suddenly bring stuff up like this.

This is "Macrumors"...not "political soapbox rumors".

(Seriously, where are the admins these days?!)

The admins haven't touched it because someone forgot to activate their sarcasm detector :cool:.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
If I ran the police department, I'd be carrying out lots of sting operations with tracked iPhones. Then, those who are caught would be forced to pay for all police operation costs amounted from the arrest plus another iPhone, cell service for a year for it, and temporary revocation of full voting citizenship. This is unacceptable.

Last edited:

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
When I worked in Saudi Arabia, I noticed how store vendors didn't mind placing small items right by the door. You won't see that here in the US, as it would be easy to walk in, grab, and run. Of course, if you were to do that in Saudi Arabia, you lose your hand. As a result, theft is not something one is generally concerned with. Perhaps if we instituted meaningful penalties for theft, we would also not need to worry about pulling out our iPads and iPhones in the public?

Yeah, the penalty in Saudi Arabia is better. If you want your hand, it's pretty easy to just not steal people's stuff. Here in America, you steal something, and the government gives you free food, healthcare, and housing as punishment, plus you can sue for various reasons such as police brutality or racial discrimination.

----------

Really? Ever try to call someone at Google when you lose access to your Gmail account?

Yes, and they do respond. My Gmail account that I just created locked up, claiming that there was suspicious activity even though it was brand new. I needed the name I used for it. I contacted Google, and they fixed the account. However, afterwards, it wanted me to give it a phone number for some reason, and it wouldn't send the activation code to the number I gave, so I just gave up right there. Why the @#$% does it always ask for a phone number??????! Just let me into my account!

Renzatic

Suspended
Yeah, the penalty in Saudi Arabia is better. If you want your hand, it's pretty easy to just not steal people's stuff. Here in America, you steal something, and the government gives you free food, healthcare, and housing as punishment, plus you can sue for various reasons such as police brutality or racial discrimination.

Yeah, I've always thought the west was far too lenient on dealing out life altering maimings to our criminals.

That's our problem. We put too much value on life.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Why do that when Apple can make a commercial of someone robbing someone with a Samsung Galaxy S3 and then giving the S3 back to them since it's not an Apple device. You not only get Samsung on the copying of an Apple look (because the robber thought it was an iPhone) but also mock them by showing the thieves don't want that phone...lol.

Brilliant!

These devices have unique identifying numbers. I still don't see why Apple, the Cell Companies, and the police can't coordinate to catch crooks stealing these devices. At least if the crooks don't ultimately fence them overseas. And seriously the guy doing a snatch and run job on your iPhone as you walk down the street texting, that guy doesn't have access to an overseas fence. Why can't Apple shut the device's access off from the Apple store? Yes, then folks can jailbreak. But that is another inconvenience and lowers the value of the stolen phone.

Not surprising. I'm very careful with using my iPhone in the city but its always a little risky. It would be a great feature if Apple added functionality to somehow make an iPhone useless to a thief.

I'm sure, if the political will existed, there's no technical reason why these devices couldn't be made useless to would-be thieves. Cell-enabled devices have an IMEI number that, given cooperation amongst ALL providers, could be blacklisted, rendering all of them useless to potential thieves. In addition, al these devices, plus all wifi devices as well as iPods need to be recharged to work; this could be restricted to those who have the 'unique code' to do this. It would, for the sake of legitimate re-sales, require a central registry, but with thieves knowing these devices to be virtually 'useless' when stolen, it might all but eliminate those kinds of 'snatch & dash' thefts. Arguably, a minor inconvenience to legitimate users, that in the end would be well worth it.

I hate government red-tape as much as the next guy, but APPLE or SAMSUNG et all, aren't going to do this on their own, this almost certainly would require congressional intervention.

When I worked in Saudi Arabia, I noticed how store vendors didn't mind placing small items right by the door. You won't see that here in the US, as it would be easy to walk in, grab, and run. Of course, if you were to do that in Saudi Arabia, you lose your hand. As a result, theft is not something one is generally concerned with. Perhaps if we instituted meaningful penalties for theft, we would also not need to worry about pulling out our iPads and iPhones in the public?

While that might actually work, such draconian measures will never come to these shores.

.....They don't know they're stolen.

Simple solution: always get a proper and legible receipt, including date, description of item, including serial#, and seller's full name & address, when buying anything used. The absence of that is a giant red flag.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012

also kids will steal and break laws because they know they can get away with it only too easy. Everyone is a human and a kid who knows how to feed himself knows how to make decisions. Laws are too soft and only target stupid stuff.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Just insert an efuse in the CPU and blow it when stolen. On rooted Samsung phones you can just have some remote app that fills the nand with 00's since the boot loader gets wiped you'll get an expensive to fix brick.

Anyway I still don't know why the hell there isn't a world wide stollen imei database.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Statistically...

Let's assume that from 2007 to 2012, all crime has grown at an identical rate, including theft of expensive phones. But since the iPhone was just introduced in 2007 and the number of iPhone thefts were zero before it was introduced, the rate of iPhone thefts has grown at a much larger rate.

So he is basically saying that if for some magic reason all thieves had decided to never ever steal an iPhone, and not commit other crimes instead either, then the crime rate would have dropped. Well, that is statistically obvious and pointless at the same time.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Would be interesting if the NY Apple Stores also suffer from stolen products on an above average basis...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.