Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
The screens are about as bright as one another. The colors however are more vibrant, and vivid on the S3. The user experience however isn't particularly better on the N4 over the S3, but the lack of LTE is what made the difference for me.

I have both ATM, I totally agree with the above. We don't have LTE here so I am having real trouble deciding between the two, it would be nice to keep both but I can't afford it.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I have both ATM, I totally agree with the above. We don't have LTE here so I am having real trouble deciding between the two, it would be nice to keep both but I can't afford it.

I think id keep the GS3. I opted not to get the N4 and sticking with my GS3 after reading stuff about it in here. You never know down the road but I'm also not thrilled with the glass back. If the price drops, then maybe.
And us I'm using Tapatalk. Now I know why people use it.. Lol

Last edited:

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

Agreed, I've got crazy fast LTE, and the decision is a rough one. I still can't decide. But I'm thinking I'll be selling the N4 now.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Agreed, I've got crazy fast LTE, and the decision is a rough one. I still can't decide. But I'm thinking I'll be selling the N4 now.

For me the decision to sell the S3 wasn't so hard. The Nexus 4 was newer and better in most ways. That wasn't what made the decision to sell the S3 easy though, it was the fact that the Nexus 4 will be the Nexus phone for the next year (or until the next one comes out whenever that may be). I used the money to get an HTC 8X to try out WP8 so it wasn't exactly financially motivated :p

----------

My Ionic Slim Flex case just arrived and I really like the way it feels and it fits the phone perfectly. No issues with the buttons or anything.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I now have this mod thanks to faux's kernel. Swipe the screen to wake up the phone and to lock it. You can lock it with the GMD gesture control app but i don't know of any apps that let you wake up the phone using the screen. No words to describe how cool it is. Ill have to test it for a few days to see if there's a significant battery drain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jri2BMQHHrs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit: I'm actually not sure who's to credit for the sweep2wake feature, it might be show-p1984's work but these devs are always sharing so its hard to keep track.

Video on Nexus 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmxlnikTiQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Have to say this phone is the best Android phone I've owned. I ended up selling it as I still prefer iOS but I'd recommend a Nexus product over Samsung/HTC any day, especially if it's made by LG. I've never liked the quality of Samsung phones and it's great to see an Android phone with such a great premium build for such a good price.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Have to say this phone is the best Android phone I've owned. I ended up selling it as I still prefer iOS but I'd recommend a Nexus product over Samsung/HTC any day, especially if it's made by LG. I've never liked the quality of Samsung phones and it's great to see an Android phone with such a great premium build for such a good price.

I agree about the look and feel of the phone. It feels better than any phone I have ever held.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
Tempted to swap trade my iPhone 5 for a Nexus 4 as I've got a iPad mini and fancy a change. Is the battery life really as bad as some people are saying?

Bad idea?

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Tempted to swap trade my iPhone 5 for a Nexus 4 as I've got a iPad mini and fancy a change. Is the battery life really as bad as some people are saying?

Bad idea?

I haven't had any problems with the battery on my Nexus 4, I wouldn't swap it back for the iPhone 5 that I got rid of.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
I haven't had any problems with the battery on my Nexus 4, I wouldn't swap it back for the iPhone 5 that I got rid of.

hmm.. food for thought.

This time tomorrow I may be contributing to this thread as an owner.

The trade in value of my iP5 is about £30 more than the Nexus will cost, so it's not a very cost effective upgrade, but then I've never let that stop me in the past :)

Part of me says wait til they come back in stock again, but the other says "mm new toys!"

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I received my Nexus 4 a couple of weeks ago. I charged it up and had a play with it, and despite how nice it was, I still preferred my Galaxy S3, so sold it for what I paid.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Does that have any affect on what you keep now? I sold the S3 because I knew I'll be getting the S4 and I'm going to keep the Nexus 4 till the next Nexus comes out. I know you can't do that because you can only afford one right now.

Probably not, I must admit that I thought it would be quite easy, I tried the S3 against an iPhone 4S and 5 and kept the one that I enjoyed the most, the S3 was the one on that occasion, trouble is that I enjoy both the Nexus and S3 about the same. Although I say that I cant afford both, the bailiffs aren't at the door for a while, so I still have some time left.:) Great problem having though.:D

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Probably not, I must admit that I thought it would be quite easy, I tried the S3 against an iPhone 4S and 5 and kept the one that I enjoyed the most, the S3 was the one on that occasion, trouble is that I enjoy both the Nexus and S3 about the same. Although I say that I cant afford both, the bailiffs aren't at the door for a while, so I still have some time left.:) Great problem having though.:D

I was so relieved when I got rid of the S3! Not because I needed the money but because it was very hard picking between it and the Nexus 4. I kept going back and forth between them trying to decide which I want to use as my phone and I didn't like that.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I was so relieved when I got rid of the S3! Not because I needed the money but because it was very hard picking between it and the Nexus 4. I kept going back and forth between them trying to decide which I want to use as my phone and I didn't like that.

I can see that. Had i got a N4 id probably have the same problem but since i have had the N7, i have come to appreciate the things added from Touchwiz though i dont use the launcher.
My plan was to get a N4, keep it and sell the GS3 when the GS4 release date was announced so not to lose too much value and save that towards the GS4...provided the overall size of the device didnt get bigger.

My GS3 runs very well on JB 4.1.1 and the camera is better than the N4 from reading these comments here and reading the comments, ive decided not to get the N4 unless it drops in price down the road....and even then i may wait to see what the next Nexus phone brings. If it didnt have the glass back id be more inclined to get one even with the bugs ive read here.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Dont know if this has been mentioned before but to reveal developer options that have been hidden on 4.2.

Settings>About Phone>Scroll down to build number and tap on it seven times (It will count you down from 4) It will congratulate you in getting the developer options, press the back button and you will see the developer options just above "about phone"

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Every time I turn my Nexus 4 on, I get a text saying my SIM card number and my phone number. No matter what, every time I boot my phone up, it vibrates with this text message. Anybody know why? Anyone know how to fix it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.