Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
Mineee

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356386263.275892.jpg

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
The difference between the authentic and fakes is that the authentic is anodized aluminum and the fakes are painted. The difference in quality finish clearly shows.

Not true. I have several fakes and they are all anodized. UNLESS you're talking about the white then they may be painted instead of powder coated, I don't own one.

The real shame is that Element charges $140 for BUMPERS.
LoL that's for the base.... knock it up to the block ops and you're paying $200:eek: No thanks, I'll take mine for $35. I do hope they come out with one of the wood ones.

Last edited:

stanlehh

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
So my Sector 5 just arrived today. I removed the my VaporPro bumper case to compare the two.

First of all, I can say that the fit is better on this "Sector 5" out of the box compared to the VaporPro that needed to be bent a little to be flush with the phone.

However the headphone jack opening is even deeper on this Sector 5 than on the VaporPro making the headphone selection even more limited. Also the bottom opening is divided into three separate sections whereas it was wide open on the VaporPro design.

As far as a signal reception test using field test mode:
iPhone 5 without case: -96 on desk (-110 in hand)
iPhone 5 in Sector 5 case: -97 on desk (-111 in hand)
iPhone 5 in VaporPro case: -97 on desk (-111 in hand)

So as you can see the impact on the signal is negligble with both the Sector 5 and VaporPro.

One negative that I noticed is that this Sector 5 is not a "lay on the table" design as the front edge of the case is flush with the front glass. If you set the phone face down, the front glass will touch the surface of the table. The VaporPro case on the other hand had a slightly raised front edge that kept the glass from touching the table/desk/counter.

As far as the overall finish I see a slight asymmetry in the machining of the front bevel and my case came with a tiny dent in the back edge. The edges dont seem quite as sharp as they were on the VaporPro which in my eyes is a good thing as I keep my iPhone 5 in the same pocket as my work iPhone 4. The back of my iPhone 4 case was getting quite scratched up by the sharp edges of the VaporPro on my iPhone 5.

Overall, I'm reasonably happy with this Sector 5 case. It improves on several of the issues that I had with the VaporPro including initial fit and edge sharpness. Based on my testing, neither case significantly impacts cellular signal strength as compared to a bare phone. The drawbacks however, are not being a "lay on table" safe design, deep/narrow headphone jack opening, and slight asymmetry in machining.

any idea does yours come with the black corner connectors instead of the transparent ones that came by default?

Prospekt

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
Can you take a close up of the black finish pwetty please? Does it feel ultra smooth or rough?

Hey buddy..These were the best pics I could get. Anything closer and it wouldn't focus well (or I still don't know how to use my camera to its fullest extent :p ) Mine feels smooth and high quality. Still no scratches or chips, but maybe I got lucky?

Sorry for the meh photos

idwwva.jpg

s0v9xe.jpg

kaikai830

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2010
Amazing combination! Is that a skin on top of your aluminum home button? :cool:

Can you please give us the low down on what you have? The skin and the home button setup!

Thanks, I have the stckerboy 2 Tone full body skins - slate jet black brushed and black stealth antibacterial/smooth finish upper & lower back skin . The home button skin is the slate jet black brushed that comes with the set.

zentrani

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
Hey buddy..These were the best pics I could get. Anything closer and it wouldn't focus well (or I still don't know how to use my camera to its fullest extent :p ) Mine feels smooth and high quality. Still no scratches or chips, but maybe I got lucky?

Sorry for the meh photos

We need to make a rule:

When ever anyone posts a pic of their phone, list the components of the case please. So i don't have to ask...

Hey budd, what is your set up?

Prospekt

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
We need to make a rule:

When ever anyone posts a pic of their phone, list the components of the case please. So i don't have to ask...

Hey budd, what is your set up?

Black sector 5 replica from caseswill with white lucky lab stickers and a white leather back from spigen

FuNNuTz

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
So my Sector 5 just arrived today. I removed the my VaporPro bumper case to compare the two.

First of all, I can say that the fit is better on this "Sector 5" out of the box compared to the VaporPro that needed to be bent a little to be flush with the phone.

However the headphone jack opening is even deeper on this Sector 5 than on the VaporPro making the headphone selection even more limited. Also the bottom opening is divided into three separate sections whereas it was wide open on the VaporPro design.

As far as a signal reception test using field test mode:
iPhone 5 without case: -96 on desk (-110 in hand)
iPhone 5 in Sector 5 case: -97 on desk (-111 in hand)
iPhone 5 in VaporPro case: -97 on desk (-111 in hand)

So as you can see the impact on the signal is negligble with both the Sector 5 and VaporPro.

One negative that I noticed is that this Sector 5 is not a "lay on the table" design as the front edge of the case is flush with the front glass. If you set the phone face down, the front glass will touch the surface of the table. The VaporPro case on the other hand had a slightly raised front edge that kept the glass from touching the table/desk/counter.

As far as the overall finish I see a slight asymmetry in the machining of the front bevel and my case came with a tiny dent in the back edge. The edges dont seem quite as sharp as they were on the VaporPro which in my eyes is a good thing as I keep my iPhone 5 in the same pocket as my work iPhone 4. The back of my iPhone 4 case was getting quite scratched up by the sharp edges of the VaporPro on my iPhone 5.

Overall, I'm reasonably happy with this Sector 5 case. It improves on several of the issues that I had with the VaporPro including initial fit and edge sharpness. Based on my testing, neither case significantly impacts cellular signal strength as compared to a bare phone. The drawbacks however, are not being a "lay on table" safe design, deep/narrow headphone jack opening, and slight asymmetry in machining.

Hi KojiH, can you post more photos? Thanks

matthew825

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Ok, it never gave me the option for express shopping. I ordered on the 26th and according to tracking it still hasn't left china. That's why I ask.

Seed me

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Finally got 5 in after 30 days! Going to sell two in black ops on EBAY. Anyone interested? Will post pics later.

zentrani

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
Just got mine. Its pretty awesome. The only way to know its a fake is the font along the side is clearly wrong. Interior stuff is different as well (I think the legit element cases include some sort of rubber interior which is lacking). But with the rash guards provided. It looks really good. Glad I made the purchase. I'm not rich enough to afford 150$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.