Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Is that why the iPad 4 smoked the nexus 10 in most benchmark scores?

^^^

Let's put the benchmarks a side for a min a look at reality for a bit.

Don't forget the scrolling and pinch to zoom lag the Nexus 10 has, it's a combination of Jelly Bean 4.2+ and the unnecessary amount of PPI from the screen that causes these type of problems, even with that Exynos 5250 Dual-core 1.7 GHz Cortex-A15 CPU.

Apple's Retina iPad CPUs are done properly; custom Dual Core SoC w/ "X" boosted Quad Core GPU, when it's really needed for heavy graphical intensive loads.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Why are you quoting something that compares the Razr Maxx instead of the Razr Maxx HD? The Razr Maxx was released all the way back in January 2012. The Razr Maxx HD was released in November 2012. The Razr Maxx used more power hungry LTE chips than what is available now for the Razr Maxx HD.

If you actually read the review for the Razr Maxx where they also tested with just using 3G at http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/31/motorola-droid-razr-maxx-review/, you would have seen:

And if you read the review for the Razr Maxx HD where they used LTE, you would have seen:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/19/droid-razr-hd-and-razr-maxx-hd-review/

These are numbers that Apple cannot match and all on a larger screen, too. The Razr Maxx HD even with LTE far surpasses the battery life of the iPhone 5. And if you use 3G, the Razr Maxx HD would further increase it's tremendous lead.

Did you forget that both those phones have bigger batteries then the iPhone 5? Of course they are gonna last longer.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
^^^

Let's put the benchmarks a side for a min a look at reality for a bit.

Don't forget the scrolling and pinch to zoom lag the Nexus 10 has, it's a combination of Jelly Bean 4.2+ and the unnecessary amount of PPI from the screen that causes these type of problems, even with that Exynos 5250 Dual-core 1.7 GHz Cortex-A15 CPU.

Apple's Retina iPad CPUs are done properly; custom Dual Core SoC w/ "X" boosted Quad Core GPU, when it's really needed for heavy graphical intensive loads.

I concur. Sometimes I want to know who's the person behind the chip design in Apple, he's a remarkable talent for designing all these chips that work seamlessly with the software so that iOS devices become a fluid experience.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I concur. Sometimes I want to know who's the person behind the chip design in Apple, he's a remarkable talent for designing all these chips that work seamlessly with the software so that iOS devices become a fluid experience.

I'm pretty sure Bob Mansfield has the final say in this dept, Apple is gonna have a huge headache trying to replace him with someone in his caliber in the next 2 years.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Did you forget that both those phones have bigger batteries then the iPhone 5? Of course they are gonna last longer.

OMG, of course they have bigger batteries. Don't tell me, you are going to use the Apple loyalist excuse that because it is not exactly the same as an iPhone, the iPhone is better.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
OMG, of course they have bigger batteries. Don't tell me, you are going to use the Apple loyalist excuse that because it is not exactly the same as an iPhone, the iPhone is better.

No what we are saying is look at the battery life apple is able to squeeze out of a battery that's effectively half as powerful.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
And running a screen half the size.

Half? It has just under 200,000 less pixels ( from the over approx 940,000 of the razr maxx HD). Apple was able increase screen size, increase power draw and performance and get the same if not better battery performance from the same battery as the 4s. You can't deny apples power efficiency. What we can gripe at is why they continue to want thinner when all we want is longevity.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Half? It has just under 200,000 less pixels ( from the over approx 940,000 of the razr maxx HD). Apple was able increase screen size, increase power draw and performance and get the same if not better battery performance from the same battery as the 4s. You can't deny apples power efficiency. What we can gripe at is why they continue to want thinner when all we want is longevity.

Not only does the iPhone 5 have 200,000 fewer pixels to calculate for, it's screen is also 38% physically smaller in surface area than the Razr Maxx HD (6.83 inch square vs. 9.43 inch square). My statement about the iPhone only having "half" the screen of the Razr Maxx HD is closer than you think.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
1. There is a reason why they have 120 billion in cash sitting there and you do not.
2. As other's have stated no matter how much money you pour in there is only so much 'innovation' you can create. We are limited in technology until some "Tesla" invents something genius. Usually it's by ordinary people, not some general Engineer guy taught by schools. Then, huge massive companies go off and battle it off to buy that technology. Have you seen how many companies Apple bought out? And don't forget that a ton of their core components were all Samsung. Apple is great at software and placing hardware together, but honestly, when it comes to hardware they're beat compared to companies such as Samsung. I own an iPhone 5 myself, not an android fan, but pointing out the facts.
3. A smart phone is a smart phone. Use it as a phone and some portable gaming, light app usage. You yourself may burn through 3 hours, but Apple is a company. Why are companies created? Not for the better good of human beings, but for money, money, money. Use wifi when needed, I can't imagine that you are away from a USB/plug for 3 hours straight or need to constantly use a phone without stopping for 3 hours straight. I myself have priorities such as job, school, sleeping, friends. Apple targets what the mass majority needs. I mean a laptop only lasts 7 hours max.
4. Don't blame Apple, blame the developers. A lot of apps aren't properly optimized to conserve battery life. Their code isn't efficient, thus, drains battery. Try disabling and uninstalling whatever isn't necessary. I probably charge my phone once or every other day. It's not much of a hassle to plug it in before bed, quick and simple with the new lightning adapter, don't gotta see which side is up right.

The iPhone 5 has surpassed my expectations in battery life. It runs very smooth on LTE compared to the other models that launched quickly, thunderbolt. The battery wasn't drastically increased in size from the 4S either, quite impressive. I didn't like the battery life on the 4S much with the iOS5, the iphone 5 handles iOS6 quite well with location services and push mail off.

English isn't my first language, forgive my grammar.

Edit: Also remember before all these fruit cakes came out with Ultrabooks, who was the leader in battery life in laptops? Thinness? Screen quality I.E. Retina? Exactly, Apple seeks consumer needs. Although, I wouldn't mind having greater battery life, I don't see it as a major priority. Their priority seems to be 'style' which human nature loves, showing off. Sleek phone and computer designs is why the mass majority love Apple. I mean why pay 2x the price for a Mac when you can get a PC with the same specs for half? wooot woot (I have a retina mbp). "Luxury"

Last edited:

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
The new battery technology is already discovered, it's just a matter of throwing money at it to make it market ready.

That's really funny.

If it was economically viable to "throw money" at a new battery technology to make it commercially viable, it would be done already.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
The ignorance is strong in this thread.

Thank god someone finally pointed out the fact that the iPhone gets similar if not longer battery life than phones with batteries twice its' size.

Software and the SoC is just as important for battery life as the battery itself.

It's probably not a good idea for Apple to drastically improve battery life anyway because they'll miss out on sales of spare chargers. Unless you want to pay substantially more for the device?

FYI, my battery easily lasts a day and I charge it every night. A longer battery wouldn't really make a difference to me for the vast majority of the time.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Because your definition of "innovation" is a pathetically gray area that will never be satisfied.

They could radically change battery tech and you would just complain that 3 days isn't enough... why not 5? Or 7?

The fact is: Apple has no NEED to substantially change anything at this point. There was a 3 week WAIT to even get an iP5 until a month ago... nearly a quarter after launch!
Apple doesn't NEED to change anything. Heck, they could even REMOVE functionality from the iPhone 5, change the colour of the aluminium and introduce it as an iPhone 5S and it would still break records.

I must agree with OP here. Battery life sucks on an iPhone. Try out any, 16:9, iPhone 5 3D game (think FIFA 13, think Need For Speed) at 50% brightness. You should be happy if you reach three, four hours of usage.

Steve Jobs once said that on a 10-hour flight, the entire way you can watch videos on your iPad. And when doing other stuff, it might would last even longer. I feel like that the iPhone should have similar battery life: when I take a 9 hour flight from Europe to the United States I should be able to watch a movie the entire time. Or be able to play 3D games for these 9 hours.

----------

Battery tech hasn't changed much ever since lithium ion became a thing. Wouldn't it be nice to have your phone fully charge in an hour? half an hour? 15 minutes? How about a mobile phone battery that lasts a week? Two weeks? A month? If everyone sat around with the attitude that "it's good enough as is, why bother trying to make it better?" then we never would've had some of the great technology we have now.

I'm not saying it's Apple's job to do something about battery tech (any company could get behind this, and I would encourage them to), but it's the point the OP makes; Apple has all this money sitting around. Why not create something that can make your own devices even more special and unique?
Well said.

Technology Quote Of The Year
If everyone sat around with the attitude that "it's good enough as is, why bother trying to make it better?" then we never would've had some of the great technology we have now.

Last edited:

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Let me ask it this way.

If you have a battery technology with a certain capacity per density that yields 12 hours of usage, but you improve the efficiency of the device's electronics and software to yield an additional 6 hours of battery life is that not the same thing as improving battery technology?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Again, as Apple is already offering phones with among the best battery life in the industry, there is little to no business incentive to improve the battery. Wanting to be able to game for 5 hours straight is an edge-use case, and you probably can already watch close to 10 hours of video (Anandtech reported 10 hours of wifi web browsing in their review, natively accelerated video should be better).

Why aren't we taking Google to task on this issue, when their phones consistently lag behind in this area?

I must know 30-40 people with iPhones. Not one of them has a complaint about the battery life. That's why this is relatively low priority.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
instead of complaining about battery life why don't we just realize the marvel that is the iPhone 5? Instead of thinking about it's faults think about it's features, it's one of the best looking, fastest phones on the market, with one of the world's most secure operating system and one of the best app stores, plus it's also one of the lightest smartphones ever. And it can fit in your pocket.

abhinav7333

macrumors member
May 5, 2012
Why would they, my battery last a day and a half on my 5 using it regularly with LTE always on and being used

It's amazing how people can just agree with this crappy battery life. When I was in engendering school, they were talking about carbon nanotubes batteries. That can last 10 times as long. Apple needs to do a lot of things. Battery, UI change, storage etc.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
It's amazing how people can just agree with this crappy battery life. When I was in engendering school, they were talking about carbon nanotubes batteries. That can last 10 times as long. Apple needs to do a lot of things. Battery, UI change, storage etc.

On what basis do you call it crappy? Who is doing it better?

Most people realize that once you can make it through the day, improvements beyond that are nice, but not a high priority. Better batteries will come, and it will be great, but I'd rather see improvements to laptop power efficiency first so that a light laptop can go 10-20 hours. That's a way bigger deal right now than extending my phones battery life further.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I agree with OP, i can't understand the nay sayers here about the battery capacity.
The iPhone has been stuck at 1400ish mAh battery capacity since the iphone 4. They made it 20% thinner, they have the cash to at least increase it to 2000ish mAh. They already have the iOS efficiency, why not increase the battery capacity.
The simplicity of iOS, combined with almost 300k choices of Apps, it will be no doubt the iPhone would sell 5-10 millions more if it has more battery capacity. Even if it's back to 4S thickness, increase in battery capacity is always a good thing.
It means more customization could be added, to iOS interface. And for user, they can enjoy more from the iPhone, in every situation.

The percentage of people who take battery life into account when buying a phone is practically 0. I supported iPhones for over 2 years, and I never heard any of the sales guys EVER talking about battery life to a customer. It just doesn't happen.

Although, tbh going by the Op's other posts on this forum, this whole thread is just another bash at Apple (he's never had anything positive to say about them).

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
And others drain their iPhone 5 before the day is over because they use it more. I can guarantee you I can drain an iPhone 5 in 3 hours. And others don't want to be a OCD pluggist every night.

I don't understand people who think its OCD to plug ur phone in every night. Isn't that the normal thing to do? While I'm sleeping, recharging my personal battery, my phone is doing the same. I could stay awake for 2 days straight if I wanted to...and then crash early on the 3rd day. But why? Isn't it more practical to go to sleep every night and maintain a nice cycle. Its stupid to get upset or angry because ur phone didnt last 2 or 3 days without charging when u can plug it in every night while u sleep and never have a problem.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Just charge the damn thing.

Use it and if the battery gets weak in a year or so, a replacement is only $30 from ifixit.

WTF people.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
With all that money just sitting around collecting dust, why doesn't Apple use it to bring to market new battery technology that is more advanced than lithium ion? You know, the new battery technology that always seems to be just around the corner like full charges in 5 minutes with 10 times the capacity of lithium ion? The only component Apple seems to spend R&D money on is the A5/A6 processors. You would think they could throw a few billion in R&D money around new battery technology.

How do we know they're not investing billions into this R&D field? I'm no expert on battery technology but I have to think there is only so much that can be done with it. I feel confident that Apple is currently using the best practices for current battery technology available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.