Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexwei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Hey guys,
I'm just curious here,
How many of you are leaving your AC power plugged in to your laptop when it's sleeping?

And how many of you aren't let it plugged in??

Please share your personal experience with me.

Thanks!!!

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Since my rMBP is a desktop replacement, it is plugged in (to ATD) 24/7 when we are home. Once or so a week I will disconnect the power cable to let the battery cycle down to around 50% power and then reconnect the power from ATD.

alexwei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Thanks guys, I was so afraid to plug it in until today and now I already have 49 cycles on my rMBP within a month.

Btw, what does ATD mean??
Sorry I'm still new here.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Thanks guys, I was so afraid to plug it in until today and now I already have 49 cycles on my rMBP within a month.

Btw, what does ATD mean??
Sorry I'm still new here.

Why? The computer has a lithium polymer battery with a chip built in, it takes care of itself. Plug it in when you can, use it on battery when you want, it doesn't matter, at all.

So long as the battery gets used once in a while, no harm will be done to it even if you leave it plugged in all the time.

Do you overthink your cell phone's charging routine as well? You probably plug it in when you can and use it on it's battery the rest of the time. The same applies here.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Most of the time its plugged unless I carry it around.

My MBP is 22 month old and had 92 cycles.
Which means I leaved it plugged in MOST of the time.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I leave it plugged in throughout the day when it's seeping, but unplug it at night when it's sleeping inside my bag.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. You don't need to run on battery all the time, if AC power is available. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Gutter Duster

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Mountains of SoCalif
Another noob here and not trying to change the post, but what is a "CYCLE" :confused:. A few of you have mentioned that word here.

After I posted this I saw another post explaining what a "Cycle" is...no need to respond.

Last edited:

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Since my rMBP is a desktop replacement, it is plugged in (to ATD) 24/7 when we are home. Once or so a week I will disconnect the power cable to let the battery cycle down to around 50% power and then reconnect the power from ATD.

And I thought I was the only one who used my rMBP this way. :eek:

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I keep it plugged in all the time unless I don't want to use it at my desk. A couple of times a week I will run it down to 50% but that's it.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to keep it plugged in if you don't need it. Letting your battery drain for no reason is one of the least sensical things you can do with your laptop.

alexwei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Why? The computer has a lithium polymer battery with a chip built in, it takes care of itself. Plug it in when you can, use it on battery when you want, it doesn't matter, at all.

So long as the battery gets used once in a while, no harm will be done to it even if you leave it plugged in all the time.

Do you overthink your cell phone's charging routine as well? You probably plug it in when you can and use it on it's battery the rest of the time. The same applies here.

Thanks, but I actually don't think that much about charging my 4s.
I think the reason why I'm worried so much about the battery issue is because this machine is SO expensive and I want to take super good care of it.

----------

I usually only keep my macbook plugged in when it needs charging. Normally that is 3 nights a week.

I keep it plugged in all the time unless I don't want to use it at my desk. A couple of times a week I will run it down to 50% but that's it.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to keep it plugged in if you don't need it. Letting your battery drain for no reason is one of the least sensical things you can do with your laptop.

Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.