Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SupadudeX

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
Personally, I want a bigger screen. The iPhone is great, but if they don't bring out a larger screen soon I'll be planning a switch.

marcperrot

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
I really hope they don't put a bigger screen on the next iPhone. I still occasionally feel like the screen on the 5 is too big. However, I can see them going bigger simply to follow the trend and not get **** on by tech reporters who buy into the Android spin on big screens.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I really hope they don't put a bigger screen on the next iPhone. I still occasionally feel like the screen on the 5 is too big. However, I can see them going bigger simply to follow the trend and not get **** on by tech reporters who buy into the Android spin on big screens.

I want a 4.3 inch screen with 1080p and a curved display... that ladies and gentleman is the iphone6

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I actually downgraded screen sizes from a larger Android phone, and there's no way I'd go for a bigger size iPhone, for me, thin and light are the criteria I'm after, the screen is fine.
No matter what happens, I'm contractually obligated to stick with the 5 for another 2 years now, so the answer would be "no", anyway.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
or how about this for a novel idea....give people a choice.

Just like people can choose between the Mini and the full size iPad, I think people would like to choose between the current sized iPhone and something a bit bigger.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I know some people prefer the current size, 3.5 or 4. But both of these are too small especially after playing the samsung or HTC phones.

Those big phones just look nice. I am so tempted to buy those phones and just give up my iPhone.

Apple should be more considerate and make a few options. Let the customer pick.

I have friends who feels the same too.

Go buy a bigger phone and be happy. There's plenty of people who are happy with their 4" screen on their iPhone 5.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Like RIM users you will learn to adapt, ironically you don't have a choice. LOL

A lot of my family & friends who were BlackBerry users finally had it. As much as they love BBM & the Keyboard if was time for a change.

The iPad mini a great example, the numbers are impressive and I really believe they could've doubled or even tripled it if they had released it with Retina.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
As someone with a Note 2, I'd rather Apple built two phones - the 4" and a larger model for those that want the larger one. If you want more storage, that should be handled with BTO options, not more shelf space.

The moral of the story is that not everyone has the same priorities when they get a phone. I love my Note 2's huge screen because it makes for a great device to read/play games/watch videos on. However, it is a bit large - and I have small hands! Using it one handed is nearly impossible except for tasks where I have sorta set things up for it.

The thing is, I don't particularly care about 1 handed phone use anyway. Maybe someone else does, and I can totally respect that just fine. :) That's why there should be at least 2 size options! Even Apple does this with laptops!

Finally, I just wanted to add my favorite thing about the size: Using swiftkey 3 makes it incredibly easy to type on the note 2 while in portrait/vertical mode. My fingers are nowhere near fat, but it's just sooo comfortable/easy to use that way. Using the keyboard in landscape is a really terrible idea, though. XD

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I think if we do see a noticeably bigger iPhone at some point, it won't be at the expense of the 4" size. I think you'd see two sizes offered in almost identical specs, 4" and one in between 4.5" and 5". Anything under 4.5" would probably retain the one size only strategy.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
The reason why I would want a bigger screen is because my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. However, I wouldn't switch to a different phone because of screen size... although I would consider switching for other personal reasons. I like the actual size of the iPhone 4/4s (not talking about screen only)... but I don't mind the size difference of the iPhone 5. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the home button and used the side bezel to increase the screen size... but retain the current size of the iPhone 5 itself.

didgeridoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Maybe a bump to 720x1280 ~4.25". No bigger until the size of the human hand changes. Two sizes might be a pain for developers.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Next iPhone -> 5S (following past trends)

5S -> internal upgrades, hardware remain the same (following past trends), which means screen size will be the same. Apple took 5 years to increase the screen size ONCE, they certainly wouldn't do it again next year. Plus they need to take into account all the hassle to developers who need to update their apps for a bigger screen again. Ain't gonna happen man.

Having a larger screen doesn't require changing the resolution. And don't talk about ppi. The retina iPad has lower ppi.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
I jumped ship to the S3 when the iP5 went to the weird tall skinny form factor. I don't see the 5S or whatever getting a larger screen so i'll skip that also. If the 6 has the screen I want then i'll be back. If not, I'll probably skip that also.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Remember all the people complaining about how 3.5'' was perfect and that 4'' would be too big?

I think people was thinking about the physical size increase. With the iPhone 5, the width stay the same, the length increases a bit, but thickness and weight are both reduced. In my daily use the iPhone 5 feels smaller and lighter overall with the benefit of a 4 inch screen. If there is a magical way to increase the screen size without increasing the physical size, most people would not complaint, and that's the case with the iPhone 5 (well, not quite magical, but same end result).

I am happy with the current size. Portability is very important to me. The difference between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 is very noticeable to me. I find the iP5 a lot more pocketable due to its lighter weight and thinner profile. The added length doesn't make a difference to me. A wider phone would not fit as well in my pocket and hand. Sure, a slight increase in size would be less noticeable. But to me a small size increase defeats the purpose: to make a difference, the increase has to be quite significant, say to 4.8".

kyussmondo

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
The screen is a perfect size for me. I can't see the need for it to be any bigger. If I want to watch movies or browse the web for long periods then I will use my iPad or MacBook Pro. Not only that, I have found myself using voice a lot more to dictate shopping lists, setting reminders, calendar appointments etc. It is surprisingly quick and I have found Siri to be very accurate and I am far from having a radio voice.

Plus I find a lot of people complain about the auto-correction feature, but I have found if you just type and learn to trust it then more often than not it will work as expected. People who try to type perfectly and go back all the time to correct mistakes without trusting auto-correct are the people who want 5 inch screens.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm thrilled to find my iPad mini a perfect replacement for the iPhone 5 I just sold. iPhones will never have a decent sized display for smartphone usage. Instead I bought a contract free Tracfone designed for calling & texting. Small & sleek, I'm now saving loads of money.

A friends been using this combo & inspired me to do the same. It's a very freeing feeling. With hotspots everywhere its easy to stay connected and highlights the strengths & beauty of Apples iPad mini.

doasis23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
I have to admit when i see a SGIII I have some screen envy. Im planning on keeping my 5 for two yrs so I wont be upgrading next yr but I would seriously consider switching when my contract is up if the phone isnt bigger. However I think the biggest determining factor for me will be ios8. I've had the 3g,4,&5 and have loved them all but android is making bigger leaps IMO in regards to the software. Its anyones guess where both platforms will be in 2 yrs but I think we all will benefit form the advancements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.