Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
I jumped from the IP4 to the Galaxy S3. I was VERY happy with the size of the phone. The phone was thin and not too big for me, but I missed the ease of IOS and the total Apple EcoSystem, so I jumped back to the IP5. In about 10 minutes I didn't miss the smaller screen size of the IP5. My point here is that the form of the S3 would definitely work for me if the next Iphone had it. As tempting as the new Galaxy S4 will be, and it will be a kick ass phone, I will not leave the Apple IOS. Show me how to put IOS on a Galaxy S4 and I'm gone!!

Cvadh387

macrumors member
May 22, 2012
California
I am planning on getting the iPhone 5S, or whatever phone comes after the iPhone 5. I currently have the Samsung Droid Charge and I hate it. It's a 4.3 Inch screen but I am patiently waiting for the next iPhone and I don't care if the screen is smaller. My android phone has been giving me nothing but problems.

Anything is better than my current phone! I can't wait until my upgrade in February and whenever the next iPhone will come out :D

internetguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
@.@ why do you guys want a bigger screen?
it actually does what it does....

its so hard to put in your pocket cuz i had a gs3 before

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Anything is better than my current phone! I can't wait until my upgrade in February and whenever the next iPhone will come out :D

Next iPhone could be anywhere from summer to fall. If you can wait then wait, but there's going to be killer phones coming out all year (Galaxy S4 in spring). Check everything out.

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
For me, a 4 inch screen is the sweet spot for me. I have an EVO LTE for work and my personal phone is on T-Mobile (unlocked iPhone 5) and if I could get an Android device with Galaxy S 3 specs w/ a 4 inch display on Sprint, I'd be ecstatic.

I however fear that the market will continue to trend towards larger and larger phones. I love what the Note line has to offer, but it's just way too big for my liking.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Remember all the people complaining about how 3.5'' was perfect and that 4'' would be too big?

Once Apple makes anything official, its like the best thing ever.

I'm sure if they made a larger size option, people will like it and understand.

I for one would not, and will find something else if they did. ;)

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Like RIM users you will learn to adapt, ironically you don't have a choice. LOL

A lot of my family & friends who were BlackBerry users finally had it. As much as they love BBM & the Keyboard if was time for a change.

The iPad mini a great example, the numbers are impressive and I really believe they could've doubled or even tripled it if they had released it with Retina.

Funny I was just talking to a friend about this, he has a Sam G SIII and I think at some point the iPad Mini will merge with the iPhone, but I just hope that Apple still offers a phone with a smaller screen. Think about the battery life on the Mini, it could be a workable solution for some.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
I would love it if the next iphone had a 5" screen. The iphone 5 is almost as tall as the s3 but just a bit narrower. If they really slimmed down the bezel and thought of something ingenious to do with the home button (maybe get rid of it... I don't know) then it can absolutely fit.

atmc

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Porto, Portugal
I got my iPhone 5 in the beginning of December, and now I recognize that 4" is a little uncomfortable. I think it would be better some size between 3,5" and 4".

I really don't understand how people find it comfortable to use 4,8" phones. The iPhone 4S was much more comfortable than the iPhone 5, even though I agree that it has advantages about content presentation.

Cvadh387

macrumors member
May 22, 2012
California
Next iPhone could be anywhere from summer to fall. If you can wait then wait, but there's going to be killer phones coming out all year (Galaxy S4 in spring). Check everything out.

I can wait.

My boyfriend has the Galaxy s3. It is a great phone, but it's too complicated for me. 90% of the cool things it does, I probably wouldn't even use it. I just want a phone that overall works well and is simple. All my other devices are Apple products anyway. I already tried the android thing, and now I want to switch to Apple. I've never owned an iPhone before.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I can wait.

My boyfriend has the Galaxy s3. It is a great phone, but it's too complicated for me. 90% of the cool things it does, I probably wouldn't even use it. I just want a phone that overall works well and is simple. All my other devices are Apple products anyway. I already tried the android thing, and now I want to switch to Apple. I've never owned an iPhone before.

Nice, hopefully Apple will release it sooner than later.

I remember getting an iPhone 4 (Verizon) my first smartphone. Its awesome. Still have it now.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
What makes you think the phone will get bulkier?

I'm willing to stipulate that if current exterior dimensions can be maintained, and if the aspect ratio of 16 x 9 can be maintained, I'd tolerate a larger screen within that framework. This assumes app compatibility and equivalent screen resolution

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I will say this:

i have purchased every single iphone that has come out thus far.

But i will NOT be purchasing the next iphone, not if it doesnt have a bigger screen...

But if they don't change what the body of the phone is made of.

I love the iphone 5, but the body is just too damn sensitive. You breathe on it the wrong way and you get a scratch or dent.

Also, rethink how the screen is attached to the phone. Too many iphone 5's with the "popping screen" syndrome.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
For me, a 4 inch screen is the sweet spot for me. I have an EVO LTE for work and my personal phone is on T-Mobile (unlocked iPhone 5) and if I could get an Android device with Galaxy S 3 specs w/ a 4 inch display on Sprint, I'd be ecstatic.

I however fear that the market will continue to trend towards larger and larger phones. I love what the Note line has to offer, but it's just way too big for my liking.

Well said. The Android "choice" seems to get rather limited if you don't want a big screen.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009

Yep, I'm right there with you. After having a Droid Incredible and then a Thunderbolt, I just got my first iPhone, and I'm never going back to a screen bigger than 4 inches. My Thunderbolt was too big at 4.3 inches, and usually quite difficult to get out of my pockets. I don't even feel the iPhone 5 when I'm carrying it.

I miss some Android features like widgets and a better notification system, but there's nothing good in Android in this size. I might check out the 4" Droid Incredible LTE 4G just for giggles, but overall I'm really happy with current choice.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
@.@ why do you guys want a bigger screen?
it actually does what it does....

its so hard to put in your pocket cuz i had a gs3 before

So you can see stuff better?

And how hard is it to put a S3 in your pocket? Really? Fits fine in standard jeans pocket, heck I put mine in my breast pocket at work. I don't get why people think it's hard to put it in your pocket.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So you can see stuff better?

And how hard is it to put a S3 in your pocket? Really? Fits fine in standard jeans pocket, heck I put mine in my breast pocket at work. I don't get why people think it's hard to put it in your pocket.

I agree....my IP5 and SG3 both can fit in the same size pocket.....and I have both phones...

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
they wont increase the size to force you to buy an ipad mini and im falling for it and thats what ill do when the retina mini comes out. when i had an htc one x the screen was SO DAMN good i had no need for a tablet. with the phone i watched netflix on it comfortably. but with the iphone reading is a pain and i want a bigger screen but having my laptop on me is a pain so now i want a in between device like an ipad. just cant figure out if the ipad 5 if its lighter will suit me or go for the mini. hm..

2ndchancephones

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2011
Denton, TX
I know some people prefer the current size, 3.5 or 4. But both of these are too small especially after playing the samsung or HTC phones.

Those big phones just look nice. I am so tempted to buy those phones and just give up my iPhone.

Apple should be more considerate and make a few options. Let the customer pick.

I have friends who feels the same too.

If the big screen jazzes you then go get one. I don't think Apple really wants a huge screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.