Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
To me, saving around $100 isn't worth it. I wouldn't buy it from anyone other than Apple unless there's a brick and mortar store I could go to to talk to someone in case there's a problem with it. $2000 is a lot of cash to give to someone you're not sure about.

cuk

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
I wouldn't trust them.

To me, saving around $100 isn't worth it. I wouldn't buy it from anyone other than Apple unless there's a brick and mortar store I could go to to talk to someone in case there's a problem with it. $2000 is a lot of cash to give to someone you're not sure about.

Computer Upgrade King is an established online retailer with A rating on BBB, 99.9% 5800+ Top Rated eBay rating, and a friendly customer service staff accessible at 800-985-9364. We are not an untrustworthy no-name company as both of your messages depict us to be. Please be mindful of the damage you can cause to one's business by spreading inaccurate information.

On MacBook Retina MC975LL/A for which we provide the lowest price online of $1990 (MSRP is $2199), we have 26 brand new sealed in stock as of 12/29/2012. We are not Apple authorized so therefore we are not forced by Apple to overcharge. Apple forces all of its VARs to adhere to MAP which is about 4-5% below MSRP and also VARs have to submit POS reports to Apple so it is impossible finding a VAR that will sell more than 4-5% below MSRP. We are not Apple authorized because Apple has not accepted applications for VAR since 2010 when they decided to stop accepting new partners. Their loss is our gain. Since we are not authorized, that means we can sell at a 3% margin thus passing savings to the customer instead of a 12-15% margin like the authorized partners.

Our company is authorized partner with Acer, Alienware, ASUS, Fujitsu, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Samsung, and Sony. Should Apple decide to open up its VAR program again for the first time in 2+ years, then we will certainly become an Apple authorized partner then as well and then our great prices will go away because we too will have to adhere to MAP and MSP rules that Apple enforces. Just because you can't find us on Apple's locator does not mean we are not a trustworthy company. If you do even a slight amount of google research, you will find that we are very trustworthy. Our company has almost 20 employees and grosses more than $1M each month. We are a real company that can be trusted. Please be mindful of company reputations when you post advice regarding their trustworthiness.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Computer Upgrade King is an established online retailer with A rating on BBB, 99.9% 5800+ Top Rated eBay rating,

Should Apple decide to open up its VAR program again for the first time in 2+ years, then we will certainly become an Apple authorized partner then as well and then our great prices will go away because we too will have to adhere to MAP and MSP rules that Apple enforces. .

BBB ratings are totally worthless - anyone can buy an "A" rating from the BBB by paying them money. In the past a BBB rating was an important factor, but now no smart person pays much attention to a "good" rating from the BBB.

And a newbie whose first post is to praise a company....??? not the most trustworthy.

So..a non-Apple authorized seller....where would that leave you for warranty? Would not the "purchase date" be the date the reseller purchased it from Apple? So your warranty could be a lot less than the 1 year standard warranty.

bxbomb1983

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Orlando, FL
They have a 99.9% feedback rating on eBay which can't be bought, also you can pay with Paypal. They seem like a legit company you can trust. :apple:

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Try B&H Photo and Video. No tax (at least in the US) and cheaper prices and also free shipping. I got a MBA 2012 for $200 less than retail and I also didn't pay tax or shipping.

cuk

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
BBB ratings are totally worthless - anyone can buy an "A" rating from the BBB by paying them money. In the past a BBB rating was an important factor, but now no smart person pays much attention to a "good" rating from the BBB.

And a newbie whose first post is to praise a company....??? not the most trustworthy.

So..a non-Apple authorized seller....where would that leave you for warranty? Would not the "purchase date" be the date the reseller purchased it from Apple? So your warranty could be a lot less than the 1 year standard warranty.

You are completely correct regarding warranty not being the full 1 year. One of my senior customer service guys worked 7 years at Guitar Center a national retail chain and Apple VAR and he told me that warranty period began as soon as the distributor or Apple shipped the order to Guitar Center so if the laptop was in their stock several months then the customer would not have full 1 year warranty. I'm sure if you called Guitar Center they would tell you the same. Only very large national retailers such as MacMall and Best Buy can provide full 1 year warranty. They submit POS report to Apple and Apple then begins the warranty period from the dates in the POS report. To summarize, if an Apple VAR such as Guitar Center orders 50 units from Tech Data distributor or Apple then the warranty begins from when it was sold by Tech Data. As far as the customized upgrades we do are concerned, if you take the computer in for repair for an issue not related to the RAM or hard drive we installed then you will have no issue getting warranty repair but if you have an issue with one of these components you installed or if your issue appears to be related, then we very strongly hope and want you to contact our customer service department and take advantage of the 3 year part replacement warranty we provide on all upgraded component installations we provide on the computers we sell.

We had an A- BBB rating before we joined and it wasn't until about 3-4 months after we joined and paid our dues our rating increased to an A. We increased to an A as soon as our company became 4 years old. Our rating is high because we've had virtually no complaints and as a business that does almost $1.5M per month currently, almost no complaints is unheard of. We are struggling some with QA at the moment as we have tripled our business in the last 6 months and rapid growth certainly is difficult to manage. We are creating a separate QA department now instead of having Technicians perform the QA and we think this will help. We are also looking at new facilities in the 8,000 to 12,000 sq ft size because we are currently packed inside our 2300 sq ft office and we are having great difficulty finding seating for new hires and space for inventory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.