Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
^^ on the surface one would think that makes sense, but the statistics prove otherwise. There are thousands of ways to kill people besides guns. The weapon has nothing to do with killing someone, it's the person using it. The only thing going to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Not just a cliche either. It's no different than banning fertilizer to stop your subway/train bombings.

True enough, but why make life easy for those who wish to do harm? You're right you're not going to stop someone who wants to kill simply by banning guns, but you're making it far easier for them to do it by handing out deadly weapons to everyone who wants one, and a gun is the most effective way of killing someone easily. To use a knife skilfully, for example, that takes effort and training, and if your victim is trained they can turn that knife back on you. Simply getting a gun out and shooting someone makes the whole business easier. Again, it's not the be all and end all, but it's assisting murders.

Here's a more relevant stat than just a phone.

Fact: When a woman was armed with a gun or knife, only 3% of rape attacks are completed, compared to 32% when the woman was unarmed. That's a fact taken right from our very own U.S. Department of Justice Law Enforcement Assistance Administration studying victimization in 26 of our largest cities.

My own wife was confronted and nearly attacked back in 2007 outside her law practice....she slapped and pushed the attacker away, drew her Ruger LC9 and as soon as he saw the red dot about the size of a quarter from her site on his chest, he ran like a scalded cat.

True story and yes, she is armed every time she leaves the house. I'll never forget getting the call as she raced home. I don't leave without my CCW either.

Rape Rates 1995–2003 (per 100,000 pop.) as per US National Crime Victimization Survey, Department of Justice

United Kingdom
1995 43.3 vs
2005 69.2
+59.8 increase

United States
1995 37.1 vs
2005 32.1
-13.5 decrease

No surprise in the US as more and more woman are authorized to carry a firearm.

I'm sorry to hear that and I'm glad she came out of it okay. I'd be interested to know the source of your UK stats before I give a proper response to this, and I want to point out that the way various crimes are measured in different countries varies, so directly comparing crime figures from two countries is unlikely to be an accurate comparison. Also, a rise in rapes in the UK could be caused by many different factors.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
True enough, but why make life easy for those who wish to do harm? You're right you're not going to stop someone who wants to kill simply by banning guns, but you're making it far easier for them to do it by handing out deadly weapons to everyone who wants one, and a gun is the most effective way of killing someone easily.

Who's handing out weapons? (besides Switzerland)
So do you think it's difficult to obtain a gun in NYC? How about the UK? Nope, if I want one, I will get one. Drugs like crack are illegal here in my city but I can easily go find it or be linked up with sources if I wanted it. Same with just about anything illegal. Now imagine if I was into that type of thing or crime. It's not making any more difficult for those with ill intent. Not at all.

I would also challenge you that a gun is the most effective way to kill someone. The recent CT Shooting.....the kid could have killed more with a simple home made bomb than firing off an AR15 like he did. I can also just as easily and more effectively kill you with a knife vs a gun. Want to rob a petrol station without a gun, give me a glass of gasoline and a lighter, splash the clerk and demand money. $5 says they give it to you.

To use a knife skilfully, for example, that takes effort and training, and if your victim is trained they can turn that knife back on you. Simply getting a gun out and shooting someone makes the whole business easier. Again, it's not the be all and end all, but it's assisting murders.

Guns aren't assisting in murders. Again, do live in the UK where owning a gun is not allowed?....great....I'm a bad guy with a gun and I kick in your front door and have near ZERO to fear. Not so here in the states. Not even close.

I'd be interested to know the source of your UK stats before I give a proper response to this, and I want to point out that the way various crimes are measured in different countries varies, so directly comparing crime figures from two countries is unlikely to be an accurate comparison. Also, a rise in rapes in the UK could be caused by many different factors.

US National Crime Victimization Survey, Department of Justice

The reason I noted the facts on the US as I did at the end of page 8 and my post is like you, I won't speak of the UK stats as the study has since I can only really stand for those in the US. I agree with lots of variables involved.

However, the stats on violent crime per capita by countries is pretty well known and available. I'll let you choose the research platform. However, just as with states here in the US with "tough" gun laws, disarming the citizens doesn't protect them. Nor will it in sure the governments will.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...73/UK-is-violent-crime-capital-of-Europe.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ry-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

2010 Statistics on Rape in UK vs US per 100,000 (source UN Rape Statistics)

UK 28.8
US: 27.3

Again, hitting home for me and why I enjoy our laws vs yours, is I have a family of 4 and if anyone enters my home against my will / uninvited, I can shoot and kill them with zero issues. I do not have to retreat nor do they have to be armed. If they are in my home against my will, I am allowed by law to believe they have the intent to harm my family. In Ohio, it also now includes if I'm in my vehicle.

In the UK, you're sitting ducks and if you do pull a gun to defend your family, you'll go to jail for 5yrs. IMO, that's dumb. Wife and I are well armed and while wouldn't not go so far as to say we have no fear, I bet two armed home owners vs even multiple attackers stand a far better chance of being safe vs if we lived in the UK under similar circumstances.

Last edited:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Who's handing out weapons? (besides Switzerland)
So do you think it's difficult to obtain a gun in NYC? How about the UK? Nope, if I want one, I will get one. Drugs like crack are illegal here in my city but I can easily go find it or be linked up with sources if I wanted it. Same with just about anything illegal. Now imagine if I was into that type of thing or crime. It's not making any more difficult for those with ill intent. Not at all.

Of course making something illegal doesn't cut off all access, but it makes it harder for sure. It's harder to get something underground than it is to get it in Tesco (or Wal-Mart). And guns aren't widespread in the UK, most criminals use knives.

I would also challenge you that a gun is the most effective way to kill someone. The recent CT Shooting.....the kid could have killed more with a simple home made bomb than firing off an AR15 like he did. I can also just as easily and more effectively kill you with a knife vs a gun. Want to rob a petrol station without a gun, give me a glass of gasoline and a lighter, splash the clerk and demand money. $5 says they give it to you.

But you can't use a bomb in a mugging or a rape or a robbery, and those are far more common incidents and that's the topic of our discussion.

Whether or not your lighter thing would work depends on how well trained and strong the clerk is. If it's a big guy he could just punch your lights out before you turn the lighter on. With a gun though, it doesn't matter how strong that guy is, that's why some people call guns a coward's weapon.

Guns aren't assisting in murders. Again, do live in the UK where owning a gun is not allowed?....great....I'm a bad guy with a gun and I kick in your front door and have near ZERO to fear. Not so here in the states. Not even close.

Of course they are. Objects which are designed specifically for murdering people do indeed insist in murders. And the law in the UK allows you to use reasonable force to protect yourself, your family, and your property. There were even recent law changes to expand this further. Like I said, most bad guys here don't have guns anyway, they have knives, and if you went into your kitchen and grabbed a knife to fight back that's all good and legal.

US National Crime Victimization Survey, Department of Justice

Not such a good source for UK crime states then.

The reason I noted the facts on the US as I did at the end of page 8 and my post is like you, I won't speak of the UK stats as the study has since I can only really stand for those in the US. I agree with lots of variables involved.

Exactly.

However, the stats on violent crime per capita by countries is pretty well known and available. I'll let you choose the research platform. However, just as with states here in the US with "tough" gun laws, disarming the citizens doesn't protect them. Nor will it in sure the governments will.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...73/UK-is-violent-crime-capital-of-Europe.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ry-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

From your second link (urgh, the Daily Fail):

But criminologists say crime figures can be affected by many factors, including different criminal justice systems and differences in how crime is reported and measured.

In Britain, an affray is considered a violent crime, while in other countries it will only be logged if a person is physically injured.

And:

But Police Minister David Hanson said: 'These figures are misleading.
Levels of police recorded crime statistics from different countries are simply not comparable since they are affected by many factors, for example the recording of violent crime in other countries may not include behaviour that we would categorise as violent crime.

As I said, you can't directly compare crime figures from different countries, it's an inaccurate way of measuring crime, and there's certainly no way you can use those numbers as any indication that the slack US gun control laws are good.

Bartski

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
Well then, I'll be sure not to let my iPhone take its daily stroll on the subway platforms.

Statistically, this is absolute bunk.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Of course making something illegal doesn't cut off all access, but it makes it harder for sure. It's harder to get something underground than it is to get it in Tesco (or Wal-Mart). And guns aren't widespread in the UK, most criminals use knives.

If you can't cut off all access, then limiting what the honest citizens are allowed to use to protect themselves isn't helping them. In your case, it's a citizen with a knife vs a bad guy with a knife; and like you said, fighting with a knife isn't easy so i would venture to say, your average citizen vs bad guy, the bad guy likely has the edge. No thanks, I'll take my side arm and plenty of range experience against a bad guy with a gun who very likely has far less range and shooting experience any day.

But you can't use a bomb in a mugging or a rape or a robbery, and those are far more common incidents and that's the topic of our discussion.

and the UK has more rapes than the US and your woman have to walk around unarmed. No thanks, I enjoy knowing my wife can carry a gun. Again, give my wife a knife or a gun and I'm choosing a gun.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...-in-the-u.s.-2011/violent-crime/violent-crime
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime...arch-2012/trends-in-crime--a-short-story.html

Whether or not your lighter thing would work depends on how well trained and strong the clerk is. If it's a big guy he could just punch your lights out before you turn the lighter on. With a gun though, it doesn't matter how strong that guy is, that's why some people call guns a cowards weapon.

A clerk with a gun stands a much better chance than without. The bad guy has an even far less chance if the other shoppers are likely armed too. Day in and day out those stories prevail over the mass shootings.
http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21009449826698/robber-shot-killed-during-robbery-attempt/
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2012/12/robber_shot_in_battle_creek_co.html
http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/aug/09/would-be-robber-fatally-shot-intended-victim-polic-ar-675058
http://www.easybakegunclub.com/news/1861/Armed-robber-shot-by-store-clerk-(Indiana).html
http://investmentwatchblog.com/suspected-robber-shot-and-killed-at-rockcastle-county-gas-stationky/

Of course they are. Objects which are designed specifically for murdering people do indeed insist in murders.

Guns aren't for murdering, they are for protecting. Ever wonder why Japan didn't invade the states back in WWII? Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
Folklore perhaps, but really.....they knew better because it's pretty much true. In 2012 my state of Ohio had nearly 1M Registered hunters. That's just those of us that bought hunting licenses for deer.

And the law in the UK allows you to use reasonable force to protect yourself, your family, and your property. There were even recent law changes to expand this further. Like I said, most bad guys here don't have guns anyway, they have knives, and if you went into your kitchen and grabbed a knife to fight back that's all good and legal.

You grab your knife, I'm going for my 12 gauge and 00 buck along with my Ruger side arm and my wife will be with my kids with her Glock 19. Odds are in my favor for sure. Never bring a knife to a gun fight. I would actually LOL if I saw a guy wielding a knife inside my home. Real talk.

As I said, you can't directly compare crime figures from different countries, it's an inaccurate way of measuring crime, and there's certainly no way you can use those numbers as any indication that the slack US gun control laws are good.

You pick the source then......

Last edited:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
If you can't cut off all access, then limiting what the honest citizens are allowed to use to protect themselves isn't helping them. In your case, it's a citizen with a knife vs a bad guy with a knife; and like you said, fighting with a knife isn't easy so i would venture to say, your average citizen vs bad guy, the bad guy likely has the edge. No thanks, I'll take my side arm and plenty of range experience against a bad guy with a gun who very likely has far less range and shooting experience any day.

Yeah, that's the answer! Give everyone dangerous weapons! What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Isn't there some stat that says you're more likely to end up shooting a loved one than a criminal with your "protection"?

And just 1% of the total crimes are sexual offenses, look at that. Where does all this "the UK has more rape" nonsense come from? The way you're talking about it, there's rapists everywhere. Nonsense.

A clerk with a gun stands a much better chance than without. The bad guy has an even far less chance if the other shoppers are likely armed too. Day in and day out those stories prevail over the mass shootings.
http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21009449826698/robber-shot-killed-during-robbery-attempt/
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2012/12/robber_shot_in_battle_creek_co.html
http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/aug/09/would-be-robber-fatally-shot-intended-victim-polic-ar-675058

Hey, I can google too, and there are stories where clerks are shot straight away after being asked for money with no chance to defend themselves. And here is a story where a clerk shot a guy for punching him. What good guns did then! :rolleyes:

Guns aren't for murdering, they are for protecting. Ever wonder why Japan didn't invade the states back in WWII? Think about it......in Ohio alone we have over 1.2M registered hunters. That's 1.2M men that participate in shooting sports with rifles. Add in handgun owners and other guns that aren't registered and in one state we likely have more people with arms in their homes than any country trying to invade us.

I find it hilarious you truly think a bunch of citizens with guns makes governments with whole armies at their disposal quake in their boots. Armies have aircraft carriers. You have a handgun. If another country invaded the US, you wouldn't be able to defend yourself against that. The US army probably would, but you as a citizen wouldn't have a chance.

You grab your knife, I'm going for my 12 gauge and 00 buck along with my Ruger side arm and my wife will be with my kids with her Glock 19. Odds are in my favor for sure.

Enjoy your prison sentence if you ever try that here. And for good reason too.

You pick the source then......

The only source that would be valid would be an independent study which looked at the exact same criteria for both the US and the UK, and Google isn't showing me any of those sadly.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Yeah, that's the answer! Give everyone dangerous weapons! What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Isn't there some stat that says you're more likely to end up shooting a loved one than a criminal with your "protection"?

Myth. That study tried to perpetuate a myth that handguns are 43 times more likely to kill a family member than a criminal

Debunked as the Fact: Of the 43 deaths reported in this flawed study, 37 (86%) were suicides. Other deaths involved criminal activity between the family members (drug deals gone bad).**
Fact: Of the remaining deaths, the deceased family members include felons, drug dealers, violent spouses committing assault, and other criminals.**

Source:
** Protection or Peril? An Analysis of Firearm-Related Deaths in the Home, Arthur L. Kellerman, D.T. Reay, 314 New Eng. J. Med. 1557-60, June 12, 1986. (Kellerman admits that his study did "not include cases in which burglars or intruders are wounded or frightened away by the use or display of a firearm." He also admitted his study did not look at situations in which intruders "purposely avoided a home known to be armed." This is a classic case of a “study” conducted to achieve a desired result. In his critique of this
“study”, Gary Kleck notes that the estimation of gun ownership rates was “inaccurate”, and that the total population came from a non-random selection of only two cities.)

And just 1% of the total crimes are sexual offenses, look at that. Where does all this "the UK has more rape" nonsense come from? The way you're talking about it, there's rapists everywhere. Nonsense.

as noted earlier, UN Rape Statistics

Hey, I can google too, and there are stories where clerks are shot straight away after being asked for money with no chance to defend themselves. And

Clerk also didn't have a gun..... :rolleyes:
here is a story where a clerk shot a guy for punching him. What good guns did then! :rolleyes:

I see no wrong there...3am, doors locked, clerk shouldn't have opened them, but even so, he was then attacked. I'd have shot the guy punching me too.

I find it hilarious you truly think a bunch of citizens with guns makes governments with whole armies at their disposal quake in their boots. Armies have aircraft carriers. You have a handgun. If another country invaded the US, you wouldn't be able to defend yourself against that. The US army probably would, but you as a citizen wouldn't have a chance.

Point being that we US Citizens are well armed. I have way, way more than just a simple handgun too. Many of us. Here's a purchase from just last week :) http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/pdqgp/newtoys.jpg Just in case our completely moronic president decides to ban them. This is my future build project.
Enjoy your prison sentence if you ever try that here. And for good reason too.

No offense, but I would never live in the UK. Even just based on their gun laws, I wouldn't live there. Our 2nd amendment is not something we take lightly. And seriously....if an intruder broke into your home you're saying you couldn't grab a gun and kill them? WOW! if true, that's messed up law for sure. No thanks.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I'd have shot the guy punching me too.

Honestly, I think this says everything I need to know about you, so I'm ending this discussion here.

I will finish, however, with a joke.

How many NRA members does it take to change a light bulb?

More guns.

btbeme

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Not to point out the obvious... but THIEVES are to blame for the increase in the NYC crime rate.

Not iPads. Not iPhones.

Thieves.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
As an esteemed Brit I find it amusing that you Yanks are having arguments about who should be allowed guns.

Over here in the UK it goes something like this:

"Should we allow anyone to buy weapons designed to murder people?"

"No, that would be a stupid idea."

And seriously, if someone comes up to you and points a gun at you first, they'll probably shoot you as soon as you start reaching for yours. Is it really worth dying over a ****ing phone? Just buy insurance. All my **** is insured, I have insurance for up to £1,500 of goods, and although I do exercise caution when using my expensive tech in public regardless, the fact is I know the absolute worst that could happen is I'd have to wait a few days for a replacement phone. Your smartphone isn't worth your personal safety or your life. No, not even the iPhone 5.

Perhaps you should look at the TSA in this country and realize that it's illegal!! Give up guns and it's open season on the USA. Chaina and Russian has asked the US government to take our guns ad wage war, while people here have no issue with them making your products furthering the destruction of the US industrial and tax base.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You grab your knife, I'm going for my 12 gauge and 00 buck along with my Ruger side arm and my wife will be with my kids with her Glock 19. Odds are in my favor for sure. Never bring a knife to a gun fight. I would actually LOL if I saw a guy wielding a knife inside my home. Real talk.

Since we are talking about the UK, there will be an armed response unit there in fifteen minutes, and they will separate you from your arms. The state you are in afterwards depends on how much you try to hold on to your arms. The time you spend in jail also depends on the same thing.

No offense, but I would never live in the UK. Even just based on their gun laws, I wouldn't live there. Our 2nd amendment is not something we take lightly. And seriously....if an intruder broke into your home you're saying you couldn't grab a gun and kill them? WOW! if true, that's messed up law for sure. No thanks.

What's amazing is how many Americans claim they are Christians.

Xials

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
Which might also mean more guns for the thieves to steal, no? Followed by more lives to steal with said guns.

Flawless logic.

While I disagree that there should be stores on every corner (seems like a bad business model) when was the last time you heard of a gun store getting robbed?

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
The problem with your argument is that samsungs commercials are rude and insulting to the people who own iPhones, the very people that there trying to get to buy there phones. I will never buy a samsung product for that very reason. I find there commercials degrading and insulting as an iphone owner myself because they paint all i product owners as stupid, old and out of touch with whats cool which is total bs.

Hey, man, remember "Get a Mac?"

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
It frightens me that people like you are loose amongst us....

It is important to note that that individual does not speak for all American's. As I grew up in the UK, and am a dual citizen of the US and UK, I have had the fortune of experiencing life in many varying cultures. Living in the US for the moment, I don't know many people who believe in the same "values" as those expressed by our friend, but it does irk me that they seem to be the most vocal and thus present in US culture and stereotypes. Thankfully, reason is taking a stronger hold in the nation and more individuals are collectively realizing that "lock and load" isn't a phrase to live by.

----------

While I disagree that there should be stores on every corner (seems like a bad business model) when was the last time you heard of a gun store getting robbed?

That's more due to the fact that robberies of gun stores have higher penalties, and guns are much more difficult to sell on the street than iPhones, iPads, and many other electronics. Chiseling off serial numbers on illegal firearms is difficult and if caught and convicted, you face a harsher sentence than if caught stealing/selling electronics.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Perhaps you should look at the TSA in this country and realize that it's illegal!! Give up guns and it's open season on the USA. Chaina and Russian has asked the US government to take our guns ad wage war, while people here have no issue with them making your products furthering the destruction of the US industrial and tax base.

I'm sorry, I've been reading your comment and trying to ascertain whether you are being serious or satirical in nature.

China and Russia have asked the US government to take away citizen firearms in order to wage war? How did this happen?

Putin: President Obama, we demand your government procure all firearms from U.S. citizens.

Obama: Uuuuum, why?

Putin: In conjunction with Chinese government, we attack your nation.

Obama: Oh, sure, in that case, c'mon in. We'll get the Lincoln bedroom ready for you and the Mrs.

Last edited:

hazerd1982

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
london
imei lock down

best option is to keep your imei in a safe place at home so if your phone gets nicked you can call apple an they can block the phone from there end once it is powerd up agian in the uk it is agenast the law to unblock a phone becouse it is bloacked due to theft hope this helps you guys in the other parts of the world.

how to get imei is go to call pad put in *#06# in the usa may not be he same cheak with you phone previder

Remember when someone pulled a gun to my head for my 4S back in April:mad: Funny thing is.. this happened rite around the corner from the 22nd police district, I ran there when it was over knowing Philadelphia Police are issued iphones

I used the "find my iphone" while the good men in blue was mounting up in the squad cars... (all of this happened within 10 mins) the perp turned my phone off. never to be saw again

Part of me blame apple for not putting a password lock on the power off function. really believed if the ***** was not able to turn my phone off, he would have been brought to justice

leads me to say... the find my iphone app is crap, yeah I said it fanboys so what!. yeah in some situations its handy when you left it in a coffee shop 5 mins. ago or lost it underneath the bed. But other than that, what is it good for?

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
you scare me ...

It frightens me that people like you are loose amongst us....

^^ LOL at the above. Why would I scare you? I'm an American that like millions of us own guns and actually build and use them for various things including protection. The mindset that showing pics of an AR15 scares people is funny. Right up there with the media incorrectly calling them Military Assault rifles. They are completely different then the military M4 and are not by definition Assault Rifles.

If you've never shot are or aren't familar with a simple .223 caliber rifle, then ffwd to 6:00 and watch how a simple hunting rifle transforms to something that "scares you" :rolleyes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yATeti5GmI8

And good luck with that nice long prison sentence. I can't believe people like you really exist.

In Ohio I will not go to prison. I'll be going to a hotel while the service cleans up the mess is all. Read up on our Castle Doctrine. I'm a certified CCW Instructor and would be happy to discuss Ohio gun law with you.

Since we are talking about the UK, there will be an armed response unit there in fifteen minutes, and they will separate you from your arms. The state you are in afterwards depends on how much you try to hold on to your arms. The time you spend in jail also depends on the same thing.

A response time of 15 minutes :eek: Good luck with that.....

What's amazing is how many Americans claim they are Christians.

I'm Catholic and last I checked, God will forgive me for defending my life and that of my family should I need to kill an intruder/attacker. Yes, even if they are threatening me with violence for an iPhone.

Last edited:

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
Find My iPhone lets you lock, erase, or brick an iPhone remotely. You can also see where it is, and...um...talk the guy into returning it.

Can also make it beep loudly, great for when the kids have hidden it.

It doesn't allow you to "brick" the iPhone. It forces the thief to restore as new in iTunes. :(

----------

and the question is, who buys these stolen goods? Honestly, I can't believe there's a market for this. Does anyone have any integrity left?

People usually don't know it's stolen. The only hope of recovering it is to give the serial number to the police who check local pawn shops to see if anyone has pawned stolen devices. Other than that... craigslist/ebay/etc there's not a way to tell if its been stolen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.