Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewall

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
U.K
Today i brought 4 cd's for £20 (2 stones 2 led zep) from HMV,full lp's with plastic case and a booklet,iTunes want £7.99 each no plastic case and no booklet,when i got home i put the cd's onto my ipod and then put the disc's on the shelf for everybody to look at and read,haven't found away to do this with a download yet,i think people who rave about itunes it's a case of emperors new clothes. :confused::confused::confused:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Today i brought 4 cd's for £20 (2 stones 2 led zep) from HMV,full lp's with plastic case and a booklet,iTunes want £7.99 each no plastic case and no booklet,when i got home i put the cd's onto my ipod and then put the disc's on the shelf for everybody to look at and read,haven't found away to do this with a download yet,i think people who rave about itunes it's a case of emperors new clothes. :confused::confused::confused:

Digital music stores are often more expensive than simply buying a physical CD in the store. That's true (especially if you're looking at lossless files). And you can get an even better deal if you buy used. You pay for the convenience I guess.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
iTunes Extras includes that sort of thing, though I personally don't care for having a physical CD. I haven't bought music from iTunes for some time, but it's useful when looking for music which might no longer be sold by stores. Same with Amazon MP3.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.

You display your CD cases? The nineties called...

My plastic is in a box in the basement. The album art can be viewed on any number of screens in the house. The lyrics are similarly on any phone or iPad.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
This is actually the fault of the studios. They set the base price. Also the same problem exists with movies, news papers, magazines, books and... It sure seems counterintuitive to pay more to reduce costs for the companies and waste for all of us but......

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Digital music stores are often more expensive than simply buying a physical CD in the store. That's true (especially if you're looking at lossless files). And you can get an even better deal if you buy used. You pay for the convenience I guess.

I think the prices between online (both Amazon and iTunes are the ones I use) and physical content do balance overall - I just think you should compare prices and buy the best offer available. I for my person do find more special offers online...

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
No one seems to have mentioned sound quality.In some cases paying more for inferior digital download sound instead of a hard copy on cd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.