Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I bet 90% of the people complaining are Americans. (I'm America-SoCal baby). Americans are just spoiled.

You have zero evidence of this.

NOTE: Your membership in the Hate America First club doesn't count as evidence.

Last edited:

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Took me 4 Minis to get a decent one. The first 3 all had dust under the screen. And all pretty noticeable on a white screen like Kindle.

Took me 8 iPad 3s for the same reason. I think most iPads are like this if you know what to look for.

Having said that I stuck gold with the family iPad 4 first time. It was perfect.

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
My mini was perfect out of the box. Leaving the slate back uncovered and hasn't accumulated a single scratch. Same with my slate iPhone 5. :D:apple::D

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Okay, I dare you not to return your ipad if you have dust under it from day one.

A return maybe as many times as the original poster, not going to happen. I have had over a dozen Apple products, iPhones, iPod Touch's, iPad, Laptops I have yet to see a quality control issue. I don't think I am somehow just lucky.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Just wait till you drop it...lol
You might want to see a Dr. About the OCD.

As we have seen in many threads, the OCD "thing" is not about scratches or bumps afterwards, the device must be perfect from the box, it doesn't matter what happens afterwards as it is the users fault. The OCD (actually it is not OCD) kicks in from the minute the plastic comes off the box. Everything must be pristine and perfect to begin with, if not....well, we can see what happens by reading this site!

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
Internet forums and blogs represent less than 5% of all Apple users, most likely. I have absolutely no ground on this. Only the people who actually get defective products voice their opinions on these forums or blogs, which definitely doesn't add up to more than 10% of the entire iPad/iPhone ownership. I would say about 2-5% of users on MacRumors report an issue with their iPhone/iPad, that can't be fixed by software. That is extremely small numbers in the grand scheme of how many units are manufactured. There is no issues with the manufacturing process, bad batches happen...

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
this thread made me LOL and realize how ridiculous some consumers are, are you any chance american? i understand the dead pixel but the dust? the dust has to be pretty big for it to be returned :D:D

The dead pixel was the most minor Defect I've had. The dust was much more apparent. And if you've really read my post you would've known I'm Dutch.

----------

I don't know what fenjen's nationality is, but I know you're a bigot.

Haha thank you man. Much appreciated.

----------

As we have seen in many threads, the OCD "thing" is not about scratches or bumps afterwards, the device must be perfect from the box, it doesn't matter what happens afterwards as it is the users fault. The OCD (actually it is not OCD) kicks in from the minute the plastic comes off the box. Everything must be pristine and perfect to begin with, if not....well, we can see what happens by reading this site!

That.

----------

My week 51 iPad mini has a very very small scratch on / under the camera lens cover and a "loose" Lightning port (charges fine and stays in, but cable is wobbly). (I'm very OCD.)

Return it o.o

Mrs. Jobs

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
?? SINGAPORE
Interesting. I just returned from my Christmas break to The Netherlands and I heard quite a few of my friends returned their mini's as well because of (minor) flaws. So not sure, but maybe Holland did receive a considerable amount of bad batches. Back in Hong Kong now and nobody, including myself, has had to return their mini's. So maybe apologies are in order for OP!

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Interesting. I just returned from my Christmas break to The Netherlands and I heard quite a few of my friends returned their mini's as well because of (minor) flaws. So not sure, but maybe Holland did receive a considerable amount of bad batches. Back in Hong Kong now and nobody, including myself, has had to return their mini's. So maybe apologies are in order for OP!

Since that is the case, I would definitely contact Apple.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
You can return as many as you like. I'd do the same and I'm sure most would. It was just hard for me to understand how that many ended up being not up to par since it is way out of the normalcy.

Some of the responses are way over the top but I think the way you stated the thread topic is as well to some extent. I'm not sure it allowed for positive replies versus negative ones especially since agian it is way out of normalcy for this to happen.

Last edited:

propita

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
Love my mini!

I have small hands, and my husband put a honkin' big Otterbox Defender case on the iPad 1, so the mini is perfect for me. I've had NO problems with it out of the box. While I read on this board about people not being able to find one, my Apple store had/has at least a dozen of each color just waiting to be bought. I bought a $14 cover for it on Amazon and shove it in my purse, and carry it around with me. Very handy.

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Wow. I bought just one and mine is fine. I'm pretty pick with electronics too.

Good thing I didn't get it from the batch you were picking from... whew.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Wow, you are persistent. Way to go. Of the several Apple products I've bought, I've only had trouble with my MacBook, which Apple was happy to exchange for me. It works great now.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I guess it's some sort of a Christmas miracle that all three of our minis are fine. I haven't been able to find anything wrong with them.

What shocks me most here is that someone had time to return 9 iPads. Wow! Impressive lack of anything important to do.

As for the dust... It must be bigger in other parts of the world..bc I've never seen a speck of dust so big that it covered up a letter making it so it couldn't be read.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

Apple probably figured the Dutch people wouldn't notice the defects because they're always stoned. So they didn't need such good QC for the Dutch market.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
Well yeah I "suffer" from hyper focus. Which basically means once I notice something that bothers me, I have a hard time it go. Still if the device was alright I wouldn't be focussing on something.

A quick search shows hyper focus is a component of ADD, it sounds as if you've been diagnosed and treated for at least ADD.

It's extremely unusual for someone to spontaneously claim symptoms of ADD without having been diagnosed and treated for it by a medical practitioner.

Several questions, have you been treated for ADD? Are you taking medications now? Have you ever taken medications for ADD or depression?

I'm a health care professional with decades of experience and have a kid with ADD, what you're doing is something my kid does. (I'm also 1/2 Dutch).

Last edited:

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Well yeah I "suffer" from hyper focus. Which basically means once I notice something that bothers me, I have a hard time it go.

This explains a lot.

Please mention this in the first post of all future threads you start where you supposedly found defects in a product. It will save a lot of people a lot of time. Alternatively, get professional help before starting another 'defect' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.