Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
I live a few blocks from the 5th avenue Apple Store, but there are small tiny scratches on the bezel, camera, and sides. This was a replacement of my other iPhone . I'm afraid if I turn the phone in they won't be able to see the scratches since its only visible is bright light or sunlight. These scratches will obviously decrease the resale value.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I live a few blocks from the 5th avenue Apple Store, but there are small tiny scratches on the bezel, camera, and sides. This was a replacement of my other iPhone . I'm afraid if I turn the phone in they won't be able to see the scratches since its only visible is bright light or sunlight. These scratches will obviously decrease the resale value.

Seek professional help. Really.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I would take it back. I don't usually resell my phones, but if you do this could be important. If they refuse the return call Apple and see what they can do for you.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You're over reacting over marks that can't be seen during use or even normal operating areas. If you're concerned about resale value, get AppleCare + and replace the phone prior to selling it. Resale value shouldn't even really be taken into consideration when buying a product. Use it.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
You're over reacting over marks that can't be seen during use or even normal operating areas. If you're concerned about resale value, get AppleCare + and replace the phone prior to selling it. Resale value shouldn't even really be taken into consideration when buying a product. Use it.

That depends on the person. If he plans on putting a huge case and a screen protector on it to keep the phone from having any noticeable wear when it comes time to sell it, scratches out of the box need to be taken into consideration based solely on the fact that if he accepts it he's knowingly taking money out of his own pocket. To each their own. I don't know his financial situation. I don't resell my phones, I typically give them to friends or family because I'm good like that.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
That depends on the person. If he plans on putting a huge case and a screen protector on it to keep the phone from having any noticeable wear when it comes time to sell it, scratches out of the box need to be taken into consideration based solely on the fact that if he accepts it he's knowingly taking money out of his own pocket. To each their own. I don't know his financial situation. I don't resell my phones, I typically give them to friends or family because I'm good like that.

If he has AppleCare +, scratches out of the box don't even matter, especially if they aren't visible to the naked unless under extreme conditions.

He can replace the phone twice for any reason whatsoever with AppleCare + so when he wants to sell, just go get a nice new refurb that looks brand new.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
If he has AppleCare +, scratches out of the box don't even matter, especially if they aren't visible to the naked unless under extreme conditions.

He can replace the phone twice for any reason whatsoever with AppleCare + so when he wants to sell, just go get a nice new refurb that looks brand new.

Just FYI, it's not "for any reason whatsoever". Apple doesn't have to replace it if it doesn't affect the way you use it. Even if you have AC+ and want to pay the $49 fee.

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplusforipadenglish.pdf

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Just FYI, it's not "for any reason whatsoever". Apple doesn't have to replace it if it doesn't affect the way you use it. Even if you have AC+ and want to pay the $49 fee.

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplusforipadenglish.pdf

So go damage the phone and turn it in. Simple as that.

I didn't mean for that to sound like he could replace it because he didn't like the way the light reflected off chamfered edge on one corner. I just meant, if it's damaged in anyway that might affect usability , he can replace it.

Last edited:

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
You're worried that apple won't be able to see these scratches but another buyer will when you're selling the phone? :confused:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
So go damage the phone and turn it in. Simple as that.

I didn't mean for that to sound like he could replace it because he didn't like the way the light reflected off chamfered edge on one corner. I just meant, if it's damaged in anyway that might affect usability , he can replace it.

That's called fraud. Simple as that. :) Do I think people do it? Of course they do, but I couldn't do it myself. I have insurance instead of AC+ which covers the OOW cost. I'd assume Apple would be much more lenient to swap one for the OOW cost versus the $49 AC+ fee.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
That's called fraud. Simple as that. :) Do I think people do it? Of course they do, but I couldn't do it myself. I have insurance instead of AC+ which covers the OOW cost. I'd assume Apple would be much more lenient to swap one for the OOW cost versus the $49 AC+ fee.

I'm just going off of what an apple store rep told me. She said some people swap them out to sell later on even though nothing is really wrong with them but then went on to say, wouldn't you get more enjoyment throwing it against a wall first?

I don't see it as fraud at all. I paid extra for insurance to cover the replacement of any accidental damages. Who's to say what's accidental if I was angry and threw my phone at someone? Or someone else threw my phone.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
How will you protect the phone from any additional marks? If they are microscopic... Do you really think your buyer will see them? Can you post pics?

I've sold iDevices before and people just sort of look them over quickly to see if there's any obvious damage. How much do you really think these marks will devalue your phone?

----------

Why dont you bring in a magnifying glass or microscope so they can see the tiny marks and replace it for you:D

This is obviously the way to go!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I'm just going off of what an apple store rep told me. She said some people swap them out to sell later on even though nothing is really wrong with them but then went on to say, wouldn't you get more enjoyment throwing it against a wall first?

I don't see it as fraud at all. I paid extra for insurance to cover the replacement of any accidental damages. Who's to say what's accidental if I was angry and threw my phone at someone? Or someone else threw my phone.

Oh no, I completely understand. I'm just going by what the AC+ Terms and Conditions say. I'd guess they'll probably swap it, but I was just stating that they *don't* have to unless you can't use it normally. The specifically state that scratches and dents aren't covered. But, like I said, they probably would end up letting you swap it.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Oh no, I completely understand. I'm just going by what the AC+ Terms and Conditions say. I'd guess they'll probably swap it, but I was just stating that they *don't* have to unless you can't use it normally. The specifically state that scratches and dents aren't covered. But, like I said, they probably would end up letting you swap it.

Apple accidentally sent me an extra 5 on my last swap. I got phones from FedEx on back to back days. My credit card only had one hold placed on it. I called Apple and told them and they thanked me for my honesty and admitted it was an error on their part. They've since screwed me over. I consider myself an honest person, but I'm not so sure that it really pays to be that way.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

Now I'm tracking (like a choo choo). That's a bit excessive, but I do think the Apple Store's would probably suck up to the customer enough just to avoid pissing them off in those cases. Sad, but yeah, probably happens a lot.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Now I'm tracking (like a choo choo). That's a bit excessive, but I do think the Apple Store's would probably suck up to the customer enough just to avoid pissing them off in those cases. Sad, but yeah, probably happens a lot.

Agreed. They'd rather you leave happy than angry.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Bzzzzzt. None of the above. The answer we were looking for was "Anal Retentive". But here's Jan with a nice consolation prize...

Woo hoo. I get a prize. Please, no microscopic scratches on the prize that I can see at 2 in afternoon, with a sun angle of 53.7 degrees, semi filtered by cirrus cloud deck at 27,000 feet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.