Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Simply put my contacts are messed up.
So.

1- How do I delete them all to start again?
2 - What file type should Import the new list in?

By messed up I mean, the imported list has no email addresses included and I cannot see a way to remove the list so I can try to import again. Never had anything like this before. DUH!

Thank you

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
To fix corrupted contacts, you must go into Macintosh HD -> Users -> username -> Library -> Application Support -> Address Book (or Contacts if you're running Mountain Lion) via the Finder. Note that since Lion, the Library folder is hidden. Getting to it isn't that hard: Invoke Finder's Go To Folder... feature and type this at the prompt that appears:
Code:
~/Library
Click OK. You'll be sent to your user Library. From there you can navigate further.

Anyway, once you're in that folder you'll see some stuff in there. One of those files is your contacts database (its extension starts with .ab). Move that file elsewhere (while Address Book / Contacts is NOT running!) and restart Address Book / Contacts. You should now have a blank slate. If this did NOT work, quit Address Book / Contacts and move the file back.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Still trying!!!

Unfortunately the above did not work.

Is there a way of deleting my contacts Please.

From 'mail' and the contacts book.

Quite desperate now }-(

Thank You:(

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Unfortunately the above did not work.

Is there a way of deleting my contacts Please.

From 'mail' and the contacts book.

Quite desperate now }-(

Thank You:(
Back to the same folder, just blow away the whole AddressBook folder inside Application Support. That WILL work.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
To fix corrupted contacts, you must go into Macintosh HD -> Users -> username -> Library -> Application Support -> Address Book (or Contacts if you're running Mountain Lion) via the Finder. Note that since Lion, the Library folder is hidden. Getting to it isn't that hard: Invoke Finder's Go To Folder... feature and type this at the prompt that appears:
Code:
~/Library
Click OK. You'll be sent to your user Library. From there you can navigate further.

Simpler:
1. In Finder, click the Go menu.
2. Observe the menu drops down.
3. Press the OPTION / ALT key on the keyboard.
4. The "Library" menu item appears.
5. Choose it.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Simpler:
1. In Finder, click the Go menu.
2. Observe the menu drops down.
3. Press the OPTION / ALT key on the keyboard.
4. The "Library" menu item appears.
5. Choose it.
I didn't know about that little trick. Thanks!

That being said, I'll still use "Go To Folder" for going to /var/folders to look at temporary stuff, since I'm a developer and I need to check such things. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.