Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I know some people prefer the current size, 3.5 or 4. But both of these are too small especially after playing the samsung or HTC phones.

Those big phones just look nice. I am so tempted to buy those phones and just give up my iPhone.

Apple should be more considerate and make a few options. Let the customer pick.

I have friends who feels the same too.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I like the iPhone 5 size. I will not upgrade to the 5S, no matter what size the screen is.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Dell offers laptops in 6 screen sizes. Apple has 3. This is a pretty typical example on how both companies do things. Don't expect their outlook on these things to suddenly change.

If you're not yet aware that this is how Apple rolls, well, now you know. This is how Apple rolls.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Dell offers laptops in 6 screen sizes. Apple has 3. This is a pretty typical example on how both companies do things. Don't expect their outlook on these things to suddenly change.

If you're not yet aware that this is how Apple rolls, well, now you know. This is how Apple rolls.
true.....but they have 6 different laptops models.......
Also they said the size of the original iPad was perfect and they would never make a smaller one......well we know how that turned out and they are selling millions of iPad Minis and selling out of them.....Why not 2 sizes of iPhone?

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Why not 2 sizes of iPhone?

There are 2, 4S and the 5. But yea I get what you mean.

iOS needs to be changed for larger screens anyway, having the back button on the top left is not comfortable. Needs to be somewhere on the lower part of the screen.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Next iPhone -> 5S (following past trends)

5S -> internal upgrades, hardware remain the same (following past trends), which means screen size will be the same. Apple took 5 years to increase the screen size ONCE, they certainly wouldn't do it again next year. Plus they need to take into account all the hassle to developers who need to update their apps for a bigger screen again. Ain't gonna happen man.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Since I have an iPad for watching media, movies, and any other sort of content, I'm perfectly content with the size of the iPhone 4S screen size, the iPhone 5 size is fine, too. If it gets too big, I may in fact be disappointed. If you want a bigger screen, you'll have to get a different phone -- Apple simply isn't known for making large, bulky devices -- even if that means dealing with a smaller, simpler screen.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Then again, Jobs said they would NEVER produce a 7" tablet... and now that they are under new management, who knows?

But personally, I don't care for bigger screen, it ceases to be a phone.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Then again, Jobs said they would NEVER produce a 7" tablet... and now that they are under new management, who knows?

I was not saying they would never make a large phone. I was specifically responding to this:

Apple should be more considerate and make a few options. Let the customer pick.

That's what's never going to happen.

There will never be 3 or 4 iPhone sizes at the same time. Perhaps Apple will one day make a larger phone, but it won't be for several years until the old 3.5" screens are entirely gone from the lineup.

bkd0255

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
Arizona
I actually liked the 3.5 but the 4 inch is cool too. Ive played around with the bigger phones and if they ios i would like them. but they dont. Really its up to that specific persons preference though

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I already have an ipad Mini ......... if I want to use it as a phone (google voice, etc)

My 5 is my phone, not my tablet.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
They should keep he 4'' but also add a 4.3'' model. Would totally give me incentive to upgrade from my iPhone 4.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I'll likely buy it regardless. At the end of the day the iPhone is the smartphone that best suits my needs and I don't see that changing within the next year. I buy a new phone every year because the wife and I are on opposite upgrade cycles and she doesn't care about getting a new phone.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I wouldn't be upset if Apple released a phone with a larger screen, but I personally wouldn't want one.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Since I have an iPad for watching media, movies, and any other sort of content, I'm perfectly content with the size of the iPhone 4S screen size, the iPhone 5 size is fine, too. If it gets too big, I may in fact be disappointed. If you want a bigger screen, you'll have to get a different phone -- Apple simply isn't known for making large, bulky devices -- even if that means dealing with a smaller, simpler screen.

Remember all the people complaining about how 3.5'' was perfect and that 4'' would be too big?

Once Apple makes anything official, its like the best thing ever.

I'm sure if they made a larger size option, people will like it and understand.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Someone will always be unsatisfied. Someone will always feel like they are treated unfairly. Everyone is a critic.

In the end, we'll keep buying their iPhone regardless the screen size.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Next iPhone -> 5S (following past trends)

5S -> internal upgrades, hardware remain the same (following past trends), which means screen size will be the same. Apple took 5 years to increase the screen size ONCE, they certainly wouldn't do it again next year. Plus they need to take into account all the hassle to developers who need to update their apps for a bigger screen again. Ain't gonna happen man.

Yes there old style of doing things worked well back then, but now Android is changing the game and most people like the bigger screens, however that said, I like my 5 but since I am able to I will upgrade every year as long as the changes are enough to make a difference, otherwise I will stay with the every two year upgrade path.

If rumors are true about Apple offering the iPhone in colors next June or September, I might be compelled o upgrade.

I had an Samsung SGIII for 3 weeks, but returned it to AT&T since it the screen was a bit too large even for me with very large hands, 4.8" is a bit much, I would say for me, MAX is 4.5" but not for everyone.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Remember all the people complaining about how 3.5'' was perfect and that 4'' would be too big?

Once Apple makes anything official, its like the best thing ever.

I'm sure if they made a larger size option, people will like it and understand.

You'd be content with an iPhone that had a similar screen size to the Galaxy SIII? I know I wouldn't.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I probably won't get it because the 5 does everything I need and I can't upgrade without paying full price for it. I have LTE everywhere, now I'm satisfied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.