Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
A different way to look at the iPad 4 vs mini "debate"

Lets assume new versions of iPad and iPad mini will be out in the spring or shorty after...NOW knowing that, which would you rather purchase, the iPad 4 or the iPad mini...?

I think the physical changes will be too drastic between the iPad 4 and 5...so based on this, I returned my iPad 4 and got the mini...when the retina comes out I can trade up...but I'd also be happy with hangin on to this guy till the iPad mini 3...

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
I think everyone should just get the device that makes them happy. And should respect what choice makes someone else happy. After all..they are both awesome!

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
I think everyone should just get the device that makes them happy. And should respect what choice makes someone else happy. After all..they are both awesome!

That's the best way to look at it, and very true!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I have an iPad 3 and an iPad mini and my 3 doesn't even get used. I'm definitely sticking with the Mini. The form factor is just too good to pass up. I love the portability of it.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I wonder if the iPad Mini vs iPad debate is a girl-preference vs guy-preference debate.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
If the iPad 5 gets a new look or significant upgrade I'll get that and I'll get a mini if it gets retina.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
If you are hedging your bets on the future of the hardware, you are not buying a device based in your wants or needs, just based on which device will likely appear to be outdated the soonest.
That seems crazy to me...

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
If the iPad Mini gets Retina yes.

An iPhone, iPad Mini, and MBA makes more sense to me than if it a regular 10'' iPad.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I'll probably skip both.

The Mini isn't appealing to me, though a retina display and an updated processor would get me to recommend it to others. The iPad 3 is a little slow for me, but it does everything I want, and I am 100% satisfied with the display.

Lighter, thinner, faster would be nice, but the 3 is already fine for me, so it's not worth an upgrade. I'll probably have to get an iPad 6 just to be able to fully enjoy whatever iOS updates come our way. October 2013?

marcperrot

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
If the iPad Mini gets Retina yes.

An iPhone, iPad Mini, and MBA makes more sense to me than if it a regular 10'' iPad.

I have iPhone 5, iPad 3, and MBA 11" now, and I find I rarely use the iPad. I'm planning to switch to iPad mini in the near future, as I mainly use the iPad for reading a few other tasks.

I really don't see Retina on the mini as a big deal, because then it will get heavier, possibly a little thicker, and battery life may suffer, at least in the first couple iterations.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

Hey, here's something else you and I completely agree on (aside from the fact we *both* agree a Spring iOS device release is not going to happen<ha ha ha!>).

I think the iPad mini and MBA are perfect - I have an 11" MBA and it's so portable and light, a full sized iPad (though a wonderful device) just didn't seem like the perfect complement for it. To me the mini just seemed a much better device to pair with it. Also, I haven't yet given up my Kindle (probably at some point will upgrade to a Paperwhite), so carrying the three around (mini, MBA and Kindle) in one bag is hardly noticeable - this is how devices should be, not back straining things you "lug" around and have to choose which one (or two max) you're going to take with you each time.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Hey, here's something else you and I completely agree on (aside from the fact we *both* agree a Spring iOS device release is not going to happen<ha ha ha!>).

I think the iPad mini and MBA are perfect - I have an 11" MBA and it's so portable and light, a full sized iPad (though a wonderful device) just didn't seem like the perfect complement for it. To me the mini just seemed a much better device to pair with it. Also, I haven't yet given up my Kindle (probably at some point will upgrade to a Paperwhite), so carrying the three around (mini, MBA and Kindle) in one bag is hardly noticeable - this is how devices should be, not back straining things you "lug" around and have to choose which one (or two max) you're going to take with you each time.

back straining??? I just gotta lololololol!!! sorry, couldn't help myself....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.