Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zlayde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Hi all -

I'm a new Macbook Air owner and needed a USB 3 hub for all my stuff.

I bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TT91TW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02

...which seemed best rated and reviewed and such. It works just fine except that it won't recognize my external HD (which is in a usb 3 enclosure). Everything else gets picked up. The drive shows up just fine plugged directly into the Mac.

Is there anything I can do to make this work or should I be shopping for another hub? If so, which do you recommend?

Thanks,
Rich

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Hi all -

I'm a new Macbook Air owner and needed a USB 3 hub for all my stuff.

I bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TT91TW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02

...which seemed best rated and reviewed and such. It works just fine except that it won't recognize my external HD (which is in a usb 3 enclosure). Everything else gets picked up. The drive shows up just fine plugged directly into the Mac.

Is there anything I can do to make this work or should I be shopping for another hub? If so, which do you recommend?

Thanks,
Rich

Do you have the 12V power adapter plugged in? It's not picking up your external HD because the HD isn't getting enough power from the hub.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Yeh I do.

The second comment on that product page seems to have had the same issue...

"This hub was used on the USB 3.0 port of a new MacBook Pro. It had a sporadic (defective) connection on Port-1. This port usually did not work, although on a rare occasion it did connect for a time, before dropping out and unmounting the drive with an error message. This presented the potential for file/data corruption."

Try other ports and best, return it and try another brand.

zlayde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I tried other ports. I'll toy around a bit more.

My guess is I'm going to have to just try another brand..

andothfc

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Issues with USB 3 drives in general seem to be pretty common with these first lot of Macs that support it. I’ve all sorts of trouble trying to get either my MacBook Air or MacBook Pro Retina to mount my USB 3 drive with any regularity.

i-Moi

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2010
Same Hub, same problem

Hi,

UPDATE :
After my problems, Uspeed sent me —they proposed it— a brand new Hub : the responsible was the USB 3 cable. They just were great.

i-Moi
_______
I also just received this Hub from Amazon, for my MacBook Air bought on november 2012, and it just doesn't work. I plugged several devices on it, on the following ports :
  1. External USB 3 hard disk (3.5") : NO
  2. External USB 3 hard disks (3.5") : NO
  3. iPhone 4S (USB ?) : YES
  4. Flash card reader (USB 2) : YES
  5. DVD drive (USB 2) : YES

Then I changed ports : here are the results.

1. iPhone 4S (USB ?) : OK
  2. Nothing
  3. Flash card reader (USB 2) : OK
  4. External USB 3 hard disk (3.5") : OK
  5. DVD drive (USB 2) : OK
  6. External USB 3 hard disks (3.5") : OK

The first 3 ports seem to work badly, at least with USB 3 devices and on a MBA. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.