Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jatgfc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I purchased a Belkin Stereo Cable for iPhone from Amazon. When I plug it into my head unit in my car (Red White) and I turn the AUX on it has such a low volume you cant even hear it. I have an Iphone 4S. Has anyone had this issue? You help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Assuming you already turned the iphone's vol to the max... some stereos have individual gain settings for each input, intended to equalize different input vol differences, you will have to consult your manual to see if your head has this feature and how to configure.

Other than that, older heads were not designed to accept portable low-level input and ur only salvation would be a cable with an in-line amplifier (powered).

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I connect mine through a headphone jack and have to have the volume all the way up on the phone, and much higher than I normally would on the car stereo. The only issue with this, is when you go to put your headphones in and you forgot to turn it down first. Ouch!

KT88

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Mrbobb is right. If your stereo can not change the gain setting on the AUX input you may need some type of preamp (in-line amp). Most are really headphone amplifiers and need batteries or plug into the car 12V power. Google Sound Shocker, portable headphone amp, FiiO, Boostaroo, etc. You'll find lots more info. The cool part about Sound Shocker is that it needs no batteries or external power. It's not my review, but check out..... Sound Shocker

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
You need to turn the volume up to approximate line level.

Better yet, get line out from the dock/lightning connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.