Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you make New Year Resolutions

• Yes

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 23 51.1%

• Total voters

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I made one New Year's resolution 11 years ago that I've kept, and will continue to keep for the rest of my life. I stopped using cocaine, or any other drug for that matter.

Very well done, good for you, that's very very impressive and is an achievement that you can be - and ought to be - rightly proud of. Happy New Year to you and the very best of luck.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I'm already doing things that I want to do, but I did make it a goal to help my friends stop smoking tobacco by summer 2013.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I never have but this year I am. They're a bit personal but they're mostly lifestyle changes to try to be happier in life.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I don't know why people have to wait for the new year to make any resolutions. If I want to lose weight I start going to the gym. Long term goals are usually the most difficult to accomplish, so plan and execute as you go.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Anything I might have read?

Well, I'm not sure! The two books I had out this year were Empire State and Seven Wonders, both out from Angry Robot. I've got two more from Angry Robot coming next year (The Age Atomic and Hang Wire), and my first book for Tor is coming in winter 2014.

Info here!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well, I'm not sure! The two books I had out this year were Empire State and Seven Wonders, both out from Angry Robot. I've got two more from Angry Robot coming next year (The Age Atomic and Hang Wire), and my first book for Tor is coming in winter 2014.

Info here!

Looks interesting. When I read fiction it's always Sc-Fi (mostly SW novels). Maybe another of my NYR should be to read more!

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Looks interesting. When I read fiction it's always Sc-Fi (mostly SW novels). Maybe another of my NYR should be to read more!

Hehheh. Actually, Angry Robot are having a 25% off sale on ebooks from their own online store - DRM-free epubs... so now would be a good time to pick them up, if you read ebooks :cool:

Also available in paperback from all the usual places, of course!

----------

I don't know why people have to wait for the new year to make any resolutions.
It's purely psychological, but there's nothing wrong with that, so long as it isn't an excuse to keep putting stuff off. January 1st represents a significant change of date, so if you want to make a significant change/start a significant project, then it's a nice baseline. I do the same on a smaller scale on the 1st of the month - what do I need to do this month, what do I want to achieve this month.

If it works for you, and is enough motivation to actually make those changes/do those things, then that's terrific. The only problem is when it becomes a procrastination habit - I'll start this tomorrow, on Monday, next month, etc, etc.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Very well done, good for you, that's very very impressive and is an achievement that you can be - and ought to be - rightly proud of. Happy New Year to you and the very best of luck.

Thanks my friend, I really appreciate it. It wasn't easy for me to stop because I've been snorting coke on and off since the 70's. So in 2001 when I was 49 years old, I said enough is enough. I stopped cold turkey New Years Eve and never looked back. I feel a 100 times better at 60 than I did at 49.
Life is good :)

I wan't to wish you a Very Happy New Year as well.

Glenn

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
That's why I bought a cross trainer instead. Plus if I've just got half an hour I can still exercise.

I dusted off the exercise bike 4 months ago instead of getting a gym membership, 45lbs lighter and no money spent...

My resolution is to keep it up, aiming to lose another 30lbs.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
- Pay my truck off, I never had a paid off vehicle so it's going to feel nice.
- Set a certain mileage goal for running by the end of 2013. I hate cardio.
- Start doing a want/need list for things, I tend to buy what I want to much.

I can't think of anymore. I'll read everyones and maybe add it to my list.

Is there an app for this? :D

Adding:

- Get my wife a gym membership (Maybe), so we can be connect better.
- Keep learning how to cook. I started cooking by myself last week, made the wife breakfast 3 times and dinner once. I burnt pancakes, haha.
- Start doing the manly things, like taking care of the wifes car and not hodling her responsible for not getting an oil change or car washed.

Last edited:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Keep studying.
Learn more graphics software.
At least one drawing a day, digital or traditional but try for more trad drawings this coming year.
Earn more money.
Get cataract surgery for my little Cairn, she suddenly went blind a few months ago.
Illustrate a couple of my own books in 2013, or get started anyway.
Jettison a ton of stuff, just get rid of all the unnecessary, smothery, stuff for more space, more light, more serenity.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I had to google Hank Moody, so I don't think so.

I would recommend you watch that show. Since you Googled it, I'm sure you know what its about, but I think it's an awesome show!

Is that what a novelist life is like? Sex, Drugs, Partying, and chaos in personal life? :rolleyes: If so, sign me up! :D

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Do you make New Year Resolutions and if so what are they for 2013?

I'm going to try and loose some weight and use my cross trainer a little more often!
Also spend less at the apple store!

Losing weight is easy enough - just eat healthy and do some exercise. Ride a bike perhaps? The weight will go quickly. :) Good luck with it.

My resolution is to keep up the bike-riding, get faster and be injury free, which if today is any indication, is not going to go well.

I've done about 280km on the bike this week - which is a lot for me, and over 700km for the month - but it's caught up with me. Right calf muscle is playing up again. I'll rest up - and see how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.