Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Can someone who owns both compare the pros and cons? I'm contemplating buying one of them and not sure which one is better/superior in features and uses.

Thanks.

werthan

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I had the same question. Have been waiting on OneSafe to release their desktop apps so I could properly compare the two. (Also, really wondering how each will import Keepass data.)

So far, the pros and cons I have for OneSafe is that it seems to be more flexible on pricing and has a fantastic user interface. (I own it for iPad/iPhone.) I like the double-password section.

1Password 4 now seems to have a good interface too, and has been around for a long time with a lot of users. However, its pricing leaves a lot to be desired (-- I am not referring to the fact that they charge separately for the latest version, but more that they charged for different platforms).

Difficult decision because I tend to keep these types of apps long term.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I had the same question. Have been waiting on OneSafe to release their desktop apps so I could properly compare the two. (Also, really wondering how each will import Keepass data.)

So far, the pros and cons I have for OneSafe is that it seems to be more flexible on pricing and has a fantastic user interface. (I own it for iPad/iPhone.) I like the double-password section.

1Password 4 now seems to have a good interface too, and has been around for a long time with a lot of users. However, its pricing leaves a lot to be desired (-- I am not referring to the fact that they charge separately for the latest version, but more that they charged for different platforms).

Difficult decision because I tend to keep these types of apps long term.

Exactly. I did not realize I owned OneSafe so I was able to download it… I think I got it for free through a promo code. Anyhow, I hate how I cannot export as CSV or transfer to another app unless I email a zip file.

On another note, oneSafe no longer exists on the app store… did the developers pull it? I don't want to be left with an app that is no longer supported by the devs so maybe I will just buy 1Password 4.

Anyway for me to sync 1Password 4 to my Mac without the desktop app? In other words, can I use the safari extension to save passwords and sync to my iPhone/iPad?

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Exactly. I did not realize I owned OneSafe so I was able to download it… I think I got it for free through a promo code. Anyhow, I hate how I cannot export as CSV or transfer to another app unless I email a zip file.

On another note, oneSafe no longer exists on the app store… did the developers pull it? I don't want to be left with an app that is no longer supported by the devs so maybe I will just buy 1Password 4.

Anyway for me to sync 1Password 4 to my Mac without the desktop app? In other words, can I use the safari extension to save passwords and sync to my iPhone/iPad?

Edit: this is for the Mac app, not with regard to the iPad. Same is true for the Windows application.

I can't say anything about the other application you're looking to compare to. I actually avoid threads like this to remain neutral. But your question here is something I can answer.

The extension gets its data from the application. So you can't just use the extension without the application. They're effectively the same thing, one doesn't work without the other.

Hope that helps though!

Last edited:

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Edit: this is for the Mac app, not with regard to the iPad. Same is true for the Windows application.

I can't say anything about the other application you're looking to compare to. I actually avoid threads like this to remain neutral. But your question here is something I can answer.

The extension gets its data from the application. So you can't just use the extension without the application. They're effectively the same thing, one doesn't work without the other.

Hope that helps though!

OK, thank you. So in order to sync I would need to purchase the 1P4 iOS app (now universal) and the desktop app (which I assume will be released soon as the current one is 1P3) and then download the browser extensions.

Something for me to think about. Thank you for answering, I appreciate it.

On another note, is there a plan on adding tabbed browser + bookmark integration in the iOS app? I've been reading a lot of reviews on the app store and it seems to be one of the most popular wants for a lot of people.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
oneSafe 2.0.5 had a major bug in it and had to be pulled from the store. They are waiting for Apple to process the new version.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
USA
oneSafe 2.0.5 had a major bug in it and had to be pulled from the store. They are waiting for Apple to process the new version.

OK, thank you. I checked their website but did not find information anywhere.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I would personally go for 1Password, ok it costs a little more, but you get what you pay for and that is support that is second to none. Aptly demonstrated by AGKyle who keeps an eye on these forums and will help out any 1Password users.

If you are going to invest in a password manager you want to make sure that you are dealing with a company that responds very quickly to issues when Apple updates the OS, and Agilebits the company behind 1Password is very responsive.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I would personally go for 1Password, ok it costs a little more, but you get what you pay for and that is support that is second to none. Aptly demonstrated by AGKyle who keeps an eye on these forums and will help out any 1Password users.

If you are going to invest in a password manager you want to make sure that you are dealing with a company that responds very quickly to issues when Apple updates the OS, and Agilebits the company behind 1Password is very responsive.

Thanks for the opinion. Their support seems to be top-notch and so do their apps… I'm just contemplating if I should purchase it now that I know I already own oneSafe.

oneSafe 2.06 is available now and the bug that was in 2.0.5 was fixed.

I saw. Thank you. I've downloaded it but haven't had a chance to try it out… hopefully it wouldn't cause any issues. I did take an email backup of the whole thing before hand as backup.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
OK, thank you. So in order to sync I would need to purchase the 1P4 iOS app (now universal) and the desktop app (which I assume will be released soon as the current one is 1P3) and then download the browser extensions.

Something for me to think about. Thank you for answering, I appreciate it.

On another note, is there a plan on adding tabbed browser + bookmark integration in the iOS app? I've been reading a lot of reviews on the app store and it seems to be one of the most popular wants for a lot of people.

Correct. Mac and iOS app (universal).

The version 4 of the iOS app includes a tabbed browser in both iPad and iPhone.

Bookmarks are something we've had a few requests for, but I can't promise anything. Just that I'll discuss with the developers.

An alternative to bookmarks would be the "Favorites" feature in 1P4. Just favorite your most used items and they'll show up in the Favorites pane. This works really well for the 10 or so most used items.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
LastPass is another option. It's free, gets great reviews and you can sync it with Windows, iOS, Linux and OS X. I've used it for a couple of years and it's been excellent.

https://lastpass.com/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406190,00.asp

"Sometimes the best things in life really are free. LastPass 2.0, the latest edition of PCMag's Editors' Choice for password manager, won't cost you a penny, and it outperforms the competition, both free and paid."

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Another thing to think about is how easy are password managers to crack/hack. Security expert Steve Gibson did a run down 6 months ago and 1Password was so secure he almost forgot to mention it. Not sure if oneSafe was on that list or not.

From a transcription of Steve Gibson's Security Now podcast on TWiT.tv (hosted by Leo Laporte)
STEVE: Yeah. 1Password...

LEO: They're probably the No. 1 iOS password manager.

STEVE: Well, yes. And they are absolutely strong. They're as strong as any of the good ones.

LEO: Oh, okay.

STEVE: And from looking at the blog postings, they're going to make it stronger. They weren't, as I recall, they weren't doing any password strengthening, though all of their crypto was absolutely good and solid. I can probably - I didn't have it in my notes, but I think I've got the - I've got it right here in front of me, the ElcomSoft deal, what they said about 1Password. Yeah.

1Password Pro, it is $14.99. And it actually uses a bunch of MD5 hashes with salt, so rainbow tables cannot be applied. And it uses AES-128 encryption to generate database keys and strong validation. And I do know from reading their blogs that, if they haven't already, they're just in the process of adding some good strengthening to bring it up to speed. But I was impressed by everything that I saw on their website. So I think 1Password Pro is - and it looks like it's the priciest one of the ones we've seen. But they've done a good job. So I would absolutely trust them. There is no backdoor, no shortcut into passwords stored with them.

Personally, I've been using 1Password for years and have always had a good experience, especially with their support. They listen to users and are fairly transparent when it comes to upcoming updates.

I also think the OS X browser extensions are the best (in Safari you really don't even need to use the main app).

I recently upgraded to 1P 4 for iOS and really like it. Favorites are nice, it's easy to get to passwords (icons help a lot), and looks a lot like the main desktop app so continuity is there. So far, DropBox syncing has worked well (haven't tried iCloud as I haven't upgraded to the Mac Store version).

It is expensive to get started but I don't mind supporting small developers; especially when the app is solid, works well, and even looks good.

Last edited:

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I've just switched to the new 1Password on iOS. A few bugs as its a new version but they are aware of them.

Worth the price so far - iCloud and Dropbox syncing both working fine for me :)

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
I've just switched to the new 1Password on iOS. A few bugs as its a new version but they are aware of them.

Worth the price so far - iCloud and Dropbox syncing both working fine for me :)

Great to hear!

I know the entire team here is thankful to have users willing to cope with a couple of bugs right now. We wouldn't knowingly release an app with bugs in it, so we are doing our best to fix them and with a brand-new-from-the-ground-up-rewrite we knew there were going to be some that we didn't catch. We'll get them fixed up though :) Just give us a little time

We're still trying to catch our breath after the release of 1Password 4 for iOS. But a new update to 1Password 4 should be around the corner that fixes the biggest of the bugs. A few smaller bugs may still exist (that we're aware of) and we'll continue to improve with each release.

If any of our users see bugs, please let us know via our support page (see the signature) and we'll make sure we see if the bug is known or not and if not we'll make sure it gets added to the list to get fixed.

werthan

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Thought I would open this thread back up now that OneSafe has released a desktop app for OS X. Any comparisons between it and 1Password or Lastpass?

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
LastPass wins, no contest.
Though LastPass's mobile apps are kind of mediocre (that goes for the Android app as well, though I haven't used Android in a while), the browser integration is unmatched. It's extremely portable and extremely cheap. I have no problem paying 12$ a year for such a good service.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
does onesafe have a browser extension like 1pass?

has anyone transferred from 1pass to one safe?

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
The fact that 1Password (AgileBits) is often on MacRumors, listening to their customers and helping people if they are having problems is enough for me to continue to support them. I love 1Password, it has changed my computing security and will never be without it again.

Thanks AgileBits!

Tom951

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2013
Hi all,
I'm a oneSafe user, and I had no issues with their support. They're very reactive! So I don't believe it's a key differentiator with 1P.

Now that they released the Mac app, the suite looks very good, and the syncrhonization is seamless. And the iOS app is truly a killer in terms of user experience and functionality.
By the way, their support team told me that the Mac version is going to be dramatically improved in the coming months as they're heavily investing as we speak to develop new features and a top-notch integration in OS X - I can't wait :D

Thanks oneSafe :apple:

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
I can't speak about 1Password, it I'm very happy with OneSafe - and it's much cheaper. For £4.68 I managed to get both the iOS and the mac version.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
does onesafe have a browser extension like 1pass?

has anyone transferred from 1pass to one safe?
oneSafe is working on the broswer plugins and they should be ready soon according to a post they made.

Hi all,
I'm a oneSafe user, and I had no issues with their support. They're very reactive! So I don't believe it's a key differentiator with 1P.
I've also had no issues with oneSafe support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.