Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

I have an unlocked iPhone 5 (bought directly from Apple) which I use on the T-Mobile network and I've noticed that when I enable 3G on the phone, the battery drains much more quickly.

I was wondering if anyone here has also experienced battery drainage issues when they enable 3g on their phones? Thanks! :)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
This is true for every phone ever, 3G radios use more power than regular GPRS or EDGE. If you have poor 3G reception in your area it gets even worse.

If you're worried about it only enable 3G when you're using data.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Are you getting 3G with t-mobile? If not, it's simply wasting battery looking for 3G signal. The same would be true for any phones where there's no cellular connectivity (in the mountain, etc.), in which case it's better to turn it off.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
But this is the very use of a smartphone.

In my experience closing bluetooth helps reducing battery drain without crippling your device.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

In my experience closing bluetooth helps reducing battery drain without crippling your device.

Another battery hog is Passbook. I downloaded some passes which without my knowledge it's set to update location periodically. Every time I turned on the screen I saw a location arrow appeared then disappeared quickly and my battery was draining really quickly. I finally found out the culprit that's Passbook.

I disabled the location services for Passbook and my battery life has since returned to normal.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012

In my experience closing Bluetooth helps reducing battery drain without crippling your device.

Bluetooth is the biggest battery killer for me. I use it daily in my car, so I leave it on all the time. I am on vacation and I don't have my car so I turned off my Bluetooth and my battery life is amazingly better. Not that my battery was bad while on Bluetooth, but the difference is noticeable.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Bluetooth is the biggest battery killer for me. I use it daily in my car, so I leave it on all the time. I am on vacation and I don't have my car so I turned off my Bluetooth and my battery life is amazingly better. Not that my battery was bad while on Bluetooth, but the difference is noticeable.
Even my big iPad, which has insanely great battery life, eats battery like crazy when it's connected to a bluetooth keyboard. LTE actually helps saving battery since everything finishes loading faster. The biggest culprits are location services and bluetooth.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Do you have more battery drainage using 4G on your iPhone 5?
No interestingly enough, I keep very close track of my battery usage. Using my iPhone 5, in the same exact manner (heavy daily usage) I get very good battery life.

I make it a practice of not quoting run times, since they vary so significantly depending on a whole host of variables including usage.

But suffice to say that I don't turn down display brightness all the way, it's usually at about 40%, and I do use push notifications for my five email accounts which receive about 60 emails a day, etc. So it's not like I go to extreme measures to eek out every bit of battery life. I'm on the web a lot (wishing for a larger display) and use Evernote and other apps frequently.

I use my iPhone, as a smartphone, unlike my parents for example that only use a small number of all the phones features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.