Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyberghoser1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Athens, Hellas
Hello all, i currently have a deal on a Powerbook G4 15' 1.67GHz 2GB RAM 60GB 7200 rpm HDD, Airport etc.. in very good condition, battery is old but i will use it on ac power so no problem on that, the price is 238$, it doesnt seem to have the Narcoleptic Aluminum Powerbook Syndrome. Thats the first deal, on the other hand for 13$ less i can get a Lenovo u350 with dual core u7300 @ 1.3GHz with 4GB RAM DDR3 and 320GB 5400 rpm HDD, 13" screen, what do you think? I would like to get a Powerbook, its just that i fear the Narcoleptip thingy if it appears in time, need your thoughts, thanks!

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What are your needs? I have that machine and its aging terribly. It can't run the newest flash for example. It's a fine deal, but is it supposed to be your only computer?

cyberghoser1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Athens, Hellas
Thanks for the quick answer, no it will not be my main machine, but i will spend a lot of time on it, with leopard 10.5.8 and latest version of safari on it it might go well for browsing, as for flash, which i hate no matter what, i can use flash block i guess, the only thing that keeps me away is that sleep thingy that might occur sooner or later..

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I can't tell you how to spend your pennies but I do want a turkey sandwich.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
I have one of those except with a 160 gig hdd. Still use it as a secondary computer, but the video is not always acceptable, dropped frames in HD and sometimes sluggish on You Tube.

cyberghoser1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Athens, Hellas
I have one of those except with a 160 gig hdd. Still use it as a secondary computer, but the video is not always acceptable, dropped frames in HD and sometimes sluggish on You Tube.

Well one of the two I said will be mine today...im still thinking which one to take..

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
You'd be better off posting in the G4 section. Having used a G4 mini for a long time with similar specs I would recommend avoiding it, though. There is slim to no software support still out there for G4s.

cyberghoser1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Athens, Hellas
You'd be better off posting in the G4 section. Having used a G4 mini for a long time with similar specs I would recommend avoiding it, though. There is slim to no software support still out there for G4s.

Yeah im almost coming to the same conclusion...lenovo here i come..., still have my ibook g4 for tests.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

There is that. I just love those old PowerBooks though.

And I still don't have a damn turkey sandwich. :(

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I love the powerbooks - I am just so bummed that they cannot handle the latest software anymore. A year ago I was able to get away with it, but now even chrome is a no go. Still it is a pleasure to own one of those things, and if anything you should consider getting a classic mbp to satisfy your craving for that body styling.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
ahhhhhh the dog days of last summer sitting hunched over on my powerbook trying to make it look like mountain lion.

Congrats on your purchase and i'll see you in the PowerPc forum

cyberghoser1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Athens, Hellas
Is it the hi-res model?

I remember the PowerBook G4 15" Dual-Layer SuperDrive.

It's PowerBook5,6 vs PowerBook5,9

Some of the later 80GB models we were ordering were shipping with 7200RPM 100GB drives. :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20051030055019/http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index15.html

ahhhhhh the dog days of last summer sitting hunched over on my powerbook trying to make it look like mountain lion.

Congrats on your purchase and i'll see you in the PowerPc forum

Its exactly that model, in very good condition, and of course the 7200 rpm hdd, thanks ill see ya there too!

frank.deale

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2010
I have a G4 PowerBook that I got around the year 2000 and can't run anything over I think 10.4.11.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
I've got a 1.5GHz PB G4 that was ordered on the day of introduction, April 2004 I believe. That's the last new one I bought. I've got a ragtag 2006 C2 MacBook that is made up of pieces from 4 of them. It won't got higher than 10.6, and the G4 has 10.5, and has not been rebooted in about 900 days. It sits in the garage and has IRC and Safari running for Gmail. Since Gmail forced the "new look", it basically can't do it. The Safari runs so awfully slow, It's because the thing needs to be rebooted. But I'm trying to make 1,000 days of uptime before I do. Then I'll see how much longer it goes or I can stand it. But as long as it runs the terminal application and X-Chat Aqua, I don't care. :)

cyberghoser1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Athens, Hellas
Well, I might be crazy or something but actually browsing is very good in here and the machine is very responsive, i know i cannot use newest software, but the powerbook is not for that, its for daily minor tasks as when i am lazy to power on my iMac, sitting in my bed, as for Youtube, MacTubes....enough said :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.