Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Was thinking about just biting the bullet and ordering right now. I want the base 27" with one upgrade, the 1TB Fusion Drive.

I'm going to use the EDU discount and I have a $100 gift card.

Two questions... if I order it right now, do we have a realistic estimate of when it'd actually ship? It says January, which is annoying as hell, because that could be January 1, or January 30... What company in this day has such a weak grasp of their own production that their window they give is a 30 day window. Nuts.

Also, if I use the $100 gift card, and they end up getting them in stores and I cancel the online CTO order (prior to shipment obviously), so they refund the $100 back to the gift card, or how does that work?

Thanks, sorry if this is a somewhat babbling post.

MacDouble

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
I think if you order now you'll get it January 31th.
Everytime Apple said a date it was the last day of the month.

I ordered November 30th which was the first day and my delivery is 3rd - 9th January.... So almost 6 weeks. So I think the end of the month is realistic.

mlynchmob16

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2010
Dublin, OH
You might as well order now if you want the fusion drive. I don't think apple stores get stock for BTO models. The only way to get them is to order them online.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I think if you order now you'll get January 31th.
Everytime Apple said a date it was the last day of the month.

I ordered November 30th which was the first day and my delivery is 3rd - 9th January.... So almost 6 weeks. So I think the end of the month is realistic.

Wow, that's insane... I just can't imagine there's such a delay on these orders. I feel bad for those who ordered on day 1, and still haven't gotten them. To me, a 30+ day wait on a computer is unacceptable. Apple is not selling these quick enough to warrant such delay.

It's sad, this is a prime example of how Apple is losing it's handle on their own product manufacturing. The iPad Mini was the first time I experienced Apple giving a date then falling short of commitment.

Oh well, I guess I'll bite the bullet and go for it, and if the stores get it sooner, then I'll cancel if it hasn't shipped, and grab one in store.

----------

You might as well order now if you want the fusion drive. I don't think apple stores get stock for BTO models. The only way to get them is to order them online.

The stores are seeing them with Fusion... many many people have posted already that they've been able to pick up fusion drives in store. My only fear is that since I want the BASE 27" with fusion, it may not be realistic to think they'll carry THAT one in the store. I'm reading around and it seems the most common is the base model, and the "ultimate" ... so hopefully my order will ship quickly.

mlynchmob16

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2010
Dublin, OH
The stores are seeing them with Fusion... many many people have posted already that they've been able to pick up fusion drives in store. My only fear is that since I want the BASE 27" with fusion, it may not be realistic to think they'll carry THAT one in the store. I'm reading around and it seems the most common is the base model, and the "ultimate" ... so hopefully my order will ship quickly.

O my fault then. When I visited an apple store near me asking about minis with fusions they said I would have to order online if I wanted it. Maybe they just meant they didn't have any in or coming that they know of.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
O my fault then. When I visited an apple store near me asking about minis with fusions they said I would have to order online if I wanted it. Maybe they just meant they didn't have any in or coming that they know of.

Yeah, that's always the standard response, because it's not all stores that get the different configs. All stores get the base configs, then select stores get select variances of the configurations.

When I bought my Macbook Air it was the same way, every store got the 2 base models and then some got the base with extra RAM and some got the "ultimate" loaded model... which I was able to pick up in the stores.

Just wish Apple went back to the consistency they are known for.

fossen

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010

What I was told yesterday at the Apple store was that they will get base, or the "ultimate". That they won't be seeing a base with fusion in stock at any time that they know of.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
What I was told yesterday at the Apple store was that they will get base, or the "ultimate". That they won't be seeing a base with fusion in stock at any time that they know of.

That does make sense. Oh well, so be it, I can wait. My 2010 is just such a beast, lol... I NEED my USB 3 lol

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I ordered another one on 12/16 and it is still processing. eta just "January"

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Only one with fusion at stores is 3.4 680 1tb...no 3tb so I had to order. ;(

From the retail perspective that makes complete sense... tho from a profitability standpoint, their fusion drive is a $250 upsell that is their primary driver for the 2012 model (aside from form factor). The drive value is about $100-130 retail (for the momentus hybrid)... so it's pure profit for them.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011

They don't usually know of much before they open the box and see them though, hehe

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Apple made it clear on October 23rd that initial production supplies of the 27" models would be limited.

The order vs delivery pipeline has provided evidence that Tim Cook speaks the truth.

They made it clear how? By saying "Available online and in stores in November" and then delaying until December and then delaying again until January?

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
They made it clear how? By saying "Available online and in stores in November" and then delaying until December and then delaying again until January?
Technically speaking, it was available imiditaly at the end of January for the 21.5 model, and to order or the 27.
The lucky ones who managed to click fast and make some order got the computer by the middle of December so in that sense apple was ok.
But apparently they made few dozens of those, so the rest of the world is waiting and waiting!!!

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Technically speaking, it was available imiditaly at the end of January for the 21.5 model, and to order or the 27.
The lucky ones who managed to click fast and make some order got the computer by the middle of December so in that sense apple was ok.
But apparently they made few dozens of those, so the rest of the world is waiting and waiting!!!

No, they said the 21" would be available "In two weeks" which I'm not sure if it was or was not, because I wasn't interested in that product, hehe.

They clearly said the 27" would be available in December, which it's not, and we're now into January... and I'm not aware of anyone who knows of any stores where they're readily available for purchase at this time. Do you?

Shadow2k

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Order now and you might receive it before China celebrates the new year in February (15 days from 9th or 10th).

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
I myself am waiting for shipping times to decrease dramatically before purchasing my BTO online.

When there is such a demand and supplies are constrained, the build quality should be of concern. Not only is there a known issue with the complexity of the screen assembly, but the need to meet demand and target launch supplies, leads to a rushed build, rife with potential problems.

I would not be in too much a hurry to order one until there are more 27" inchers out in the wild and delivery time has decreased to a more reasonable time frame of a few days.

Until then, I fear these first gens will be potentially problematic due to a rushed build to meet demand, along with an untested variable.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Until then, I fear these first gens will be potentially problematic due to a rushed build to meet demand, along with an untested variable.

That always concerns me, but if you think about it, the iPad Mini and iPhone 5 didn't suffer batch quality because they were whipping the workers into producing faster, hehe.

Tho I do plan on buying Apple Care for sure, because my buy cycle on iMac is every 3 years, vs every year like my laptops.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
:)

So you're going to make me listen to the October 23, 2012 Apple Event in San Jose so that I can quote the line where they state the 27" model will initially be available in limited quantities? :mad:

Okay, be back in a few . . . .

My bad. Unless I missed it, there was no discussion of limited availability in the Apple Event.

There were clues galore on MacRumors beginning in September or August, reports detailing production yield issues with the larger iMac lamination process, issues that would produce limited quantities unless those production issues were resolved.

Either initial demand was very large, or production yield issues remain, or there has been a combination of those two factors.

Either way, it has been apparent from watching forum posts of those that have placed orders along with projected delivery dates that the further the order time moved away from midnight on November 30, delivery dates rapidly moved further and further out on the calendar.

I myself had made plans to place my order with a licensed Apple Reseller in Medford, OR, and save the California sales tax.

By 01:30, November 30--I saw the writing on the wall, projected delivery dates were rapidly moving out.

I bit the $200 + sales tax bullet and placed my order online with Apple.

I received mine on December 13th, a week and one day ahead of the Apple projected opening of my delivery envelope.

They are beautiful works of art. Just order the thing and be very happy when you get it.

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
So you're going to make me listen to the October 23, 2012 Apple Event in San Jose so that I can quote the line where they state the 27" model will initially be available in limited quantities? :mad:

Okay, be back in a few . . . .

Yes. I've never seen them say in a keynote "limited quantities" lol

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Yes. I've never seen them say in a keynote "limited quantities" lol

Wasn't the keynote; it was the earnings call that shortly followed it. The keynote just gave "Available: November" and "Available: December". The earnings call Q&A, when Tim Cook was specifically asked about any anticipated product shortages, he called out the iMacs and especially the 27".

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Wasn't the keynote; it was the earnings call that shortly followed it.

Right, I'm referring to the product release announcement they staged. Said they'd be available in November (fail), then December (stretching the truth at best)... and we're now entering January with no availability.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Wasn't the keynote; it was the earnings call that shortly followed it. The keynote just gave "Available: November" and "Available: December". The earnings call Q&A, when Tim Cook was specifically asked about any anticipated product shortages, he called out the iMacs and especially the 27".

Thanks 42.

I just knew I had seen or heard "official" confirmation from Apple with regards to limited availability--something from the horses mouth that lined up with all of the rumors and articles discussing production yield issues on the larger screen.

----------

Right, I'm referring to the product release announcement they staged. Said they'd be available in November (fail), then December (stretching the truth at best)... and we're now entering January with no availability.

They did clearly state November for the 21.5"--and AFAIK, they met that goal with units in Apple stores, in many countries.

I believe that there were tear-down pics from ifixit from Australia with a unit purchased on Friday the 30th..

I received my 27" BTO on December 13th.

----------

From this MacRumors report:

During Apple's most recent earnings call, Tim Cook talked briefly about the constraints the company faces during the all-important holiday quarter:
In terms of general shortages on the iMac, we’ll be constrained for the full quarter in a significant way, part of that is that we’re beginning shipping the 21.5-inch iMac in November and the 27-inch in December. And so there will be a short amount of time during the quarter to manufacture and ramp those and I expect the demand to be robust. So we will have a significant shortage there.

You can peruse the entire iMac availability rumor mill here.

As I stated in a post above. Just pull the trigger and be happy when you get it. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.