Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayJamesWaller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Swansea, Wales
Hey guys, I recently got a 2012 MacBook Pro from a friend for Christmas and erased the HDD to set the whole thing up as new. Only thing is that when I tried to install the iLife Apps off the Mac App Store it wouldn't allow me to do so. Any suggestions for how to get these as I don't want to have to pay for them really if I don't have to.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
When you get a new Mac, you get a pop up message asking if you want to add these apps to your purchased apps via your Apple ID. Since these apps are tided to who ever purchased the Mac in the first place, you don't have access to them.

However I seen Apple give people codes to the Mac App Store for these Apps when they do a fresh install without first registering them to their account first. Not sure if they will do it for you as you are not the original owner, but it is worth a try.

Last edited:

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
You can't. You have to buy them.

I tried and tried to get Apple to credit the buyer of my previous Mac, but they refused. For all the "apple support is the best" comments floating around, I've had the opposite experience.

I'm sure there are other "options" to fix this problem. Seeing as you probably spent a small fortune on your purchase, I know I wouldn't feel bad doing it. Apple should really smarten up on this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.