Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Would the coverbuddy fit ok with a skin protector on the back of the mini ?

And can you post that wallpaper

I dont know because its such a perfect fit.. I would think so, but I wouldn't promise it.. I had a cover buddy on my iPad 2 which worked with a skin underneath..

I can't take any credit for the wallpaper.. I just found it online.

Attachments

• Black-Leather-Logo-iPad-4-wallpaper-ilikewallpaper_com_1024.jpg
    Black-Leather-Logo-iPad-4-wallpaper-ilikewallpaper_com_1024.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 286

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Here's a few quick shots.. Let me know if theres anything else I can show ya..

I have a Dark Gray Smart Cover, I like it. I'd prefer leather but for now it'll do. I know some of the reviews I've seen said it comes off easy but I haven't experienced that at all. the CoverBuddy is great, I really like it. I'm debating whether or not to go to a skin instead but I do sorta like having something protect it from a dent or ding. Also, I have a black iPhone 5 and see how the bezel has taken some abuse and the Coverbuddy protects from that, a skin wouldn't.

Looks good. I have a white one with a light grey cover. I don't know what I want for my mini. Does the smart cover work good for browsing while laying in the bed?

The Cover Buddy does look good, I have a invisibleshield backing, so I don't know if I want to just put that on. I won't be throwing the iPad in my bag or anything and I'm pretty careful with my devices.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Looks good. I have a white one with a light grey cover. I don't know what I want for my mini. Does the smart cover work good for browsing while laying in the bed?

The Cover Buddy does look good, I have a invisibleshield backing, so I don't know if I want to just put that on. I won't be throwing the iPad in my bag or anything and I'm pretty careful with my devices.

Does the Invisible Shield cover the corners? I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on a skin cause I know most don't and I know thats exactly where i'll end up with scratches. Sticker Boy covers the corners and I've used them before but really like the Coverbuddy for now.

Yes, the smart cover works great. Before I got it, i used a few cheap cases from Amazon (Specifically this one) - for the price its excellent but you do get what you pay for. The shell might be a hair thinner than the Cover Buddy but not much at all. And the front panel is also thinner than the Smart Cover but not in a good way. It had a hard time supporting the iPad as a stand on any surface which is why I ultimately stopped using it and went this route.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Does the Invisible Shield cover the corners? I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on a skin cause I know most don't and I know thats exactly where i'll end up with scratches. Sticker Boy covers the corners and I've used them before but really like the Coverbuddy for now.

Yes, the smart cover works great. Before I got it, i used a few cheap cases from Amazon (Specifically this one) - for the price its excellent but you do get what you pay for. The shell might be a hair thinner than the Cover Buddy but not much at all. And the front panel is also thinner than the Smart Cover but not in a good way. It had a hard time supporting the iPad as a stand on any surface which is why I ultimately stopped using it and went this route.

I thought I bought the maximum coverage, but guess I just bought the front and back cover. So, the back doesn't wrap around. I've been using Zagg since 3GS and installation is easy and I don't get the issues like orange peel. First time I've ever just used the invisibleshield with no case is on the 4S and it's holding up really well. But for the iPad Mini, I have the white and I only use it around the house unless I'm traveling so I'm not to worried about scratches.

I seen that case, but I'll try the smart cover out see how I like it. I'll test the back out and first scratch I get on a trip, I'll buy the Cover Buddy.

Once again thanks for the photo's, if you need photo's of the iPad Mini with the invisibleshield on, let me know.

Boston Rhett

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2012
DC

Yep, I have the black one. Feels really nice and comfortable to hold, may be a little slippery for some people, though. The bottom where the cutouts are is a little flimsy. Also, the buttons are really hard to push, especially the sleep/wake button. But overall it's still a nice case, fits snugly and isn't loose at all. Haven't tried yet, but it looks like it'll play fine with screen protectors.

AmyK

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Has anyone gotten the back buddy in green? I got the grey Smart Cover and was leaning toward green. Just curious if anybody had an opinion on the color.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
This may/may not be helpful to potential customers, but I just thought I'd let them know of my experiences:

After a bit of research, I decided that the Devicewear Ridge for my mini was probably the best bang for your buck out there in terms of folio cases. Although I am mostly satisfied with it, there are a few things that bother me, to the point where I'm considering returning it.

-The cover doesn't stay flat on the screen. This normally isn't that big of a deal, but if the "bend" get large enough, it can actually prevent the auto-sleep from functioning when you close the cover (in 1 case today, it didn't wake up when I opened it).

-In portrait mode, the folio adds just enough heft that it can't be held one handed for a long period of time. Now, this is just my personal experiences, perhaps my wrists are weak (they are), or perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me in terms of the comfort of being able to hold the mini for prolonged periods of time bareback, but this is pretty annoying and somewhat negates one of the major pros (in my eyes) of the mini over its larger sibling.

It's unfortunate that this is the case, since I like my Ridge otherwise, and the multi-angle stand options it provides in landscape mode is pretty convenient. I'm going to try it bareback for awhile, but otherwise, I may have to buy a sleeve and portable stand combo instead.

Last edited:

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Yep, I have the black one. Feels really nice and comfortable to hold, may be a little slippery for some people, though. The bottom where the cutouts are is a little flimsy. Also, the buttons are really hard to push, especially the sleep/wake button. But overall it's still a nice case, fits snugly and isn't loose at all. Haven't tried yet, but it looks like it'll play fine with screen protectors.

Agreed. Very good quality case and comfortable to hold, but the buttons are really too hard to push and the bottom part is flimsy.

I put on incipio's included screen protector and it works well enough with the case, BUT you have to put it on perfectly for that to be the case. If you put it on just slightly off center, the case will push against the screen protector and the protector will detach along the edges.

Still, as you say, a really good case.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I'm using the dark gray smart cover and a rear leather skin from Sticker boy. I couldn't get the corners of the skin quite perfect...when installing like they say, it created huge wrinkles and sharp edges, so I overlapped and it's better, but still a little annoying...they're sending me a Type 4 skin now (excellent customer service), which has full coverage except for the sides of the corners, which I think will work better for me. I love the leather feel and look, though:

sticker_boy1.jpg

edit: WTH? Macrumors blocks the combined name of sticker boy? Why? it even blocked it in my image reference since that's what I named my file...I had to rename the filename to allow it to show.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
I'm using the dark gray smart cover and a rear leather skin from Sticker boy. I couldn't get the corners of the skin quite perfect...when installing like they say, it created huge wrinkles and sharp edges, so I overlapped and it's better, but still a little annoying...they're sending me a Type 4 skin now (excellent customer service), which has full coverage except for the sides of the corners, which I think will work better for me. I love the leather feel and look, though:

edit: WTH? Macrumors blocks the combined name of sticker boy? Why? it even blocked it in my image reference since that's what I named my file...I had to rename the filename to allow it to show.

Yea, not sure why they block Sticker Boys name/link. I've used them for a few years for my iphone and iPad 2 and think they make EXCELLENT stuff and thier customer service is great, they are very responsive.

Which back cover is that you have on there now, the Extreme Fit or the EASY Extreme fit?? Can you post a picture of the corners after you get theType 4/Universal? Ugh. I'm so temoted to go that route again.. (and I'd get exactly what you have, the brown leather - which is what I have on the back of my iphone 5)

How is the Smart Cover Magnet? Does it come off any easier since you are going through the skin and its not directly on the ipad?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Yea, not sure why they block Sticker Boys name/link. I've used them for a few years for my iphone and iPad 2 and think they make EXCELLENT stuff and thier customer service is great, they are very responsive.

because a long time ago they abused the rules about advertising....I buy their stuff too, but that's the reason...

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH

Which back cover is that you have on there now, the Extreme Fit or the EASY Extreme fit?? Can you post a picture of the corners after you get theType 4/Universal? Ugh. I'm so temoted to go that route again.. (and I'd get exactly what you have, the brown leather - which is what I have on the back of my iphone 5)

How is the Smart Cover Magnet? Does it come off any easier since you are going through the skin and its not directly on the ipad?

That's the easy extreme fit (and mine's black leather with the silver insert). I'll post another image with the type 4. Seems to be the best for an assured smooth fit with maximum coverage - looks like it has the full side top and bottom coverage as the extreme fit, but without the upsweep on the corners.

The smart cover magnet works fine. On the hinge it's still very secure, and you can still even support the iPad by holding the smart cover and it will stay attached. On the back - I never really used it without the skin, so I can't compare (I had the skin on within 30 minutes of opening my mini). The magnet will hold the smartcover flush on the back if you are supporting the second section (so the third section will stay stuck and flush). If you only support the first section, it won't hold.

Last edited:

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Bhough this one off of ebay for 25 eu (around 30 dollars)

Attachments

• 20130105_014558.jpg
    20130105_014558.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 218
  • 20130105_014649.jpg
    20130105_014649.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 174
  • 20130105_015454.jpg
    20130105_015454.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 139
  • 20130105_014712.jpg
    20130105_014712.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 161
  • 20130105_014731.jpg
    20130105_014731.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:

xann89

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
Bhough this one off of ebay for 25 eu (around 30 dollars)
Does the magnets strong enough to keep the front cover from flipping open while holding it sideways or upside down...? I'm planning on getting a Rock cover as well. :D

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Looking for a case that has the same coverage as the Coverbuddy (top, bottom, and buttons protected) that is compatible with a Smart Cover while also being able to fit over an Invisible Shield back protector. Does anything like this exist?

Caromsoft

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
The cover doesn't stay flat on the screen. This normally isn't that big of a deal, but if the "bend" get large enough, it can actually prevent the auto-sleep from functioning when you close the cover (in 1 case today, it didn't wake up when I opened it).

It's interesting that it doesn't lay flat, mine doesn't either. No problems so far with the sleep but I wonder what it is about the design that causes that.

phonewentwest

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I just received my Smart Cover Compatible Back Cover SoftGel TPU from
i-Blason and was hoping it would work out but it didn't. I liked the soft matte material but it comes up over the bezel so the smart cover doesn't lay flat on the glass. Just a fyi for anyone interested in this case.

Going to give the CoverBuddy a spin.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I just received my Smart Cover Compatible Back Cover SoftGel TPU from
i-Blason and was hoping it would work out but it didn't. I liked the soft matte material but it comes up over the bezel so the smart cover doesn't lay flat on the glass. Just a fyi for anyone interested in this case.

Going to give the CoverBuddy a spin.

You'll like it. I made the mistake of thinking I could find something better and sold mine a couple weeks ago. I ended up ordering another one yesterday.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
You'll like it. I made the mistake of thinking I could find something better and sold mine a couple weeks ago. I ended up ordering another one yesterday.

I keep looking for something thinner and grippier than the clear coverbuddy but nothing seems to exist yet. i LOVE button covers and speaker cover on the cover buddy and no one else seems to have that.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I keep looking for something thinner and grippier than the clear coverbuddy but nothing seems to exist yet. i LOVE button covers and speaker cover on the cover buddy and no one else seems to have that.

Agreed. I ordered the matte version of the CoverBuddy in hopes that it's not near as slick as the clear one. The clear and the black I tried were too slick.

I almost ordered Belkin's Shield but there's a huge cutout for the speakers and I couldn't find any pictures of it other than Belkin's stock photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.