Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajkr711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Michigan/USA
for an extra $135 (edu discount), why WOULDN'T I get the additional 2TB of storage? or am I missing something?

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
for an extra $135 (edu discount), why WOULDN'T I get the additional 2TB of storage? or am I missing something?

The only downside is you cannot "officially" install Windows though bootcamp on the 3TB Fusion, only on the 1TB. However there are many guides online on how to install Windows on the 3tb fusion, i did it myself with no issues.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ

Perhaps you only have 500GB of stuff to store?

When shopping for trash bags, do you always buy the largest the store carries (because they only cost a little bit more), despite the fact that your kitchen can only takes 13 gallon bags? Bigger isn't necessarily always better.. you should find the right fit for what you expect to use, and get it. If you buy a 3TB drive and never use more than 750GB, you've wasted your $135.

sergiobaschi

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden

That's a ridiculous price, and you're totally right. Go for it.

In Sweden, also with education discount, the price difference is $204 (+50%). That's also ridiculous, but in another way.

ajkr711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Michigan/USA
Thanks for the quick responses...I haven't needed Bootcamp up to this point in utilizing an iMac (current version is the Late 2006 version), so I'm not sure that would be an issue.

My primary reason to up to the 3TB would be to help "future proof" it a little bit and so that I can use it for another 5-6 years.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
My primary reason to up to the 3TB would be to help "future proof" it a little bit and so that I can use it for another 5-6 years.

You should know that:
- Storage alone won't really future proof you
- It's relatively easy for an authorized repair shop to replace the HDD (once they figure out how to get past the screen.. it seems to be a learning process, but once people learn it it's not bad)
- Years 4-6 are the most likely times a spinner will fail.

If you have plans of compiling an extensive video library over the next few years and want to store it internally, it will be worth it. Otherwise, probably not.

ajkr711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Michigan/USA
You should know that:
- Storage alone won't really future proof you
- It's relatively easy for an authorized repair shop to replace the HDD (once they figure out how to get past the screen.. it seems to be a learning process, but once people learn it it's not bad)
- Years 4-6 are the most likely times a spinner will fail.

If you have plans of compiling an extensive video library over the next few years and want to store it internally, it will be worth it. Otherwise, probably not.

that's actually one of the main reasons I'm considering it...home videos and importing all of our DVDs into iTunes.

MacCruiZe

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
My first Mac had a 350MB Hard Drive and that was unbelievably huge. (at the time)

For that reason, I chose the 3TB Fusion. I see what you mean about the trashbag annalogy, but it's easier to take the trash out than install a bigger HD (esp in an iMac) !

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
that's actually one of the main reasons I'm considering it...home videos and importing all of our DVDs into iTunes.

Also remember, the 2012 iMac's have USB 3.0 as well as Thunderbolt, so you have a lot of data bandwidth for adding external drives.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

What many people don't realize is that a spinning hard disk drive gets slower as it is filled. The last gigabyte has a read/write speed that can be as low as 40% of the very first gigabyte. So if you store 900 GB, the 1TB drive is 90% full and accordingly slow, while the 3TB drive is only 30% full and accordingly still fast.

ajkr711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Michigan/USA
What many people don't realize is that a spinning hard disk drive gets slower as it is filled. The last gigabyte has a read/write speed that can be as low as 40% of the very first gigabyte. So if you store 900 GB, the 1TB drive is 90% full and accordingly slow, while the 3TB drive is only 30% full and accordingly still fast.

yet another reason to go with the 3TB Fusion...

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

While that's very true, it's not the full story. That's because the hard drive does not save the first files in the quickest area, and then progresses towards the slower areas as you fill it up. It is random.

So you can have 1gb of used hard drive, and that 1gb could be located in the spot of the hard drive that has the worst performance. Thus, even if your hard drive is empty, you can still have as bad performance as if it was completely full and having to access stuff on the edges.

Vaschamp

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
I'd go 3TB

In my opinion if it were in a machine where it was easy to upgrade the hard drive then having a lower capacity wouldnt bother me. I'd say it's better to have the space and not need it then to need it and not have it. for the money the 3tb upgrade is a no brainer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.