Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leonk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
My ATV 2 is wired directly into my router - Asus RT-N56U. Even when I was using it with WRT-54GL and Another Asus G router running tomato firmware, it always had the same problem. Now it's even gotten worst.

Here are the issues:

1) It never connects to the network when it comes back from sleep. I go into settings and reboot and it sees the network fine afterwards.

2) Netflix plays for about 5 mins and stops. I restart the movie, plays for another 5 minutes, and stops again.

I tried to give it a static IP, and still no go. When I play netflix on my MBA 13", it plays fine to the end. I have a 28 Mb/s connection at home, and am running the latest ATV firmware.

I'm ready to throw this darn thing out! Anyone got any suggestions? Defective unit? Something else I can try out? PLEASE HELP!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I have never ran across any issues with my ATV 3 being hard wired. It may be crapping out. What happens if you try Wi-Fi?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have two 3's...One is hardwired simply because it happens to be right next to my TC which handles all my wifi....The second unit in the bedrom is wifi. Both work perfectly. You could try re-booting your router and see if that helps...Often re-newng the lease can solve a lot of issues.

Also, as suggested above, try it over wifi...If the issue persists, I's say it was possibly partially corrupt OS on the unit. Restoring it via micro USB cable might help too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.