Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Anybody else holding back? Once the thinner one gets released all cases will be obsolete. I expect smart covers to still work but all your leather cases will be too large for the new Ipad 5.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
iPad 5 isn't being released anytime soon -- so I have no idea what you're holding back for. Plus, I doubt that leather iPad 4 cases will become "obsolete" if and when iPad 5 is released. It will probably still remain 9.7''

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm not sure what your point is. Given the most current is called the iPad with retina display, it's highly unlikely the upcoming model will be called iPad 5. Other than being thinner & lighter, any other features will be above & beyond what anyone needs or may use. The current model I have is very fast refined & complete. Yet Apple excels at convincing people they must have the latest.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Anybody else holding back? Once the thinner one gets released all cases will be obsolete. I expect smart covers to still work but all your leather cases will be too large for the new Ipad 5.

Regardless when Apple releases the iPad 5, note that there is a chance that it will have a different form factor that previous models.

First, its going to have the iPad Mini design which will mean it will be thinner and lighter.

Second, there is a good chance Apple will decrease its side bezels to make them more like the iPad Mini. By doing that the total width of the iPad 5 will be smaller which means most cases and Smart Covers will not fit (be larger than the actual iPad).

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Usually when I sell a device the case accompanies it. An expensive keyboard case like the new Zagg I got for Christmas I might sell separately if I feel I'll get a better return parting the items.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
It will be different. Apple always moves things around, like the cameras, or the bezels. The 2 was different than the 1 and the 3 was different than the 2. That's life.

But, why hold back? We have no idea when the 5 will be released. More importantly, why spend a bunch of money on an expensive case that will add excessive weight to the device? To each his own :)

As others have already said, I sell my devices to upgrade, and throw in the cases with it.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Nah, I wouldn't let something like that affect how I take care of what I own. Unless you're planning to buy some diamond encrusted case, I wouldn't hold back. I'm not one to blow unnecessary money on a "nice" case though. If it will protect my iPad, while still looking decent, that's good enough for me. Unless it has a Bluetooth keyboard, I wouldn't spend more than $40 on a case.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Sometimes I think threads like this have to be spoofs because people can't be so unable to make a decision.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
I went for the maxed out iPad 4. It's got retina, lightning connector, and great CPU and GPU performance.

Couldn't be happier.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If I were planning on buying the iPad 5, which has a good chance if being thinner, I would not buy an expensive case now because it so t work well on the five in the sAme way that Apples iPad 1 case didn't work well in the iPad 2.

Then again, I don't buy expensive cases and will most likely get another Belkin snap shield and Smart Cover combo.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Yes I am. I was going to buy a rather expensive Vesa stand but now the worm of doubt has found a home.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
If I were planning on buying the iPad 5, which has a good chance if being thinner, I would not buy an expensive case now because it so t work well on the five in the sAme way that Apples iPad 1 case didn't work well in the iPad 2.

Then again, I don't buy expensive cases and will most likely get another Belkin snap shield and Smart Cover combo.

The decision each time is terribly simple, isn't it :)

Well, Apple has its own all-in-one case now (back + smart cover), so I might consider that as an alternative.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Sometimes I think threads like this have to be spoofs because people can't be so unable to make a decision.

Some people want to get the best if its only a couple months down the road.

Don't see a problem with that considering most people don't blindly upgrade every year.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So the next iPad is going to be thinner? Says who? And why not buy a nice case if that's what you want? Seems stupid.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
So the next iPad is going to be thinner? Says who? And why not buy a nice case if that's what you want? Seems stupid.

No official word, but its expected that the next iPad will have the same design as the current iPad Mini.

Also the iPad 3/iPad 4 were heavier than the iPad 2 which is something Apple wants to change.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No official word, but its expected that the next iPad will have the same design as the current iPad Mini.

Also the iPad 3/iPad 4 were heavier than the iPad 2 which is something Apple wants to change.

Really? Are they quoted somewhere saying that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.