Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pavel08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Hello. In summer I bought the new MBA (2.0 GHz with turbo up to 3.1 i7, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB).

At the beginning I could never hear the fans spinning. It was completely silent. Its still is, unless i start watching some videos online. Then its just a nightmare. The fans are going crazy and its really noisy. Its been like that for a couple of months already. Im so tired of it.

For example the week after i got my MBA i watched like 30 episodes of Big Bang Theory online and I never heard the fans. But now, if I go to the same website and start watching them again, the fans gets really noisy only after 20 minutes.

I checked activity monitor for 1080p video on youtube. Whenever I view a video in 1080p the Flash Player is always staying at around 107% of CPU. If i pause the video, the cpu is back to normal. Ive attached some screenshots.
What is the problem? How can I fix it? Im so tired of that noise. I would really appreciate if somebody would help me.

Attachments

• 1080p.png
    1080p.png
    831.2 KB · Views: 217
  • Loading 1080p.png
    Loading 1080p.png
    687.4 KB · Views: 161

Pavel08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
That's normal. Nothing to fix.

Are you kidding me? 107% CPU while watching a video is normal? Then why I never had these issues for the first two months after i bought my MBA?

Even my old crapy windows laptop from 2006 had much less noise while watching 1080p video. Is MBA really that bad?

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
i just got a new macbook air replacement and i'm noticing it doesn't run dead quite when idle like the other airs i tried, kinda disappointing

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
you could try installing the latest flash player edition from adobe. alternatively, go for the html5 trial on youtube. see if that makes a difference.

do you have smcfancontrol installed? could also help in ensuring your mac doesn't get too warm.

UberMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2005
England
Yes, it's normal. Flash is rubbish.

If you're old windows Laptop can even attempt to play 1080p flash video I'm impressed.

Just opt into the YouTube HTML5 view and you'll be fine.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Are you kidding me? 107% CPU while watching a video is normal? Then why I never had these issues for the first two months after i bought my MBA?

Even my old crapy windows laptop from 2006 had much less noise while watching 1080p video. Is MBA really that bad?

Yes it is normal for flash to use alot of cpu cycles. Theres a reason Apple no long pre installs it. It also leads to horrible battery performance.

Install the ClicktoPlugin for safari and that will disable most flash things until you click on them which should give you the rated battery life. It will also work seamlessly with youtube to try and play most videos in HTML5 if the native youtube player isn't in HTML5 for that video.

I highly doubt that your 2006 laptop can play 1080p video effortlessly as hardware decoders for videos werent that popular yet :D

Lastly, your fan maybe reacting more to the increased temps because of dust build up. This would explain why the fans could cool the computer down with less speed when you first got it but now it needs to run faster to keep it the same temps due to dust building up.

One thing you can try is to uninstall flash then reinstall the newest version and install Clicktoplugin for Safari. This should give you the best battery life and performance.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Just ran a test for you to show you the different between using flash and HTML5. The native HTML5 player for youtube can be found here http://www.youtube.com/html5

I still highly suggest that you install clicktoplugin so that anything you may come across can be played in HTML5 even if the website doesn't have a setting for it.

First one is flash playing a 1080p video and the 2nd is HTML5 playing the same 1080 video.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 3.06.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 3.06.55 PM.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 3.08.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 3.08.02 PM.png
    28 KB · Views: 129

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Is it really normal?

Yeah - Flash runs really rubbishy on OSX. It's much better on Windows.

You may have heard the word 'Flash' used in the same sentence as 'poor battery life' or 'overheating' when Macs are being discussed. This is because Flash doesn't play nice with OSX, hogging resources and therefore slowing down the computer and causing it to heat up. This was not so much of a problem with desktops, which Flash was designed for, as desktops have good cooling systems and no power consumption issues. Laptops however are another story. They are very small and compact, so don't deal with excessive heat well, and run off batteries, making power consumption critical. For these reasons it is a good idea to avoid Flash Content on your Mac when possible. For more information on how to avoid Flash Content check out this article.

Pavel08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Thank you very much for your response. Im sorry the old laptop is from 2008, but still its "fat and ugly". I did install ClickToPlugin and I can feel the difference. Atleast youtube is running smoothly now. Ive noticed there were a lot of options in the ClickToPlugin menu. Do I need to do anything more besides the standard options to get a better performance? Are there any drawbacks using ClickToPlugin(like will quality be worse if using HTML5)?

Also is there any way to clean the fans from dust?

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your response. Im sorry the old laptop is from 2008, but still its "fat and ugly". I did install ClickToPlugin and I can feel the difference. Atleast youtube is running smoothly now. Ive noticed there were a lot of options in the ClickToPlugin menu. Do I need to do anything more besides the standard options to get a better performance? Are there any drawbacks using ClickToPlugin(like will quality be worse if using HTML5)?

Also is there any way to clean the fans from dust?

If you read the clicktoplugin page it has some explanations on what the other settings do and it would be up to you to choose which ones to enable. Otherwise it works fine out of the box if you do not want to tinker with it. I don't think there are any drawbacks to it since it uses the source file and plays it with Safari's built in quicktime player (you can see this in action by looking at the play button and controls on a video and they will be black and match the Quicktime program.) By default it will try to play any youtube video at 1080p if it can so if you notice your videos loading slowly you can change that in the settings. Another way to change it is to hover your cursor over the top left area of the video when it is using the html5 player and you can select the video quality there.

For cleaning the fan you can use any canned compressed air that you can get anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.