Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulWog

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
I'm looking at picking up an iPhone 5 on a contract, but I'm on the edge about it. I've been comparing it to the Galaxy S3, and the differences between the two are so minuscule, save for the screen size difference.

Here's where I'm on the edge: The S4 looks like it's going to be pretty nice, and it'll probably take an iPhone 6 to beat it out (unless if the iPhone 5S were to be more than just a silly increment).

So I'm wondering... is the iPhone 5 worth getting right now? I don't have a smartphone at the moment at all, and I'm looking at a limited-time offer on a plan which is better than any data plan I've seen in the past couple years ($56 per month for unlimited texts & calls incoming/outgoing, plus 2GB of LTE data monthly, plus caller ID & voicemail & call forwarding included free, plus each 500MB over is only $5). That's with Fido in Canada (I'll be looking at the deal in store to make sure it's what they say it is on their website).

Anywayyyy...

I'm trying to decide as to whether or not I could be happy with the iPhone 5 for at least a couple of years, or whether it will feel dated very quickly.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I owned an S3 prior to the i5 and I like the i5 better. The S3 was just too big for my taste. Though it is a fine device. Just keep in mind that if you go with the iPhone you may have to have it replaced a few times.

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Read the specs on the websites, objective reviews, and make up your mind. You're asking this on an Apple-related forum.

I have the 5 and love it. People that have the Samsung phone ask to look and use mine all the time, but its entirely up to you.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Anywayyyy...

I'm trying to decide as to whether or not I could be happy with the iPhone 5 for at least a couple of years, or whether it will feel dated very quickly.

It depends on multiple factors. How invested are you into the Apple 'ecosystem'? I prefer product line, but the hip slang is the previous. Another point is whether or not you want the larger sized screen of the Galaxy S III or the more compact iPhone 5. If you want access to expandable memory via a Micro SD card and the option to have user replaceable batteries you'll want to purchase the Galaxy S III. The iPhone 5 will receive updates for a longer period of time, though, if previous flagship Android devices are accurate track records.

In the end you'll have to do your homework. With that I'd like to add a personal opinion about the Galaxy S III. It suits my needs perfectly and I'm happy with the performance and battery life. It did take an adjustment to cope with the differences between iOS and Android, but the transition was smooth.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
I had an S3, with an Ip 4 before that. S3 was great, but the IP 5 is much better. It just works and fits into the Apple system. Try it. You probably have a couple of weeks to decide to keep it.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
If you enjoy iOS, without question get the iPhone 5. That's what makes it for me, the exceptional hardware and build quality is just an added bonus. I enjoy Android as well but could never live with it day-to-day such as on a phone. :apple:

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I'm in UK so not sure about other contracts but got an S3 free on a data unlimited for £34/month.

I've had it for 6 months now, great phone, still a little laggy at times though.

I'm on the Apple Eco system with an iMac, iPads , apple TVs etc so decided to buy an iPhone 5 SIM free from Apple (£600 gulp!!)

I'm trying it out now, so far I'm struggling with the keyboard and screen size though. I have 14 days to return I believe. It is smoother and slicker though....decisions....

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
I'm looking at picking up an iPhone 5 on a contract, but I'm on the edge about it. I've been comparing it to the Galaxy S3, and the differences between the two are so minuscule, save for the screen size difference.

Here's where I'm on the edge: The S4 looks like it's going to be pretty nice, and it'll probably take an iPhone 6 to beat it out (unless if the iPhone 5S were to be more than just a silly increment).

So I'm wondering... is the iPhone 5 worth getting right now? I don't have a smartphone at the moment at all, and I'm looking at a limited-time offer on a plan which is better than any data plan I've seen in the past couple years ($56 per month for unlimited texts & calls incoming/outgoing, plus 2GB of LTE data monthly, plus caller ID & voicemail & call forwarding included free, plus each 500MB over is only $5). That's with Fido in Canada (I'll be looking at the deal in store to make sure it's what they say it is on their website).

Anywayyyy...

Fido promo plan only for the S3 and its a 2-years contract only! If you want the iphone 5 you must pick one of the 3-years contract!

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Read the specs on the websites, objective reviews, and make up your mind. You're asking this on an Apple-related forum.

I have the 5 and love it. People that have the Samsung phone ask to look and use mine all the time, but its entirely up to you.

True. It actually sounds like the OP prefers the Galaxy line more that then iphone based on the above comments. So perhaps you should wait until the S4 comes out and then decide. On this forum, most of us have/like/love iphones, so you are going to get a skewed opinion here about what to buy.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
SGS2 to iPhone 5. I use MacBook Air but on windows 7 OS. I love my iPad.
My take, the integration of hardware and software is unparalleled on the iPhone 5. The total absence of lag on iPhone, the delays in killing non responsive programs on Android are big things for me. The only thing is I miss Skype on the iPhone. I have switched to voice input, but in meetings, I am locked into slow typing for SMS.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I considered the S3, but chose against it.

I didn't like its size, shape, camera, all the carrier bloatware, its UI, the thought of limited OS updates, or its incredibly off putting blue/green screen tint.

Rooting the device and installing a custom ROM would have been necessary, and honestly that pissed me off. The last thing I want to do is buy something new and have to fix it myself.

YMMV

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Well, since this is a Mac/Apple forum, I would expect most to say to go with the iPhone. :D

It's a personal choice. There are negatives and positives for both phones.

Get the one YOU like the best and will fit what YOU want it to do. If your not integrated into the Apple ecosystem it would make the choice tougher.

Do you like a huge phone/screen? I think that's what it comes down to. Outside of the size, they are basically the same technology wise, outside of Jelly Bean vs. iOS.

Go with what YOU want. I doubt that you'll be disappointed with either.

That said, the new S4 is supposed to be coming out soon (possibly the 5s as well), so you have that option as well.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
at the end of the day, it's your money and you choose to purchase whatever you want.

And by the time you decide, the 5S is right around the corner

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I see no reason that you wouldn't be happy with a iP5 for at least two years. It will get the newest OS save for maybe one or two features that will be reserved for newer models. It's a outstanding device and an excellent first smartphone.
The new Galaxy will be out soon but you'll have to decide is it worth the wait and do you prefer Android over iOS. There will always be a new device that temps you if you like tech. I would say that if you're looking for something that will last you for a couple of years, stay up to date with new software,bug fixes and new features then iOS and the iPhone 5 is your solution. If you want something that will get you by for a couple of years I think Android isn't a bad choice especially if you like to tinker. There's a ton of cool stuff you can do with a rooted Android.
In the end you have to decide what would you like to use everyday for two years. Most here would agree that iOS is the way to go but if you go to a android site it will be polar opposite.

melpote

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
GA
Hello. I've had an S3 since June. I tried and tried to make the switch. I tried to make the switch because I loved that big screen on the S3. I was also a little jealous because my friends' phones seemed to have more bells and whistles. But android to me is just so unstable compared to apple's ios. The way that the phone has problems reading the external sd card, waiting forever to get JB, the music player is a nightmare and two other players I tried never worked right either, sometimes the phone would just freeze and stop working, and some of the apps are sketchy and a lot of times downloading malware with the app... these are just a few of my gripes. I never had any of these issues with my iphone 4S.

I actually just bought the iphone 5 yesterday becuase I was absolutely sick of fighting with it. I saw it mentioned earlier that it is your preference. This is true. Just ask yourself what you want to use the phone for. I want my phone to make calls, text, listen to music, and surf the net. The iphone just does this stuff better to me. Coming from someone that has had experience using both OS, if you are used to apple, and if you love apple, you will hate hate hate android.

Another thing that I DO like about the Samsung other than the screen is the battery. It would last me a long day at work 12 hours easy (and that is texting, playing online, and listening to music). You also can customize the phone and this is fun.

It is up to you though! Good luck!

Mel:D

PaulWog

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
Thanks for all the input!

I'm holding off for now. Turns out the plan (as mentioned above) is only on a 2-year, can't be done with the iPhone, and requires that if I were to get the S3 that I pay $250 for it. That factored in, it's a $67 per month plan... which doesn't beat out the competition by much (though it does beat out the competition by a bit).

Since I don't absolutely require a smartphone, I'm going to wait for the iPhone 5S or 6, whichever rolls around & makes sense... and I'll also look at the S4, which might be enticing as well.

All these games cellphone companies play with the consumer... it bothers me! I want to pay a good flat rate and sign up for a no-bs contract. Ah well... that's not an option right now & not in the foreseeable future, however I'll at least stay optimistic and hopefully I'll at least get the phone I want in 3-6+ months' time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.