Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danistyping

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Boston, MA
Hey guys - I have a question about hooking up a second display to my macbook air 2012.

When I use it as a secondary monitor (not mirrored), I can only fullscreen an application on the macbook screen. If I drag the window to the second monitor and click full screen, it goes back to the MBA screen and just leaves the gray mesh background on the secondary monitor.

What gives? Is there a way to fix this? Why would they do this?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I just checked here and it works as one would expect and not as you described, at least with Mountain Lion. The older 10.7 Lion would have performed as you described.

I can't think of something you might do. If no one offers a solution, you might want to contact Applecare.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Hey guys - I have a question about hooking up a second display to my macbook air 2012.

When I use it as a secondary monitor (not mirrored), I can only fullscreen an application on the macbook screen. If I drag the window to the second monitor and click full screen, it goes back to the MBA screen and just leaves the gray mesh background on the secondary monitor.

What gives? Is there a way to fix this? Why would they do this?

Fullscreen only applies to the main screen (the one with the menu bar and dock). You can make the external display as your main screen in System Preferences > Display > Arrangement. Then drag the little white bar from the smaller screen to the larger one. Your display will flash blue and the dock/menu bar will now be on the external. Now when you click fullscreen, it will fullscreen on the external.

----------

I just checked here and it works as one would expect and not as you described, at least with Mountain Lion. The older 10.7 Lion would have performed as you described.

I can't think of something you might do. If no one offers a solution, you might want to contact Applecare.

Wrong, Lion handled fullscreen the same way as Mountain Lion.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Fullscreen only applies to the main screen (the one with the menu bar and dock).

As I said, "I just checked". I did it with Safari. I just repeated it with Preview and Quicktime.

You can make an app go full screen on the display it is wholly on, and the other one goes "fabric", even if it isn't the main screen. The menu bar actually temporarily relocates to the alternate display while the full screen app is running. This is a new feature in Mountain Lion.

And I just found a reference: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/21/inside_os_x_108_mountain_lion_gm_go_full_screen_on_any_display.html

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
As I said, "I just checked". I did it with Safari. I just repeated it with Preview and Quicktime.

You can make an app go full screen on the display it is wholly on, and the other one goes "fabric", even if it isn't the main screen. The menu bar actually temporarily relocates to the alternate display while the full screen app is running. This is a new feature in Mountain Lion.

And I just found a reference: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/21/inside_os_x_108_mountain_lion_gm_go_full_screen_on_any_display.html

Weird. I just tried the same thing on my MBA and 24" external and it doesn't do that. Regardless, your reference seems legit so maybe it's my computer. I have no idea.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Mountain Lion introduced a feature where the window can go full screen on the secondary display if the window is on there.

So just drag the window to the secondary screen before entering full screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.