Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
I'm reading about the oil that the microfiber of the Smart Cover absorbs and am now wondering how do we wash the microfiber of the cover? Any ideas? This is in particular for the polyurethane cover which I'll be getting.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I'm reading about the oil that the microfiber of the Smart Cover absorbs and am now wondering how do we wash the microfiber of the cover? Any ideas? This is in particular for the polyurethane cover which I'll be getting.

There are countless ways but this works fine - go get some of this stuff from an auto parts store. It is a multi-surface foaming cleaner, safe for both sides:

3d0df163.jpg

spray it on and let it set for 10-15 secs
ebece4e8.jpg

wipe off with towel or microfiber rag. Quick dry with hair dryer on low or air dry.

Done - don't over think this...now go do your car interior...LOL

BTW, this works extremely well for the original ipad1 case too.

Last edited by a moderator:

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
Um, wipe it off properly? Not exactly rocket science.

No, not rocket science but anything that is comes out in a semi-wet state like that foam is going to leave behind residue if it's not washed away with water. Of course, maybe that residue doesn't matter because it's not detectable by human eye but there will be residue. I'm thinking of the pet cleaner I have at home that squirts out foamy. There's still residue left behind but it leaves the carpet looking clean and untouched but it only "looks" like that.

deftdrummer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
San Diego
I am going to try this method but not before I use plain old water and a clean rag first. I am going to wet the rag with warm water and see where it goes from there.

When it comes down to having a smart cover with lint and oils and other splotchy stuff I'd rather risk residue to clean it than carrying around a rad-tad looking machine that shows A) I'm hard on my equipment and B) that I don't care about how it looks.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
I used sneaker repellent on mine when I first got it. It makes cleaning a lot easier. You can use the the same stuff they use on baseball hats.

terroh8er

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
The preferred way to clean hats is in the dishwasher. Is there a reason why this isn't a good idea?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
The preferred way to clean hats is in the dishwasher. Is there a reason why this isn't a good idea?

I would not do it long term because after several times the heat in the DW could warp/seperate the poly. Poly is impervious to most cleaners so use the stuff I use above, windex, 409, whatever.... wipe it down and get on with your life. Stay away from Mr clean magic erasers - they are equiv of 3600 wet/dry sandpaper and will abraid the surface.

Spoon579

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
What is the glue?

Hi guys,
My main concern is the glue. Microfiber and polyeurethane are both pretty resilient, but will a water based, or for that matter alcohol based, product effect the glue keeping the two together? I would hate to have 2 very clean, but separated, pieces of cover on my hands.

CavalierCharge

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
Windex Works

After reading the posts, I decided to try good ol' Windex. I only cleaned the outside, but it came clean and looks great. Good luck!

tantejoan1

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2009
Easy Peasey

My local CVS sells their own brand of antibacterial washcloths, $2.49 for 40. Works fine.:)

unkn0wnsoldier

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
Fountain, Co
I would not do it long term because after several times the heat in the DW could warp/seperate the poly. Poly is impervious to most cleaners so use the stuff I use above, windex, 409, whatever.... wipe it down and get on with your life. Stay away from Mr clean magic erasers - they are equiv of 3600 wet/dry sandpaper and will abraid the surface.

I've been using the dishwasher method since my last post (about 4 times now) and the edges of the cover are beginning to separate. So maybe my method is not the best for longevity, but it comes out really clean. I can take a pic of its current state if anyone is interested.

ChezWam

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
I have the pink polyurethane cover, it started to look dingy pretty quickly so I used oil free eye makeup remover and wiped it off with a rag that was damp with part water, part rubbing alcohol. It cleaned the case really nicely without any problems. I haven't needed to clean the other side as of yet.

innovationcreat

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
Winded worked, simple, easy

Windex was approach I took for the orange smart cover. It was easily available and simple to try. I sprayed it on the smartcover and used paper towel to apply all over/dry it out.

After reading the posts, I decided to try good ol' Windex. I only cleaned the outside, but it came clean and looks great. Good luck!

jacob11

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
Just use some washing up liquid, pour a little bit onto a sponge, wet the sponge until foamy bubble form and try to wipe it clean then dry with hairdryer.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
this is a very ridiculous thread - no one ever cleaned anything before?

I can only assume you all had very dirty trapper keepers in high school...

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007

Right? Blows my mind that someone would complicate this by doing something goofy like throwing a smart cover in the dish washer.

It's a freaking piece of plastic, wipe it off with a wet rag and get on with your life. If it gets nasty enough you need to wash it that bad: start washing your hands more, throw it away, and get a new one.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Black leather smart cover owner here. I use unscented baby wipes on both sides then let dry - leaves no residue, seems to clean off all oils - no dirt/grease lines on glass after cleaning.

macbarbie13

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Right? Blows my mind that someone would complicate this by doing something goofy like throwing a smart cover in the dish washer.

It's a freaking piece of plastic, wipe it off with a wet rag and get on with your life. If it gets nasty enough you need to wash it that bad: start washing your hands more, throw it away, and get a new one.

Get off this website if ur gonna critisize! gosh! GET A LIFE!! :p:p

----------

if this is a stupid thread then why are you on it???? wow.... think a little. ur probably a dumb little kid that has nothing else to do with your life :p

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Did you just resurrect a pointless year old thread and then tell others to get a life? Here's hoping others can see the irony in that, even though I'm sure it's lost on you...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.