Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm going to say 8/10

I'll start with the bad.
I remember not long after I got the 5 I was on here saying how much I loved iOS and didn't think it was stale.........and now I feel different. I'm to the point where I just want to try something different just because. It has nothing to do with being unhappy. I'm just naturally curious about other things I haven't really tried in depth. This is the biggest factor in my score right now. If you would have asked me about a month ago I would have said at least a 9/10 if not 10/10.

The other is just a few random hiccups/lags. I can't pinpoint what is causing it yet, but at various times, when I go into settings it just hangs up and won't allow me to do anything in the settings until I close it from the recent apps bar.

The Good:
Front facing camera is worlds better than the previous models.
Bigger screen is used effectively in almost every app so far.
Speakers are louder and clearer to me.
Better blacks on screen than previous models.
Sound quality on phone is slightly noticeably better, but it's hard to tell why as most of the time I'm calling people who are either in a poor reception area, I'm in a poor reception area, they have an old flip phone, or a combination of all of those. I haven't heard this "significant improvement in voice quality" yet.
Love the way the aluminum back feels in the hand. I don't use a case or protective covers.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
2/10

- No removable battery (wtf?)
- No SD card slot
- Small screen (even my Galaxy Note 2 has a 5.5" screen)

- No Super AMOLED
- Still no Widgets
- iOS is exactly the same since 2007

- No language support for Ancient Hebrew
- No Firewire
- No USB ports
- No intel CPU
- No user upgradable RAM
- No physical keyboard
- No mouse
- Not all apps are free
- Costs more than a flip phone
- Doesn't run Symbian 5.0
- Iodised coating literally just falls off
- Doesn't run Internet Explorer
- Can't prevent a sub-Saharan Eritrean Warthog from charging at you in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- No live wallpapers
- No Google search bar on home screen

- Calls and data cost money
- No 5G
- No satellite phone capabilities
- No NFC
- No wireless charging
- No Capacitive home button

- Screen is not IGZO
- Can't play it like a flute
- Cannot run full version of Photoshop
- Only 2 cameras (i.e no side cameras)
- No subwoofer
- Does not come in more than 2 colours
- No stylus
- No compartment to carry coins
- No file directory
- No sub-folders

Highlighted in red are legitimate grievances.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
9/10

I wish the coating were more sturdy, but I can easily live with it.

I'd like a slightly larger screen, but since adding the Mini to my mix of toys, I'm happier with it, do most of my mobile surfing on the Mini.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
9.5/10 It loses a half point only because I had to have the phone replaced twice for LTE not working on both phones, but now that I have a good one, everything is working perfectly. Also last phone had some scuffs on the bottom, even though it was in a case, not sure how but oh well, this one is perfect now.

I had every phone since the 3G, love the phone and all the new features over time, but that being said, the icons need a change or Apple can let developers create themes, and even charge for them, let people change their phones to the way they want (one thing I like about Android to a point) and black and white is boring especially that Apple has some neat colors out there for the iPod Touches and iPod's.

Anyway will be sticking with the iPhone as I have tried the new android phones, just that I am too embedded into iOS with Mac's and iPad's iCloud etc.

bkd0255

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
Arizona
2/10

- No removable battery (wtf?)
- No SD card slot
- Small screen (even my Galaxy Note 2 has a 5.5" screen)
- No Super AMOLED
- Still no Widgets
- iOS is exactly the same since 2007
- No language support for Ancient Hebrew
- No Firewire
- No USB ports
- No intel CPU
- No user upgradable RAM
- No physical keyboard
- No mouse
- Not all apps are free
- Costs more than a flip phone
- Doesn't run Symbian 5.0
- Iodised coating literally just falls off
- Doesn't run Internet Explorer
- Can't prevent a sub-Saharan Eritrean Warthog from charging at you in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- No live wallpapers
- No Google search bar on home screen
- Calls and data cost money
- No 5G
- No satellite phone capabilities
- No NFC
- No wireless charging
- No Capacitive home button
- Screen is not IGZO
- Can't play it like a flute
- Cannot run full version of Photoshop
- Only 2 cameras (i.e no side cameras)
- No subwoofer
- Does not come in more than 2 colours
- No stylus
- No compartment to carry coins
- No file directory
- No sub-folders

hahaha side cameras too funny!

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
well compared to a 4S not that much is different. You can say it's faster but is that one second different on opening apps worth $200? A taller screen doesn't matter to some people, if you're on AT&T with a 4S you probably don't even need LTE if you're not tethering. It's a stable phone but bland.

Thinner and lighter isn't always better. True Internet is faster but the average user probably won't even notice it. I only had the 4 and I don't feel the 5 was a huge upgrade

You're the thread starter...why are you arguing with folks responding to your request to rate their experience? I'm not sure who this average user is that you speak of...my wife is definitely ignorant to most technology, and certainly perceived, evolutionary improvements to iPhones...BUT, She was absolutely blown away by the speed of LTE!
And I this case, yes....both thinner and lighter are better.

Like any forum with reviews/ratings, you learn more from the lower scores.

OR...you could deduce an incredibly happy (& picky) bunch of forum geeks that are incredibly happy with this iteration...As the reviewers are, and as displayed by supply shortages....that this is a damn fine phone, eh?

It is...I've owned every iPhone. It's the best yet. I'll give mine a perfect 10/10. I'm just not sure there's anything else I would ever need mine to do. It's a pocket computer with faster Internet access than my home ISP! Love. It.

J

marcperrot

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
8/10

I like most everything about it, as I have with my previous iPhones. My only grievances are battery life, a dead pixel in my screen and a bright dot of light that appears on pictures taken with my front camera. I also wouldn't mind some new functionality in iOS. Maybe in iOS 7?

I've been considering getting a replacement because of the dead pixel and front camera issue. Anyone have any suggestions/thoughts?

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW

The iPhone 4 was my favorite consumer electronics purchase of all time. The 5 wasn't quite as good. The size/weight was good and LTE was a bonus. Neither of them felt particularly innovative. It was more Apple finally giving people what they wanted than doing something new.

While it was a definite improvement, I have a hard time giving Apple a whole lot of credit for it.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I'd say 7 to 8/10.

The phone isn't really that impressive when coming from the 4S. The display is larger (but not wider), LTE is fast (though I switch it off as coverage is still pretty spotty in my city), but everything else is just standard from the iPhone 4S in my day-to-day use. I will say that once you get used to the lighter feel of the phone, it is truly beautiful, but I still love the feel of the 4S (albeit its fragility).

I would lean more towards a 7, because having used Android Jelly Bean devices, you can just see how great of an OS Android has become, how it continues to evolve. Where it stands now, Android is just as great as iOS, and in some cases it is better. But, I still prefer the app ecosystem of iOS in terms of developer's design sensibilities (and I love iMessage).

I'm looking forward to what a Jony Ive inspired iOS looks like down the road, and how it might improve my iPhone 5 experience.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010

I wish I had bought the Nexus 4. But damn, I wasn't able to find one! Dumb Google.

EDIT: Coming from iPhone 4S.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I never said I expected that. I've known since 2007 that the iPhone will never have a user replaceable battery and swappable memory. I merely stated those points in order to illustrate how my personal iPhone experience would have been better had the iPhone included those things.

Not to be rude but did you even read my post properly I never blamed Apple for apps not being updated either. A few of mine that I use on a daily basis - mainly non mainstream ones like my banking app haven't been updated yet and the black bars are irksome to me but not full on annoying. Plus like you said, most apps have been updated so it isn't too bothersome.

The OP asked me to rate my iphone experience. I listed what I liked and what bothered me. I'm not blaming anyone, nor did I have unrealistic expectations of the iPhone.

Every phone has its bad points. I simply did what the OP said and rated my experience with the iP5.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as rude or inconsiderate.

There are certain remedies for the battery, like the Mophie case for example. You would have to buy an extra battery anyway if thr iPhone had a replaceable battery, but the Mophie case does the same. It's probably even more convenient than a replaceable battery since you can charge the case and the iPhone at the same time.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
You're kidding right? That's like saying a Ferrari 599 is not that much different than a Toyota Celica because they both have 4 wheels and a windshield... The Ferrari is just "slightly" faster and has a few more features that "don't matter".

The 5:

Is more than twice as fast
Has LTE
Has faster Wi-Fi (5Ghz N)
Has a bigger, better calibrated screen
Has better cameras (sapphire lens and HD FaceTime)
Is Thinner
Is Lighter
Uses charging technology that will be SUPPORTED going forward
Has much more resale value/potential as the 4S continues to age
Has better battery life
Charges faster

I could go on... But the only people who really believe the 4S is comparable are the people who either are stuck without an upgrade (or can't afford it) or are Android folks fishing for flames. VERY few people (maybe 5 out of 100, IF that) would choose a 4S and $100 over a 5.

The 4S was a FINE phone (as the Celica is a FINE automobile). But there is NO comparison to the 5. It is simply a different (better, faster, smarter) animal.

You can say the upgrades "don't matter", but that doesn't mean it's true. They obviously do, or no one would buy the 5 over the cheaper 4S.

The 5 kicks some serious 4S tail... (and that's no shot at the 4S, which I still think is the second best phone on the market... it's just a teastament to the 5).

Ugh....Ferrari vs a Celica? Really?

My experience, after going though 4 of them, was a 2 out of 10. Then I gave it to my wife. She had it for a week and then sold it and went back to her 4S.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
8/10

1 mark off for a few marks out of the box and 1 mark off for the WIFI problems that still persist after the WIFI bug update. Apart from that the phone is amazing. It is incredibly smooth and stable and if feels and looks really nice. There might not be huge changes from the 4S but it does everything extremely well and the camera is really good as well. I paid £530 for an Apple unlocked 16GB black and I'm really glad I decided to drop the money on it.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Sorry, didn't mean to come off as rude or inconsiderate.

There are certain remedies for the battery, like the Mophie case for example. You would have to buy an extra battery anyway if thr iPhone had a replaceable battery, but the Mophie case does the same. It's probably even more convenient than a replaceable battery since you can charge the case and the iPhone at the same time.

Don't worry about it. My intentions in my reply to you was to justify the bad points that I listed; not to snap back at you. ;)

The battery life is fine for now. I run it down hard but it gets me through the day, no problems. My only concern is when going out for long trips (solvable with mophie case, like you said) or when after about 1.5 years the battery starts to wear out (like it did with my iPhone 3G). It would have been nice to have been able to swap the battery out myself but that isn't the case. No big deal!

I suppose the advantage of not having a removable battery is reflected in the aesthetics of the phone. Having a seamless, all in one design does look very nice and adds to the overall look and feel of the phone.

Godf1st

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2012
9.5/10

Lacks the ability of freedom away from iTunes. Needs USB storage function at least since there's no sd card slot. I've had the Note, s3, One x, skyrocket, HTC EVO, EVO 3D, iPhone 4S, etc., and this by far is the smoothest phone of all. IMHO Android gets buggy over time. Looking forwards to ios 6 becoming more optimized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.