Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
The screen would pop out before the metal bend from a bad battery. The metal is too thin and too weak. Apple chose a less expensive grade of AI and milled it to thin to withstand the rigors of daily life of a cell phone.

tracedog

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Apple Support - Update

I guess since I returned the item to the store already there is not much the Apple Support could do right then, but I have a case open with them to further research this problem. I have sent them all the photos I have and they will get back to me. In the meantime I'm opening up a case with my AMEX card too.

Cheers!

-T

tracedog

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012

Attachments

• Photo on 12-27-12 at 10.19 AM #3.jpg
    Photo on 12-27-12 at 10.19 AM #3.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Photo on 12-27-12 at 10.19 AM #4.jpg
    Photo on 12-27-12 at 10.19 AM #4.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 776

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
They were there......I swear...someone removed them..let me know if you still can't see these....

Yeah, looks sat on for sure. It doesn't take much to bend these. The Al is very malleable.

Last edited:

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
Yeah, looks sat on for sure. It doesn't take much to bend these. The AI is very malleable.
But if the guy says it wasn't sat on... then why just say it was... he was just talking on it.

And by the way it's Al (AL), not AI (ai).

tracedog

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Yeah, looks sat on for sure. It doesn't take much to bend these. The AI is very malleable.

I didn't sit on it, it bent by its lonesome self on my kitchen table. I had just finished a phone call and set it down then came back to find it bent. I was home alone at the time so no one could have bent it. I have no reason to lie about this on this forum. :mad:

I mean the thing does get very hot, that could be a cause that it bends no??

Last edited:

eyecon82

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
But if the guy says it wasn't sat on... then why just say it was... he was just talking on it.

pressure from the front pocket can also do it if the pressure is there long enough......ie, bending down to fill air in your car tire

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011

Yeah. No, it wasn't perfect, then he put it up to his ear and spontaneously bent as pictured. There is not enough pressure put on the metal to force it do bend on it's own.

Do you have more pics of the other side?

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I didn't sit on it, it bent by its lonesome self on my kitchen table. I had just finished a phone call and set it down then came back to find it bent. I was home alone at the time so no one could have bent it. I have no reason to lie about this on this forum. :mad:

If it was getting hot then something was wrong. I have yet to feel my 5 get anywhere near as warm as my 4S would at times. Even when charging.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
If it was getting hot then something was wrong. I have yet to feel my 5 get anywhere near as warm as my 4S would at times. Even when charging.

No heat didn't bend it. Nothing personal, but I don't believe it spontaneously bent. Could the screen spontaneously crack? Ultra rare but possible. Does aluminum bend on it's own unless there is quite a bit of stress put on it? No.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Yeah. No, it wasn't perfect, then he put it up to his ear and spontaneously bent as pictured. There is not enough pressure put on the metal to force it do bend on it's own.

Do you have more pics of the other side?

No heat didn't bend it. Nothing personal, but I don't believe it spontaneously bent. Could the screen spontaneously crack? Ultra rare but possible. Does aluminum bend on it's own unless there is quite a bit of stress put on it? No.

Completely agree. If it did get hot enough to bend itself (which is possible though the temp would have to be extremely high) there would be more issues than just a bent frame at that point.

Yes, I agree, it didn't just spontaneously bend on it's own. That just isn't in the realm of physics. The picture from the poster looks like he sat on it. I don't see any other way for these things to be getting bent. Unless you're like the DA that went to the apple store and purposefully tried to bend one.

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK

Some on here feel they have to have some weird loyalty to Apple and protect them. Do not let it get to you.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I have no reason to lie about any number of things either, but that doesn't mean I'm telling the truth about everything just because I say I have no reason to lie.

For example you could be: mad because Apple won't replace your damaged phone, editing photos because you want to see if you can pull it off (or for any number of reasons really), or even just an Android user pretending to have the issue (for the claims without pics of course) to troll.

All of those things CAN be true with the powers of the internet. That's why even if you "have no reason to lie" it doesn't matter. We have no way of knowing if that's true, so you need more evidence than a picture and a claim.

Watch:

Bigfoot stole my iPad Mini. He did. I swear. I have NO reason to lie about it.

(insert picture of Bigfoot with iPad Mini here)

See? He did! This is all Apple's fault somehow! Blah blah poor materials... Blah blah "gate"... Blah blah didn't buy AppleCare+...

Is that "proof" of anything??? Of course not.

Because the odds of something bending on its own (or being stolen by Bigfoot) are obscenely low, I call BS until real evidence is presented.

I do know that if you sit on it, it can bend. That makes sense to almost everyone. Bending on its own does not. That makes sense to almost no one.

Hence the doubt. It is well deserved. Sorry.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I just can't see how anyone could sit their phone down one minute and walk away. Then come back a few minutes later and it's all of a sudden bent. I just can't see how a rational person can believe such a story.

It may be how he remembers it but it's more than likely the first time that he noticed it. Which would mean that it didn't "just" bend and that there is a explanation for it. We're just don't have access to how these phones are used day in day out. I'm not saying that he is lying, I'm just saying that the story doesn't make sense.

anhn27

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
got the same problem recently

we went through the same ordeal yesterday: outer FedEx box was somewhat squished at one end, the inner bubble wrap inside had no air, but the iPhone5 box was in good shape, just minor dents here and there. However, the iPhone5 inside had a dent on the top of the volume down button and the device seemed to bent at that point.

called verizon cs a few times and they all asked to file a claim with FedEx. So we filed claim with FedEx as well. Didn't feel like verizon did its job to take care of its customer.

We took the damaged device to near by Apple store and they happily processed it under warranty. They simply swap out just device. We kept the original iPhone5 box and accessories.

Verizon, we're simply disappointed in the way your cs reps handled this case. Thumbs up to Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD1W5NLIBIo

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
we went through the same ordeal yesterday: outer FedEx box was somewhat squished at one end, the inner bubble wrap inside had no air, but the iPhone5 box was in good shape, just minor dents here and there. However, the iPhone5 inside had a dent on the top of the volume down button and the device seemed to bent at that point.

called verizon cs a few times and they all asked to file a claim with FedEx. So we filed claim with FedEx as well. Didn't feel like verizon did its job to take care of its customer.

We took the damaged device to near by Apple store and they happily processed it under warranty. They simply swap out just device. We kept the original iPhone5 box and accessories.

Verizon, we're simply disappointed in the way your cs reps handled this case. Thumbs up to Apple.

Thanks for sharing the video. That is awful; glad to hear Apple took care of you. They are great when it comes to taking care of their customers. Sent from my iPhone 5.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
Not saying the OP is lying, but from Apple's perspective, their QA would have caught something like this. They churn out MILLIONS of these things, and knowing Apple, their QA is above and beyond what I can say of other vendors. It's not to suggest they are perfect, but a bent ip5 like that should have obviously halted the assembly line and had it tossed. A perfect box does tend to indicate there were no external factors that caused the phone to be bent, thus leading to the implication this is an user issue.

I would try just gently bending it back...

eyecon82

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
Not saying the OP is lying, but from Apple's perspective, their QA would have caught something like this. They churn out MILLIONS of these things, and knowing Apple, their QA is above and beyond what I can say of other vendors. It's not to suggest they are perfect, but a bent ip5 like that should have obviously halted the assembly line and had it tossed. A perfect box does tend to indicate there were no external factors that caused the phone to be bent, thus leading to the implication this is an user issue.

I would try just gently bending it back...

how do you know there aren't thousands of people with this problem? Not everyone goes on forums, and most don't even know what they are...

i bet you if you go up to some random stranger and ask them what a form is, they' will look at you funny.

You can't judge by what you see on here, and there are at least 50 separate reports of this throughout the entire thread and other threads on this forum

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
50 reports? LOL! More like 10, by people who sit on their phone like idiots. Hell, my father sits on his 5 all the time, no bed. I think it's an ID-10T error.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009

they gave you a refurb

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
they gave you a refurb

They sure did. This is what fascinates me regarding the way Apple handles the return of defective devices that are brand new, for remanufactured or refurb devices. They tried to pull that on me back on November 1st. I told them no and called Verizon, who then sent me a new iPhone. To summarize: Customer receives damaged package from FedEx with a dented iPhone 5 inside (I don't think FedEx caused this, however. It's probably a manufacturing defect), and then takes it to Apple where his dented, albeit, brand new phone is exchanged out for a white-box refurb. What planet am I on? To even the staunchest Apple supporter this reeks of insanity. I wouldn't have accepted that if I were the customer. But to each their own. Remember all you Apple fanboys, all is well between you and Apple now. But one day things will go sour for you and when Apple tries to screw you over don't be shocked. You've been warned. This story is a perfect word of caution to all those on the fence regarding purchasing an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.