Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
Wow lots of great pics in here. I have my work cut out for me.

DirtySocks85: I like the blue sky in the top third of the photo along with the blue color in the bottom right corner. The barbed wire does a great job breaking these two up. Good shot.

AlexH: This is a great shot. I like how the telephone wires lead you to the sunset. Great colors and I love the silhouette. I would have cropped more of the blue sky out.

seattle: Great use of leading lines. Makes you wonder what's coming around the corner. Looks a little uneven, but I'm being nitpicky here.

MacRy: Good idea but I would get closer to the blinds. Try messing with different perspectives.

ijohn.8.80: I like how the lines on the right side lead you the white lines, which lead you to the center of the frame. The green tree really stands out with all the dark colors in this pic. Good shot.

Rich-212: Lots of different lines between the boom lift, the fencing and the structure itself. They all seem to get muddled together though so my eye wanders around the frame. A different perspective would be better, if possible.

ipos: This is an awesome shot. I love the symmetry, colors, how the lines all lead you to one spot. Very well done.

BarryJ: Something definitely different! The lines do lead you right to the bird. Sharp as a tack, good pose, bokeh is great. Maybe crop out the bottom left corner as it's a little distracting. Birds ain't easy, I should know.

Ish: I like the use of stairs as leading lines. Maybe get closer to the ground for a different perspective. Blue sky is distracting. When I see a picture like this, I always wonder what lies at the top.

someoldguy: Great shot. I like the repetitive nature. The fence on either side also has lines leading you to the center of the frame. Black and white definitely works here.

pakyooh: I like the overall feel of this shot. The lines frame the subject well. Makes me wonder where they're going. Looks a little crooked, but I'm being overcritical here. Nice shot.

jodelli: My eyes wander the frame on this one. I'm unsure what the subject is. I see the lines with the light posts, but they aren't leading anywhere. Try getting closer and simplifying the pic more.

JDDavis: I like how the line in the rock splits the light and shadow. If possible, I would have tried to compose this shot without my feet in it. Just adds more distraction to the image.

Laird Knox: Cool star trails! Really like the purple color of the structure. This whole pic is full of lines leading in every which way. I like how you had something interesting in the foreground.

Schtumple: Cool more star trails! Like Laird Knox's shot, this whole pic is full of lines. The telephone pole is kinda washed out in the trails though. Overall, I like it. I'm a sucker for anything dealing with astrophotography.

acearchie: I really like this. The repetition creates lines, which my eyes follow. It's a shame about the car behind the girl. If it wasn't there you could have a line of cars and buildings, bikes and then the sidewalk on the right, splitting this shot into three distinct areas. If you can, photoshop out the lightpost on the right, too.

Hankster: This is really cool. The mirrored image really messes with my perspective in a good way. Colors are great. The lines in this shot make it very interesting to look at. Well done.

milbournosphere: I'm glad to see more astrophotographers out there. I like the trails, they look crisp. Only criticism I have is to have something more interesting in the foreground. That will really make this image pop.

Melizard: I like this. The railing on the left mirrors the lines on the right perfectly. Also have horizontal lines on the bottom and top. I like the overall symmetry in this image. Great shot.

fireman32: I like how the stairs lead you to the center of the image. Some of the tree branches lead you there too. Well exposed and the colors are great.

-hh: Great use of lines in the tower. They lead me right to the top of it. I like the yellow color along with the black sky. Looks a little blurry though.

deep diver: I like how abstract this is. Something different. The lines that are created are interesting. Reminds me of looking at a galaxy in space.

jabbott: I like the feeling from this image. Black and white suites it. The lines at the top lead you further down the street. I would try to get more faces in the photo instead of people's backs.

NeGRit0: Cool use of shadows. I like how the lines on the right lead you right to the wall. Interesting perspective as well. Great shot.

1st place: ipos

2nd place: acearchie

3rd place: AlexH

Congrats to the winners and thank you to all that posted!

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Congrats ipos. I would have picked yours as the winner as well. Wonderful shot. Great job Fezwick on judging. Looking forward to the theme ipos chooses.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
acearchie: I really like this. The repetition creates lines, which my eyes follow. It's a shame about the car behind the girl. If it wasn't there you could have a line of cars and buildings, bikes and then the sidewalk on the right, splitting this shot into three distinct areas. If you can, photoshop out the lightpost on the right, too.

Thanks for the thorough feedback, especially with so many entries! This shot is from my film camera and I have a process whereby I try and keep it true to the image so I don't do photoshop with the film images.

The car really annoyed me too and it was simply a case of looking for the expression on the face and not noticing the background of course I then only realised when I developed the shots a few days later!

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
Congrat's all, some truly unique pictures amongst these!

ipos what is it? A view from under a bridge? The blingiest hood ornament I've ever seen? :confused:

Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated.
@ ijohn.8.80: Yes, view from underneath a bridge:)

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Great job judging Fezwick and one of the best rounds of pics I've seen in some time. Congrats Ipos, great shot.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Thanks Fezwick for the constructive comments and well done ipos for a brilliant picture and a well-deserved winner!

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Wow lots of great pics in here. I have my work cut out for me.

NeGRit0: Cool use of shadows. I like how the lines on the right lead you right to the wall. Interesting perspective as well. Great shot.

Congrats to the winners and thank you to all that posted!

Thanks for taking the time to comment, especially with so many entries. Lots of great images, and congrats to ipos. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.