Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calisi*

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Down under land
Hi everyone, just wondering how many cycles it took you for the iPhone battery to improve.. and how much it improved by?

Also would it be a good idea to drain to about 10% and keep charging to full for a few nights?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Don't understand your first question. My iPhone battery didn't have any problems from the start.

They say it's best when you charge whenever the battery reaches red (<20%). Also, they say it's best to drain it to 0% and then charge it back to 100% every month (Full cycle once every month).

They say.... Everything up to you though.:)

Calisi*

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Down under land
Don't understand your first question. My iPhone battery didn't have any problems from the start.

They say it's best when you charge whenever the battery reaches red (<20%). Also, they say it's best to drain it to 0% and then charge it back to 100% every month (Full cycle once every month).

They say.... Everything up to you though.:)
People say after a certain amount of full cycles when they first get their iPhone, their battery improves. My iPhone battery is terrible at going down so I'm trying to fully cycle it in hope it improves.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
People say after a certain amount of full cycles when they first get their iPhone, their battery improves. My iPhone battery is terrible at going down so I'm trying to fully cycle it in hope it improves.

Rubbish the iphone contains the same battery thecnology as the MacBook range. It's ready to use and preconditioned.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

Rubbish the iphone contains the same battery thecnology as the MacBook range. It's ready to use and preconditioned.

Lol Calisi, haven't heard anyone saying that in the forums. The battery should be alright when you buy the iPhone. If it isn't, do an iTunes restore or get a replacement if it doesn't help.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The old wife's tale says... After a "break in" period the battery THEN reaches its full capacity.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
If anything, the break in period is the USER - getting more used to their phone, using it less because it has less of that "NEW" feeling thus getting more battery life.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Hi everyone, just wondering how many cycles it took you for the iPhone battery to improve.. and how much it improved by?

Also would it be a good idea to drain to about 10% and keep charging to full for a few nights?

From what I've noticed, takes about two weeks of usage for the new battery to be running at full capacity for the iPhones.

Here's my rule for Lithium-ion polymer batteries

Charge it constantly, at the desk or with a car charger and also overnight charging.

I don't allow the batt to drop lower then 30% at any given time, even if I decide not to drive to work or charge it at my desk.

Power cycle the battery once a month for conditioning.

My iPhone 3G is still going very strong on the original battery. My coworker who always drained his 3GS battery down to 0% everyday had to replace it on the 14th month, the thing dies at 49% and when you plug it back into the charger it powers on at 50% LOL

On my old Palm Treo 680, I would have TomTom running while plugged into the car charger all the time. After 2 years, the battery wasn't as great as the GF's 680, which was only charged nightly.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
From what I've noticed, takes about two weeks of usage for the new battery to be running at full capacity for the iPhones.

Here's my rule for Lithium-ion polymer batteries

Charge it constantly, at the desk or with a car charger and also overnight charging.

I don't allow the batt to drop lower then 30% at any given time, even if I decide not to drive to work or charge it at my desk.

Power cycle the battery once a month for conditioning.

My iPhone 3G is still going very strong on the original battery. My coworker who always drained his 3GS battery down to 0% everyday had to replace it on the 14th month, the thing dies at 49% and when you plug it back into the charger it powers on at 50% LOL

On my old Palm Treo 680, I would have TomTom running while plugged into the car charger all the time. After 2 years, the battery wasn't as great as the GF's 680, which was only charged nightly.

This. Also, don't let the phone plugged in when its battery is full.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
This. Also, don't let the phone plugged in when its battery is full.

No need to worry about that, iOS has a built in discharge system and takes off 1% for every 20 mins. Just like the Macbooks, they have battery managing system that is built in to the hardware and software.

Of course don't leave it on the charger 24/7 a day like the demo units and those batteries are discharging due to overheating all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.