Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I think it's two reasons:

1) Samsung phones run a light interface in touchwiz. The phone is super speedy and word of mouth gets around that actually samsung phones are the biz. HTC on the otherhand runs sense which can stutter

2) Marketing. Consistency in name and bombardment of adverts which suggest samsung phones are the best and buying anything else is doing yourself an injustice (which is probably true to be fair).

You have to give credit to samsung. They've slayed an android giant in HTC and every phone they bring out gets better and better. I hope they learn from Apples mistakes and don't rest on their laurels, bringing out medicore products.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Head over to XDA forum for One X. The software rollout for Sense 4+ & Jellybean was a joke. They announced rolling out in October and didn't push it out till mid to late December leaving users frustrated and peeved off, and then at same time as dragging their heels they announced One X+, Droid DNA & the Butterfly, only some 8-9 months after launch of One X and saying they were going to concentrate less on quanity of handsets nd more on user experience.. They lied.

Then lets talk about S-Off being impossible, and such, HTC lost heaps of respect from the Android tinkerers this year, and many jumped over to the Samsung camp.

Personally I stuck with HTC but traded my One X for a HTC 8 X (before realising that App selection on Windows Phones is embarrassingly spartan)...

Sometime great Handsets & technology just aren't enough....

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I didn't go HTC this time around because aside from feeling like I'd get burned on future software updates, T-Mobile only carries the One S, and it's a gimped One X with a smaller screen. It's still a very nice phone, but you can't remove the battery and i don't think it has a microSD slot either. :\

At free on a contract, it wasn't THAT bad, but the premise of not being able to get future software updates (beyond JB) bugged me.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Head over to XDA forum for One X. The software rollout for Sense 4+ & Jellybean was a joke. They announced rolling out in October and didn't push it out till mid to late December leaving users frustrated and peeved off, and then at same time as dragging their heels they announced One X+, Droid DNA & the Butterfly, only some 8-9 months after launch of One X and saying they were going to concentrate less on quanity of handsets nd more on user experience.. They lied.

Personally I stuck with HTC but traded my One X for a HTC 8 X (before realising that App selection on Windows Phones is embarrassingly spartan)...

Too many phones, too slow or non existent upgrades and much too little phone storage.

Switched my One X over to CyanogenMod as the UK updates were finally starting. Took me much longer to do that with my HTC Desire but imo the One X may never see 4.2 or 5 so there seemed no point waiting.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
For me HTC has much to confusing line-up of phones.

For example their "One" flagship has so many phones...

- HTC One SV
- HTC One X
- HTC One X+
- HTC One XL
- HTC One S
- HTC One V

I couldn't even begin to tell you what each one did, the type of phone or which one was best.

They're trying to please everyone all of the time. When it's just impossible. They need to focus all of their efforts one device, market that device..

Instead of creating one phone for every letter of the alphabet plus one.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
My thing with HTC is they always make great phones that's missing the one or two key specs that I really want. This has been going on since the Windows Mobile days and has always annoyed me.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Short version:
Because HTC never updates their damn phones. Phone X is launched, and if a new version of Android comes out either a month before, or a month after.. it MIIIIIIGHT get it. Might. Anything more? forget about it. Yes, they are built nicely, but they never support their damn hardware.

Long version:
* Phone X comes out in November.
* Google releases a new version of Android in January.
* HTC announces new phones in between November and January, including a new flagship. Phone X is discontinued.
* Meanwhile, rumors surface and beta firmware floats around for Phone X on the latest version of Android
* HTC releases a list of phones to receive the latest version of Android. Of course, Phone X is not on the list.
* After much persistence, both HTC and the mobile carriers insist that Phone X is being worked on, but they have no information for you right now.
* Phone Z comes out, with lower specs than Phone X, but runs the latest version of Android.
* Over a year later, HTC finally announces that they worked long and hard on Phone X, but it just doesn't have enough (ram/storage/memory/aluminum trim), therefore "it's not feasible to have an acceptable experience for the Phone X on the latest version of Android"

I agree...

1. I think all their phones are a little boxey outside of the one x and one s, the evo lte was just horrible and didn't sell that well, combined with bugs and lte issues it wasn't a good buy.

2. I think sense is just stale at this point but unlike the ios and all the apps it just wasn't inticing to many people anymore. Samsung focused on software with the s3 and even though mostly gimmicks it sells.

3. HTC's have better radios, better reception and they also need to get on all carriers, drop the EVO line and drop the same phone on all carriers.

4. Removable battery isn't good, I don't know how the droid razr and maxx sold but htc needs to go back to a removable battery and stop being stupid.

Can you imagine a nice m7 that comes with a standards 64gigs of flash memory? That will attractive well, drops the beat crap or if you continue them at least throw in some decent cans...

Redo Sense to make it more fashionable, focus on sound quality, add a removable battery and you have a winner...

Samsung is outworking other android carriers...

And drop the low end crap...

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I think it's ridiculous that they spent so much beating the S3 to the market with the One X, yet the S3 outsells it month after month. Now to piss off One X owners, they bring out a better One X+ 6 months later? Ridiculous.

Let's not forget that Sense sucks bad. Too intrusive and ruins the whole phone. Touchwiz is light and everyone I know with a Sammy always like how fast their phone feels. Everyone I know who has bought a HTC phone hates it. I hated my One X.

Sammy is cleaning house and their Galaxy line will only get better. I will only buy Sammy Androids. I'm firmly in the Samsung camp now. (it's interesting because Samsung made ****** phones until a couple years ago)

----------

Another thing is that Samsung has the luxury of making the screens, flash memory chips, etc all by themselves. They don't have to outsource them, so they can make them as cheap as possible.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
I really loved my Nexus 1, HD2, and then my Evo, then I got a ThunderBolt and I fell out of love with HTC.

They really need to step up their game, particularly with battery life.

I'd buy an HTC phone and then immediately buy an extended battery.

Were I to pick one thing that pissed me off about the ThunderBolt, it would be the software for the cell radios, I'd perform the simple act of getting on an elevator, and they thing would take 10 minutes to sync back up to the LTE network if ever...

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Reduced build quality, bad battery life, over-reliance on meaningless marketing nonsense like Beats.

My HTC Sensation has given me many problems and left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I used to love HTC, even right back in the Windows Mobile days, and when the G1 came out it was awesome, it was solid, and it was reliable.

Today however, HTCs are flimsy, often develop faults, break easily, have terrible battery life, and a bad update record - even when they do get updated, HTC does it half-assed and the official ROMs are full of bugs, as was the case with my Sensation which had to rebuild the Dalvik cache every time I turned it on with the official ICS ROM.

Plus, they don't seem to care about some of their biggest fans, the xda-developer guys. Yes they have an official bootloader unlock but you still have to use a hack tool to get S-OFF and unlock the bootloader fully. HTC's bootloader unlock is very limited.

HTC has focused a lot on getting their marketing up to scratch, but they need to focus on getting their devices up to scratch. Although personally if I buy another Android phone it will be whatever the latest Nexus is anyway.

All that said though, I have no idea why Samsung is doing better than HTC. Samsung's products are just as bad and TouchWiz is a nightmare. Go figure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.