Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdehoogh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Just a heads up for anyone looking for a tough case, I was at BestBuy earlier today and they had both the Otterbox Defender and Griffin Survivor (I saw blue and black) in stock.

Lend27

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2004
I just received the new IPad Mini Otterbox Defender case. All I can say is Otterbox has done a wonderful job on this case. Everything fits great, easy to install. Absolutely love it.
Can't recommend it highly enough.
Great job Otterbox!

mdehoogh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
I actually went back and bought the Griffin. They both seem great and I thought I'd try out the Survivor. My biggest complaint about the mini is that it's almost too thin to hold easily. I also plan on tossing it in my bag with books and a laptop and want to have a case that gives me more peace of mind. These bulky cases solve both issues, making it much easier to hold as well as giving it great protection.

The Griffin does seem bulkier with thicker rubber and even thicker corners and 'handles' on the side. All the ports are sealed well including the rear camera (rear camera is exposed on the Defender). I think the Griffin is easier to hold since it isn't just a smooth, plain back. Rather, the thicker blocks give something large that's easier to grasp.

I do have a few complaints about the Griffin though, the rubber shell seems slightly too large for the plastic shell so it feels a little bit loose. I've had Otterbox Defenders on past phones and the rubber always loosens up over time and since the Griffin is a similar case, I would expect the rubber to loosen up over time but it already feels loose just a few days after buying it.

Also, the Griffin has a strange smell from the rubber part. I saw it mentioned about another case in a different thread and thought it sounded crazy but this case certainly has some sort of smell coming off.

I'm still debating about whether or not to keep the Griffin. I might exchange it for the Otterbox and see if its any better. This post ended up a lot longer than I thought lol

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
I actually went back and bought the Griffin. They both seem great and I thought I'd try out the Survivor. My biggest complaint about the mini is that it's almost too thin to hold easily. I also plan on tossing it in my bag with books and a laptop and want to have a case that gives me more peace of mind. These bulky cases solve both issues, making it much easier to hold as well as giving it great protection.

The Griffin does seem bulkier with thicker rubber and even thicker corners and 'handles' on the side. All the ports are sealed well including the rear camera (rear camera is exposed on the Defender). I think the Griffin is easier to hold since it isn't just a smooth, plain back. Rather, the thicker blocks give something large that's easier to grasp.

I do have a few complaints about the Griffin though, the rubber shell seems slightly too large for the plastic shell so it feels a little bit loose. I've had Otterbox Defenders on past phones and the rubber always loosens up over time and since the Griffin is a similar case, I would expect the rubber to loosen up over time but it already feels loose just a few days after buying it.

Also, the Griffin has a strange smell from the rubber part. I saw it mentioned about another case in a different thread and thought it sounded crazy but this case certainly has some sort of smell coming off.

I'm still debating about whether or not to keep the Griffin. I might exchange it for the Otterbox and see if its any better. This post ended up a lot longer than I thought lol

I took my Defender off last night because I thought I was missing out on the sexiness of my Mini. It went right back on this morning.

The Defender just feels right.

floridonet

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2011
Irvine, CA
I currently have the defender. It's definitely nice. However, I can't get over the bulk. Going to check out the Griffin today to see if it's a bit thinner to see if it can bring some sexy back. :p If so, Defender is going back.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
iam just waiting for my iPad mini case its coming on the 30th november feels ages away then i be able to take it out with me places i wont take the iPad mini out with me at the moment just in case that i scratch the iPad mini.Iam so glad to hear some feed back on the otterbox defender case for the mini that makes me happy that i would be getting a good case for my mini

My brother has one for the iPhone 4 and i looked at his for the iPhone 4 and thought that would do me for for my mini my brother has dropped his phone 100s of times and its still as good when he bought it.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Total weight of iPad Mini + Otterbox Defender

can someone post what the Otterbox Defender does to the weight of the iPad Mini? does it end up being nearly as heavy as an iPad 3/4 or is it still very very lightweight.

the iPad Mini in its current form is essentially feather-light to me while reading with one hand. will the Otterbox then prevent one-handed operation for long periods of time?

digital808

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
can someone post what the Otterbox Defender does to the weight of the iPad Mini? does it end up being nearly as heavy as an iPad 3/4 or is it still very very lightweight.

the iPad Mini in its current form is essentially feather-light to me while reading with one hand. will the Otterbox then prevent one-handed operation for long periods of time?

Its actually pretty good! I actually like the otterbox version compared to the others out there. My wife has the Joy Factory smart suit and i didnt like it so im replacing it with the otterbox. I got the pink one for my daughter. Being that i have a screen protector on the mini, I'm just gonna punch out the screen protector on the otterbox just like how i did on my iPad.

You can't compare the iPad 3/4 as far as weight goes compared to the mini i have the iPad 4 w/otterbox on and it weights a lot more but still managable. The mini with the otterbox is a perfect weight.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Its actually pretty good! I actually like the otterbox version compared to the others out there. My wife has the Joy Factory smart suit and i didnt like it so im replacing it with the otterbox. I got the pink one for my daughter. Being that i have a screen protector on the mini, I'm just gonna punch out the screen protector on the otterbox just like how i did on my iPad.

You can't compare the iPad 3/4 as far as weight goes compared to the mini i have the iPad 4 w/otterbox on and it weights a lot more but still managable. The mini with the otterbox is a perfect weight.

thanks for the info.

so an iPad Mini + Otterbox...are you still able to hold it in one hand for reading in Landscape mode? i find it easier to read in Landscape mode due to the text size and more surface to grip onto

digital808

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
thanks for the info.

so an iPad Mini + Otterbox...are you still able to hold it in one hand for reading in Landscape mode? i find it easier to read in Landscape mode due to the text size and more surface to grip onto

Yes you are able to hold it in landscape mode to read

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.